Watch out. Tires WENT BAD!! Like I was Warned. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2014, 01:40 AM   #1

California
Angry Watch out. Tires WENT BAD!! Like I was Warned.

Hi everyone,

Been a long time since I was here. The Voltage 3950 has been a great trailer, aside from its tires. Many have warned about the Akuret tires, and there are many posts on this forum about them. I was skeptical. I have even posted in threads that I'll just take my chances with them. Which is what I've done. Until today.

Trailer has sat in storage with tires covered since May, which was the month of our last trip. For the past 6 months, it's done nothing but sit. Jacks have been down, front and rear, to relieve pressure on the tires specifically.

So today, my wife and I decide to go get the trailer for a quick run to the desert this weekend. We take off the trailer cover, then uncover the tires.

What's this I see? Left rear tire has delaminated. Middle left tire has a wicked bulge and a "rim" around it. Right rear tire is flat.

I took all 6 off and hauled them to my favorite tire shop, where the guys said, Yup. They're in the process of separation.

So it turns out most like that during the laminating phase, glue or whatnot wasn't distributed evenly and completely, and during vulcanization rubber to rubber "gaps" were left, which started the process.

A few things come to mind. First, I'm blessed. This was obviously going on during our last drive home, and maybe even our previous trip, but had not become evident to the eye. I'm grateful we didn't experience the horror of delamination at 60 mph with the resultant thumping and destruction of the underside of the traier. Second, I'm glad I bought extended tire coverage. I'll be contacting them tomorrow to begin the claim process. This is totally separate from the manufacturer, which I've read is almost non responsive to claims. I'll know more soon enough. Thirdly, I should have listened to the good folks here who said there would be problems with these tires.

Six new tires are going on tomorrow. Then I'll truck them back to the trailer and install them, minus the funky chromed plastic hub covers, because those things are cheap plastic and just get in the way.

Well, that's my story. The Akuret tires are going to whatever tire grave they belong in. There are only 1,500 miles on this trailer, since I've owned it. Probably another couple thousand or so getting the unit from the manufacturer to Riverside, CA. So not that many miles to start separating. They're just flawed.

China bombs. I kind of like that title. These were ticking time bombs, certainly. And if you, my friend, are pulling your trailer with Akuret tires, it's only a matter of time before you discover you should have replaced them sooner.

Just a word to the wise. Ignore me at your own peril. I've done my part, as have others on this forum who've warned about these sad tires. Mass produced in China with little attention to detail. If your Akuret's were made correctly, that is, all steps in the process were followed carefully and completely, and vulcanization process went like it's supposed to, you may never have problems, But how are you going to know?

Gamble if you want to, but when you're hauling 18,000 pounds on 6 tires, do you really want to gamble? Or are you just stupid? Like me?

Think about it. Think real hard. The rig you save may just be your own. Replace those danged tires ASAP.

Thanks for reading. I'll have to post photos and whatnot on my blog, which is still running, just haven't been camping for 6 months, and haven't done anything with it for awhile. It's at MyVoltageRV.com

Replace those tires!

Old 11-20-2014, 01:54 AM   #2

Missouri
Nicely written, I am glad you noticed before you left!

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:42 AM   #3

Louisiana
Glad they didn't explode while you were driving. I pulled my Akuret bombs earlier this year and mounted six new Maxxis tires.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #4

Florida
What brand tires are you putting on now?
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 04:19 PM   #5

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
Glad they didn't explode while you were driving. I pulled my Akuret bombs earlier this year and mounted six new Maxxis tires.
Same here. Except 4 for me. I had plenty of tread left but I just didn't want to risk it.
soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:03 PM   #6

Indiana
I mounted Gladiator G rated 14 ply tires.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:01 AM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
What brand tires are you putting on now?
They're from Hercules, the Ironman series. 10 ply, E rated, 80 psi trailer tire. A direct replacement. I don't know what to expect from them, but Discount Tire says they stand behind them and sell a lot of them for trailer use. So we'll see. I need to look over the paperwork again. Taking the rig out tomorrow, will see how things go. I don't expect any issues. Of course I never EXPECT issues... but things happen.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #8

California
Voltageguy, thanks for this post! Our Aerolite will be delivered next month. Is Durchmen still putting these crap tires on their 2015 units?! More of a rhetorical question I suppose. We won't be taking our TT out until next April, however the dealer is driving over 2k to bring it to me. Should I replace these before I take it out for the first time? I am planning on getting an extended warranty from Good Sam which will include the extra tire deal as well. Not sure if GS will cover the replacement cost of there is no visible defects.
feetwet20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:13 PM   #9

New York
feetwet20 - my Aukerts where replaced with Westlakes - same crxx, just different name.

Read "fine print" on your GS warranty......you will really be surprised!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:16 AM   #10

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltageGuy View Post
They're from Hercules, the Ironman series. 10 ply, E rated, 80 psi trailer tire. A direct replacement. I don't know what to expect from them, but Discount Tire says they stand behind them and sell a lot of them for trailer use. So we'll see. I need to look over the paperwork again. Taking the rig out tomorrow, will see how things go. I don't expect any issues. Of course I never EXPECT issues... but things happen.
Did you have to special order them or did Discount have them on hand?
Old 11-22-2014, 03:07 AM   #11

North Carolina
FIRST thing I did when I got my trailer (BEFORE I even left the lot) was have a set of Michelin's installed.

I don't care what anyone says but the cheap POS chinese bombs are just that… a ticking time bomb to go off.

Found out the hard way on my first 5th wheel. Won't happen a second time….

Mark
orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 05:25 AM   #12

New Mexico
My picture says it all, I had few miles on the tires and the air pressure was fine until one went BOOM! The tires are junk just like Dutchmens quality and warranty with these trailers.
72mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:07 AM   #13

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72mach View Post
My picture says it all, I had few miles on the tires and the air pressure was fine until one went BOOM! The tires are junk just like Dutchmens quality and warranty with these trailers.
Man, that sucks. I didn't see the avatar with your pic. Unfortunately, that's the problem with trailers. When you get a blow out, it does so much freakin' damage with it since the trailers are made of tinsel and aluminum.

I got lucky on my first flat on my other trailer. The entire tread peeled off and rolled up on the inside of the rim.

My suggestion would be to turn it in on comprehensive on your insurance company but there is one caveat.

If YOU hit something in the road, then you collided with that item and your claim becomes a collision claim which means higher deductible and possibly a rate increase.

If something flew off a truck for instance and hit your tires, then it becomes a comprehensive claim meaning usually much lower deductible and no rate increase.

Just sayin'

Mark
orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:54 PM   #14

Texas
Previous owner of mine lost 2 tires (interestingly they were the rears on both sides)and the trailer was only about 14 months old when I purchased. I was ok on local trips and ran a tire monitor system. When we decided to go from TX to FL over the summer I decided it was easier to just replace them on my terms. I put Maxxis tires on and sold the old tires for $300 on Craigslist.
Burl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #15

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72mach View Post
Mine were American Made Goodyears, Over $4,000 worth of damage. Oh & I lost (2) within ten miles of each other. Click image for larger version

Name:	2003 Teton fender.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1647

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote