Warning label meaning - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2016, 03:04 PM   #1

Washington
Warning label meaning

Recently purchased a 2017 Rubicon 2900.

Found this caution label next to the black tank flush connection.

Not exactly sure how to interpret what is trying to be Conveyed.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160912_201302.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	3594  

Hahn007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:38 PM   #2

Tennessee
It means open the dump valve before running water into the tank. Keeps the floaters out of the bathroom

Old 09-13-2016, 03:54 PM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
Translation: Leave the black tank valve open when using the black tank rinsing system to you will have a helluva mess to clean up inside.

I am functionally illiterate... I close my valve and allow the black tank rinse to fill the tank back up, however I do monitor it very closely.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:02 PM   #4

Nevada
Warning to check lug nuts they may come loose. Torque to specification. Heat changes may loosen them. Were you asking about the Caution label?

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 04:10 PM   #5

Washington
Thanks.
I thought they were referring to leaving the dump valve open, but every time I reread the label I got different meaning.

Was thrown off by the part about contamination....
Old 09-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #6

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightydo View Post
Warning to check lug nuts they may come loose. Torque to specification. Heat changes may loosen them. Were you asking about the Caution label?
Yeah, sorry about the confusion. Was thinking warning label when I started the post, and changed to caution in the body of the post but forgot to change it in the title.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:24 PM   #7

Tennessee
What Aaron said, they don't really flush that well, I fill mine up then dump it.

But that's only after I use my awesome hydroflush

I really like a clean black tank.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:48 PM   #8

Texas
That's cool. I watched the video too.

Thanks dawniewest! I just ordered that hydroflush.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:01 PM   #9

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
That's cool. I watched the video too.

Thanks dawniewest! I just ordered that hydroflush.
That thing is as handy as a pocket on a shirt, providing you have decent water pressure. Most campgrounds around here have a staggering 80-100psi, which will definitely get rid of the evidence.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:16 PM   #10

South Carolina
I use the Flush King, which is the same as the Hydroblaster. Like others, I run water back up inside the tank, while watching the panel lights from inside. Once it hits 2/3 full, I run around and turn off the water feed, then drain the tank. It takes 3 or 4 flushes to get all the paper out. But when it's clean and you know it; well, that's a good feeling!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:31 PM   #11

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
I use the Flush King, which is the same as the Hydroblaster. Like others, I run water back up inside the tank, while watching the panel lights from inside. Once it hits 2/3 full, I run around and turn off the water feed, then drain the tank. It takes 3 or 4 flushes to get all the paper out. But when it's clean and you know it; well, that's a good feeling!
You must be the only camper ever whose tank level indicators are accurate! I have zero faith in those things. I stand by the toilet with a flashlight pointing into the abyss.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:28 AM   #12
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
You must be the only camper ever whose tank level indicators are accurate! I have zero faith in those things. I stand by the toilet with a flashlight pointing into the abyss.
I timed mine... I have roughly 3 minutes at normal home pressure..

Eventually I plan to upgrade to the SeeLevel system and put an outside gauge panel in.

Aaron
Old 09-14-2016, 04:04 AM   #13

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I timed mine... I have roughly 3 minutes at normal home pressure..

Eventually I plan to upgrade to the SeeLevel system and put an outside gauge panel in.

Aaron
I installed the SeeLevel system with an outside monitor. Works Great!!
Old 09-14-2016, 03:12 PM   #14

Montana
Wow, you guys put a lot of effort into trying to clean a poop tank! I guess I'm on the other end of the spectrum. Knowing what the tank will hold, I have no interest in trying to make it "clean". I have no tank flusher or back flushing device. After the initial dump I'll close the dump valve and add a couple toilet bowls worth of water back into the tank and then dump that too. That's as much black tank flushing/cleaning as I'll do. No smells, no worries on my part, sensors work relatively well. I will add some water softener to a toilet bowl full of water and dump that into the black tank, known as in the "geo method". I don't use any other chemicals.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:30 PM   #15

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
Wow, you guys put a lot of effort into trying to clean a poop tank! I guess I'm on the other end of the spectrum. Knowing what the tank will hold, I have no interest in trying to make it "clean". I have no tank flusher or back flushing device. After the initial dump I'll close the dump valve and add a couple toilet bowls worth of water back into the tank and then dump that too. That's as much black tank flushing/cleaning as I'll do. No smells, no worries on my part, sensors work relatively well. I will add some water softener to a toilet bowl full of water and dump that into the black tank, known as in the "geo method". I don't use any other chemicals.
Up until now, I'm kind of doing the same. Except I'm permanently hooked to a new dedicated aerobic septic and have my valve open continuously.
I keep a 3 gallon pail outside under the roof gutter that collects 90% of the Air Conditioner condensation. Since it is 100% humidity here 99% of the time, that 3 gallons is full of fresh water almost daily.

That allows me to flush the Black Tank with a big GUSH every time it is one of those kind of days.

I don't THINK I have any kind of substantial build-up in there. I certainly don't experience any of the symptoms. But still, I like the idea of better-safe-than-sorry with the poo tank.

Since the water use is so low for that dedicated septic system, it is far more rare for the water sprinkler system to come on that it is for the on the Big House. (I gave it to my kids) Lots of toilet\shower activity and I can see that sprinkler system come on a few times daily.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:43 PM   #16

Illinois
I have found that the one on my Coleman works very well. What I did this last time, poured in a capful of softener, and a large squirt of Dawn, then drove around the campground and made sure to swish the trailer tail a few times, then hooked up and pulled the valves, flushed black, shut the king, flushed the gray into the black, closed gray, flush black, and did that until both were empty, then hooked up the back flush and found more crap(literally) coming out the black. Ran that until it was clean, then closed the king so it would flush into the gray and found more "debris" from the gray tank, so now both tanks are clean. The King flush is great!
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:43 PM   #17
Site Team

North Carolina
I use the geo-method too. It is amazing how much MORE stuff comes out of the black tank after a few fill and rinse cycles. I am not fanatic about how clean the tank is, just want it as clean as reasonably possible, plan to use it for the next 15 years without replacing it.

Snakebitten, I hope you aren't leaving the black tank valve open? If you use it for #2 with the valve left open you are asking for major trouble down the road!

Aaron
Old 09-15-2016, 02:33 AM   #18

Texas
I'm ready to be schooled. Especially by those with 1000x more experience than myself.

Let me guess though.......
Am I asking for the valve itself to fail if I ever wanted to close it in the future? Cuz as soon as you warned me, that was the only thing I could think of that might suffer from a continuously flush tank.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:51 AM   #19

Montana
No. The solids stay behind while the liquid flows away. Eventually you have a poop pyramid. Then it dries out because all the water is allowed to drain away. Now you have a dried out poop pyramid in your black tank.
This is why the recommendation is to use a lot of water and only dump when your tank reaches full. The poop floats and then is carried out with the liquid.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:18 AM   #20
Site Team

North Carolina
You would be surprised how many used trailers have black tank issues due to the PPP (Petrified Pyramid of Poop) syndrome, sometimes it can be gotten out, other times you have to replace the black tank. Having dealt with it on a couple of used units I am fanatical about keeping my black tank as rinsed out as possible.

Aaron