Voltage is anyone happy with - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #1

Arizona
Voltage is anyone happy with

Picking up ours on thursaday this week.Yes i will do a thourough check out of everything.No i will not camp at the dealership over night. My question is is there anyone that is happy or completely satisfied with thier purchase of a Voltage toy hauler? Seems the only thing i am seeing on any fourms and all over the internet is horror stories. Just sold our last hauler recently and had it for almost 8 years with nothing more than a water drip from the plumbing every now and then or maybe the carb on the generator gummed up every now and then from old fuel sitting in it.But over all it served us well and no problems to speak of. Now stepping up to a 5th wheel and seeing nothing but horror stories makes me want to rethink this.
So my question is do you regret buying a voltage 5th wheel?

shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:06 PM   #2

Nevada
Shadow:
I am enjoying mine. Only a few minor problems that I have fixed on my own.
The trick is Maintenance Maintenance, and more Maintenance.
The worst that has happened are untightened clamps on fresh water tank, and a bubble on china bomb tire Lionshead sent me a new tire and $15 dollars to remount it.
If you own an RV it is a good idea that you be able to work on it for your self. Because if you take it to the shop it will break you.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #3

Ohio
I love mine very few minor issues but i love it
1996 F-350 SWD 7.3 Liter Diesel
cewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:23 PM   #4

California
Just got back from a 4200 miles vacation with my Voltage. No major problems at all. Am I happy with it YES. Have I had to fix some minor things Yes. Would I buy another one No (this one isn't payed off yet)
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #5

Arizona
Glad to hear there are some that are happy with thier toyhaulers.The more i read on the internet the more concerned i was.With our last hauler i never looked at the internet regarding toyhaulers and never second gueesed myself or had any issues that weren't easily fixed.Now switching to a 5th wheel hauler & researching i see nothing but horror stories. So it's nice to hear from you that are happy with yours.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:55 PM   #6

South Dakota
Happy with our V3605. A few things here and there that I'd rather fix myself, but it lets us live the lifestyle we want at this point in our lives. Dont' know about most, but we couldn't afford perfection, even if it was a realistic achievement. And then I wouldn't have anything to do.

Anything mechanical will break at some point. I'm sure there are one or two true 'lemons' out there, and a few that will experience no issues at all. Most rigs fall somewhere in the middle, I'd guess.

Read somewhere that the difference between adventure and ordeal is attitude. We're choosing to call it an adventure....
2003 H-D FLHP/2010 H-D FXDC
xhogboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #7

Maryland
Shadow

We are very happy with our new 2014 3605 voltage. Had it about 2 months and like others said, had to fix a few things myself. I do all the work myself. Camped a few times and every thing is good. I will def by another.

2014 V 3605
2014 F-350 6.7
Bsfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:50 PM   #8

California
Shadow
What model are you getting?
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:59 PM   #9

Michigan
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I'm in the same boat as Shadow. I recently sold my 2007 Fleetwood Gearbox toy hauler, and there were a few minor issues when it was brand new, but I took it across country 6 times and a few places I shouldn't have and it held up nicely.

I was pretty set on either the Cyclone or a Fuzion due to the use of hydraulic slides, but my girlfriend really loves the interior of the Voltage lineup. She can't stop talking about how fancy the Voltage is vs the others we have looked at. I figure if she's happy then she maybe more inclined to go with me camping. I do admit the interior of the Voltage is very, very nice, almost too nice, lol.

Im concerned about the slides, that's the part of the Voltage that scares me. I'm handy enough to tackle minor plumping issues or other items that will likely pop up, after all it's a camper that travels down the road, so there will be issues from time to time.

Why doesn't Voltage use hydraulic slides, or maybe a better slide system? Seems like that's the only issue i read about on here. If the dealership can cut me a good deal on an extended warranty to cover slides, then I may be inclined to pull the trigger on a Voltage.
Diverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:41 PM   #10

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertrat View Post
shadow
what model are you getting?
v3605
Old 08-25-2014, 08:44 PM   #11

Tennessee
I'm happy with my Voltage 3200 so far. As others, I've had a few issues. The wife loves interior. Yes, the slides can have issues as you have discovered during your research. Mine has acted up once or twice and required resetting at the slide motor module. Dutchman/Keystone realize this slide system is a problemed child on larger slides. They will be going to cable slides however its unknown when the change will occur. They're working it. I applaud those that haven't had any problems. But there are some here thats had major issues and I feel for them. I hope you end up in the Happy club. I'm in the Happy club right now, only after getting good tires..
Old 08-25-2014, 09:40 PM   #12

Colorado
I think all have some issues. That being said unfortunetly I have had multiple issues. Slide motors going out. When using shower, bedroom floor gets soaked. Doors getting stuck closed, unable to lock or unlock from inside or out. Master bedroom window blowing out. Windows that will not open and close. No heat register being piped into bedroom. Water leak in front storage area. Leak in 2nd bathroom when using san ti flush system. It has been one thing after another with this unit. It is hard to enjoy when something goes wrong every trip. I hope you have better luck with yours. I'm hoping once dealer fixes every thing that we are able to enjoy it.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:55 PM   #13

Maryland
Camper2b

What kind and size tire did you have on that 3200?

2014 V 3605
2014 F-350 6.7
Bsfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:30 PM   #14

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverb View Post
Hi all, I'm new to the forum. I'm in the same boat as Shadow. I recently sold my 2007 Fleetwood Gearbox toy hauler, and there were a few minor issues when it was brand new, but I took it across country 6 times and a few places I shouldn't have and it held up nicely.

