Water smells when first turned on - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2018, 11:12 AM   #1

Arizona
Water smells when first turned on

When we first turn on the water (cold or hot) in either our bathroom or kitchen sink, we get a strong sewer smell. The annode rod was replaced a few months ago. The inline vents under each sink have been replaced, and there is no obstruction in the vent pipe that goes through the roof. We also flushed out the washing machine line since we do not have a washing machine and thought that stagnant water may have been accumulating in the pipes. Our gray tanks are open so no water is accumulating in them (which we have done forever). We are stumped. It only happens when we turn the faucets on and lasts about 15 seconds, but the odor is very strong. Any thoughts on what may be causing this?

cmzoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:08 PM   #2

California
Are you using fresh water tank and pump or a city connection ?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

keegantimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:48 PM   #3

Arizona
City connection.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:58 PM   #4

California
In my research over the years I have learned numerous causes.
Strainers at each faucet clogged with junk
Some pumps have a strainer attached to the body. ( realize your not using pump)
Dirty hot water tank.
I think I would start by flushing and sanitizing your complete water supply system. It might be easier to do this thru the tank and pump.
Also ensure your source water isn't the problem.
Lots of info on Forest River Forum

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
keegantimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:00 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmzoet View Post
City connection.

Have you tried removing the filter screens on the faucets and flushing them out?

I've had Evergreen tree parts in brand new faucet screens.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:25 PM   #6

Michigan
Are you using this rig full time or is it sitting for a week or two between uses?
nickthehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:06 PM   #7

Florida
Is it the hot water or cold?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:37 PM   #8

Arizona
Full time.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #9

Arizona
Both hot and cold. Hot water heater was recently flushed when anode rod replaced.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:13 PM   #10

Florida
I have that problem here at our georgia house... When I leave the hot water tank full and we are gone for at least a month, the water in the tank turns sulfuric and smells the way you describe. So now, when we leave here, I turn the water off and open all the low point drains in the hose. WHen we get back after being gone several months, the hot water still smells sulfuric but it is a lot less noticeable until I get the hot water heater flushed out. WHich takes about five minutes. I understand that the issue is with the anode rod in the hot water heater and the quality of the water here in Nicholls Georgia. I have had their water tested and they could not find anything wrong so I just put up with the issue for now.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:38 PM   #11

Arizona
We encounter this every day, every time we turn the faucet on. We are full timers so is not a result of water that has been sitting. We will be moving to a different location next week and we will are if it continues with a different city water source.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:48 PM   #12

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmzoet View Post
We encounter this every day, every time we turn the faucet on. We are full timers so is not a result of water that has been sitting. We will be moving to a different location next week and we will are if it continues with a different city water source.
I utilize a filter and a water softener (flow pur PRO) on my RV. have you tried putting a filter on the incoming water from the campground? One of the new charcoal ones?
Old 06-02-2018, 11:25 AM   #13
Site Team

North Carolina
Does the water heater have an electric element too? If so it may be the cause. I would try one of the inexpensive (relatively) water filters. I have used them with good results for years. I buy the two pack from WM, best bang for the buck. Then replace them annually or more often if they get contaminated by campground well water.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:58 PM   #14

California
We had that problem too. It stopped when we closed the grey tank. Figured that the smell was back up from the hookup...yuk! We only get that smell now if we leave the trank open too long. So, we're convinced that some places do not empty the septic system soon enough.
RoadWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:39 AM   #15

Alberta
Iron bacteria

google up iron bacteria ( maybe iron sulphate bacteria ) Any site talking about this bacteria will explain your smell and how to possibly remove. Won't be easy but can be done.
Moose111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:04 AM   #16

Ontario
Have you tried taking a drink directly from your city water tap? Some cities have very stinky water. Are you in Flint by any chance?
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:14 AM   #17

Washington
Smelly Water

One owners manual I had with my 2004 Komfort warned that hydrogen sulfide can form in your water lines if the water is not refreshed frequently. This is a normal thing but one for which the solution the manual gave was just run the water for a few seconds. The manual also warned that the gas is flammable and so as a precaution you should not have an open flame going when you first turn on your water. Funny thing but my 2017 Dutchmen manual did not have this warning. Not sure what that means.

In 14 years of owning the Komfort I think we only noticed the gas a couple of times.

Good Luck.
Dansker47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:55 PM   #18

Michigan
Try filling a jug of water. Do not let any water go down the drain. If you get the smell then it is water supply related. Follow the recommendations already given. If you don’t get the smell, it is drain related. Like another posted suggested, it is probably sewer gases coming up through the drain.
Camper144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:30 PM   #19

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper144 View Post
Try filling a jug of water. Do not let any water go down the drain. If you get the smell then it is water supply related. Follow the recommendations already given. If you don’t get the smell, it is drain related. Like another posted suggested, it is probably sewer gases coming up through the drain.
Yep the chances are real good that the water either sloshed out of/or evaporated from the P traps during your idle time. Turning the water back on just fills your p-traps up and stops the tank odor.

I store my motor home at my house, so once a week I will go out and turn water on in all sinks an shower flush toilet too, just to keep water in the traps and smell out of RV.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:31 PM   #20

Ontario
I've heard that a little vegetable oil poured into the traps will stop the water from evaporating.

joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote