Water Intrusion Schwintek Slide - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2015, 02:59 AM   #1

Tennessee
Water Intrusion Schwintek Slide

*Brand: DutchmenModel: Infinity 3850RLState: MainePosts: 61Schwintek water damageWe have finally realized (Dutchmen, Me, & RV repair facility) why my bedroom slide never really slid in up against the outside wall.

*WATER DAMAGE. This was created by the Schwintek bracket at the bottom corner. It was allowing rainwater to back in behind the bracket.

I Found the above on the Thor forum. Ive been in Gulf Shores Alabama for 2 months and noticed after all this rain we've had in the past few days corner is soaking wet. Dispite my extra efforts water is still coming in somewhere. Its on the very outer corner but its working its way inward which is not good. Ive sealed up all gear racks on the ends... facia... everything. I give up. Any suggestions, cant imagine where its coming from. Btw, I have toppers and have resealed everything up top as well!

Thanks
Slim

Old 04-14-2015, 09:24 PM   #2

Virginia
Water Intrusion Schwintek Slide

Slim, I had some too on the stbd side. Under the gutter spout the end trim piece was no silicone. Filled that in and no more problems. The drip would show itself on the stbd nightstand in the 3895. Maybe something to look at. Good luck, hope you find it.

Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:58 AM   #3

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboy View Post
Slim, I had some too on the stbd side. Under the gutter spout the end trim piece was no silicone. Filled that in and no more problems. The drip would show itself on the stbd nightstand in the 3895. Maybe something to look at. Good luck, hope you find it.
Thanks Scott,

I'm in the process again of isolation. Should have mentioned its the large slide on the 3200. It's getting wet on the outside underneath corners, not inside yet. but if I cant find it.. it will be inside eventually. Not sure where its coming from.. so I will be relentless until I locate it. Other owners have it as well.. they just haven't noticed it yet. Osb will swell causing problems if not found in a timely manner. Thought I had a handle on this last year, apparently not, aggravating task.. thanks for your input.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:23 PM   #4

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2b View Post
Thanks Scott,

I'm in the process again of isolation. Should have mentioned its the large slide on the 3200. It's getting wet on the outside underneath corners, not inside yet. but if I cant find it.. it will be inside eventually. Not sure where its coming from.. so I will be relentless until I locate it. Other owners have it as well.. they just haven't noticed it yet. Osb will swell causing problems if not found in a timely manner. Thought I had a handle on this last year, apparently not, aggravating task.. thanks for your input.
Could you post a pic of the location? I want to check mine and try to head it off at the pass before it happens to me.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 01:18 AM   #5

Tennessee
Cale,

Heres a pic I took when I first got the unit. Scroll down and you'll see where I described what it was. I'm not in a position at the moment to get pictures. The weather has been stormy for days, and will continue for several more....

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...fter-1435.html
Old 04-21-2015, 03:53 PM   #6

Tennessee
Okay here's what I'm talking about for those interested. The lower gear rail on the schwintek slide system if not properly sealed will let water in behind it and run underneath. Check your rails to see if they are properly sealed, mine were not! They have sealer on them but have voids.... a bad job. Clean them up use proflex clear or white, I like the white, and seal them up properly. Yours may be fine mine are not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150421_105033.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	2065   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150421_105110.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	2066  
Old 04-21-2015, 04:36 PM   #7

Maryland
Quote:
Okay here's what I'm talking about for those interested. The lower gear rail on the schwintek slide system if not properly sealed will let water in behind it and run underneath. Check your rails to see if they are properly sealed, mine were not! They have sealer on them but have voids.... a bad job. Clean them up use proflex clear or white, I like the white, and seal them up properly. Yours may be fine mine are not.
Ahh, yes. I found a severe lack of sealant in that spot on our bedroom slide. removed all the trim and re-sealed with Pro Flex. As I went to reference that thread, I see you were the one that I had posted the pics for...I still need to do my other two slides. I also need to start pulling out the white screws and replacing them with a better quality screw. I have found more screw heads popped off.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 09:30 PM   #8