I was pretty set on either the Cyclone or a Fuzion due to the use of hydraulic slides, but my girlfriend really loves the interior of the Voltage lineup. She can't stop talking about how fancy the Voltage is vs the others we have looked at. I figure if she's happy then she maybe more inclined to go with me camping. I do admit the interior of the Voltage is very, very nice, almost too nice, lol.

Im concerned about the slides, that's the part of the Voltage that scares me. I'm handy enough to tackle minor plumping issues or other items that will likely pop up, after all it's a camper that travels down the road, so there will be issues from time to time.

Why doesn't Voltage use hydraulic slides, or maybe a better slide system? Seems like that's the only issue i read about on here. If the dealership can cut me a good deal on an extended warranty to cover slides, then I may be inclined to pull the trigger on a Voltage.
When looking into the extended warranty for the slides MAKE SURE that it includes everything that goes into the hole and all the electronics that make it work. Most of these extended warranties include the slide mechanism and electronics but don't cover the box itself. Inside carpeting and the labor to change the box, carpeting and repaint are not covered except under the original factory warranty so you only have a year to break it.

Why don't they use a better system? Dollars and they don't care what happens to it after it leaves the factory and or lot. Some of the least caring manufacturers are under the THOR umbrella. For the aggravation you "might"(will) have with Schwintek slides you can add a lot of bling to the trailer yourself. Mine was gone 7 months straight getting 2 complete slides replaced and repainted. Steel gears on motors, running on aluminum tracks with boxes that are tight in there holes does not add up to a long running system. There are those that have had problems and those that will depending on how often you use them. But there will be problems. And some say they break just sitting there!
Old 08-25-2014, 10:33 PM   #15

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsfunk View Post
Camper2b

What kind and size tire did you have on that 3200?

2014 V 3605
2014 F-350 6.7
Akuret china bombs! Switched to American made Good Year G614's. My choice, so far so good. They're a heavier tire G rated higher load rated 110 psi. Factory rims are rated 110 psi so that worked out. The tires are not cheap!
Old 08-25-2014, 10:53 PM   #16

Texas
Been living full time in ours since Apr13. Been thru 4 extreme seasons between NM, CO, and NC. Besides a few slide hiccups, we couldn't be happier. However, we did have our first problem today when the water pump gave up and died. Somehow i'm surprised it lasted this long since it has been used 99% of the time. I pulled it out, reset the switch, and reinstalled where it ran for about two hours before quitting. I plan to replace it with a new one in the morning.

I do wish they would have done a better job insulating the belly area. Anytime the temps drop to the teens the water in kitchen and rear bath would freeze. After cranking up the furnace for a few hours it would thaw with no problems. Dropping the belly and adding insulation and additional ducted heat is still on my list to do before i head into the next arctic blast.

I couldn't agree more with Eightydo, regarding the maintenance, you must stay ahead of it. You can literally build a checklist of things you should inspect and be prepared to fix by reading thru this forum. As soon as i got ours home i spent two weeks going over the entire rig checking for loose clamps, bolts, screws, etc. I spent two days re-caulking, making sure to take a good look at the entire slide assay and ensure all joints and laps are properly caulked. I also had a lot of surface rust caused by the winter haul from factory in Indiana to Colorado dealer. I got the rust off and resprayed metal. Also, you will need to keep a close eye on the roof sealant around vent's etc., as of yesterday, i've re-sealed or touched up every penetration.

Up to this point we are very pleased with ours.

Best of luck Thursday.
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:13 PM   #17

Arizona
Had some minor issues like crud in the water lines, lousy taping job in the A/C ducts. My only complaint is with the Lippert/Schwintek slides. We are camping in San Diego right now and my wife had to help me push the main slide out when we got here. I'll never buy another RV with that slide system.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:30 AM   #18

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Had some minor issues like crud in the water lines, lousy taping job in the A/C ducts. My only complaint is with the Lippert/Schwintek slides. We are camping in San Diego right now and my wife had to help me push the main slide out when we got here. I'll never buy another RV with that slide system.
That really sucks! Where in SD are you camping?
Old 08-27-2014, 07:03 PM   #19

Alberta
I have used my 3605 once now, and have found issues with the water pressure at each sink is different rear bath water pressure is non-existent! Toilets flush great, kitchen sink pressure sucks, but livable. No heat duct in bedroom wall, but heat duct tube is installed, dealer says they will install duct at no charge to me. ( great sales manager at "woody's Rv world Edmonton" ) I think the tie down lugs in the garage are a little skimpy, even though they are rated at 2500# each, I liked "XLR" tie downs better, rated at 5000# each. The rest of the coach is amazing. I have the all weather package and Epic package with "upgraded audio and video" but cant find the subwoofer anywhere. Owners manual for it is in the folder, but cant find it, dealer doesn't know where it is hidden either. Unit tows great, and gets a lot of attention, wherever we stop.
07dmax360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:12 PM   #20

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07dmax360 View Post
I have used my 3605 once now, and have found issues with the water pressure at each sink is different rear bath water pressure is non-existent! Toilets flush great, kitchen sink pressure sucks, but livable. No heat duct in bedroom wall, but heat duct tube is installed, dealer says they will install duct at no charge to me. ( great sales manager at "woody's Rv world Edmonton" ) I think the tie down lugs in the garage are a little skimpy, even though they are rated at 2500# each, I liked "XLR" tie downs better, rated at 5000# each. The rest of the coach is amazing. I have the all weather package and Epic package with "upgraded audio and video" but cant find the subwoofer anywhere. Owners manual for it is in the folder, but cant find it, dealer doesn't know where it is hidden either. Unit tows great, and gets a lot of attention, wherever we stop.
Congrats on your trailer!