Tennessee
Another thing about these osb floors, they're put together with resins waxs and other repellents then painted to help waterproof. However, when they are cut too fit if not painted or treated where cuts are made it will wick water. As you can see from the picture where the cuts are made and left unpainted and have wicked water. Luckily, those areas are not swollen or soft. Hopefully I can let it dry out good and correct. We've had a lot of rain here in the last week or so.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:04 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Quote:
I just take mine into the dealer once a year for rail and motor replacement so I'm almost sure I get new sealant each time. But,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:30 PM   #10

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I just take mine into the dealer once a year for rail and motor replacement so I'm almost sure I get new sealant each time. But,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,
Hopefully not this time around.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:44 PM   #11

Oklahoma
Quote:
Hopefully not this time around.
I certainly hope not again. I haven't exercised the slides since I brought it home and set it up. Don't know how I'm going to ride the lawn mower under them though. That's how I killed it last time.

After I get the house finished and liveable I'll give 'em a go.

My racks have/had a weather stripping gasket looking thing under them and then caulked in. No water and there has been plenty of rain lately.

I'm headed to Norris on Friday, I'll give you a wave when I pass by.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:20 AM   #12

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I'm headed to Norris on Friday, I'll give you a wave when I pass by.
I'll be watching
Old 04-22-2015, 12:54 AM   #13

Washington
Quote:
Slim, are you talking about the top of the slide rail or underneath? Also, saw your post about the bulb slide with cuts in it from the slide rails. My dealer says Dutchmen will have them replaced and re-align at no cost (warranty).

Happiness is an old pickup truck, a good dog and an understanding woman....
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:35 AM   #14

Oklahoma
From my understanding Slim is saying water is migrating behind the top of the rail and into the floor area.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:45 AM   #15

Tennessee
The lower track as shown has a foam gasket under it and is sealed fairly well as are the upper and middle tracks on the Voltage. The problem lies at the end of the tracks where they butt up to the facia. Water is flowing into the unsealed ends and getting behind the track and running under the slide corners wetting the floor corners.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150421_105033.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	2067  
Old 04-22-2015, 02:39 AM   #16

Washington
^^^Thanks, I'll check mine.

Happiness is an old pickup truck, a good dog and an understanding woman....
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:01 PM   #17

Texas
Thanks for sharing.

I've felt dampness when it rains in one corner of the main slide near the sliding door to the garage. I could'nt ever determine where the water was coming from as all the seals seem to be in good condition. This could be the culprit.
soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 12:44 PM   #18

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonernation View Post
Thanks for sharing.

I've felt dampness when it rains in one corner of the main slide near the sliding door to the garage. I could'nt ever determine where the water was coming from as all the seals seem to be in good condition. This could be the culprit.
The other end of the tracks where seals are have a piece of rubber inserted in track to prevent water from entering inside. You may want to check that too.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:46 PM   #19

Florida
Quote:
My 3950 has been at the dealer for 4 weeks now with the same type of damage. Looking at your picture on the right, the angle aluminum has 6 of the screws sheared off and the slide out never fully retracted, I could always put two fingers between the rear seal and wall. There was about 3/4 inch gap where the corners of the aluminum were supose to meet up at the miter joint, covered with sealant. Just got word today that the warrenty department at Dutchmen (Heartland) is sending that entire angle and screws with very specific instructions on how to repair this area and how to ensure the slide tracks are completely sealed. They are also replacing the top of the bedroom dresser that has water marks and starting to bubble up. No visible water leakage from roof or upper wall area.
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:35 AM   #20

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
My 3950 has been at the dealer for 4 weeks now with the same type of damage. Looking at your picture on the right, the angle aluminum has 6 of the screws sheared off and the slide out never fully retracted, I could always put two fingers between the rear seal and wall. There was about 3/4 inch gap where the corners of the aluminum were supose to meet up at the miter joint, covered with sealant. Just got word today that the warrenty department at Dutchmen (Heartland) is sending that entire angle and screws with very specific instructions on how to repair this area and how to ensure the slide tracks are completely sealed. They are also replacing the top of the bedroom dresser that has water marks and starting to bubble up. No visible water leakage from roof or upper wall area.
Will they have to remove slide to replace rail? I'm wondering if I can remove all the screws with exception of the ones between the wall and pull out and seal behind rail?