Voltage is anyone happy with - Page 3 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2014, 03:27 PM   #41

Arizona
We picked up our 2014 Voltage 3950 epic III on July 30. We been on the road ever since. Love it! Only minor maintenance issues so far. Lost an awning in a thunderstorm in Montana because of the operator leaving it out when he went to bed Oops! I agree with Eightydo, maintenance is key to avoiding major issues and knowing your rig.

2014 Voltage 3950 Epic all-weather
2006 Dodge DRW 4X4 Cummins w/Edge Chip
Can Am Commander XT1000

havasujim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:10 PM   #42

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasujim View Post
Lost an awning in a thunderstorm in Montana because of the operator leaving it out when he went to bed Oops!

2014 Voltage 3950 Epic all-weather
2006 Dodge DRW 4X4 Cummins w/Edge Chip
Can Am Commander XT1000
We must have the same operators. Haven't done that but sure can blame things on the operator here also.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 10:42 PM   #43

Colorado
I have a 2012 Voltage 3200 purchased in April of 2011, one of the early units for that model. I have towed it over 15,000 miles, some over pretty rough roads. My wife and I have been very happy with this trailer, which replaced a two year old Cyclone 3200 which was a disaster. Unlike other Voltage owners, I have had zero problems with the Schwintek slides, maybe it was the luck of the position in the production line. Other than lubing the tracks and treating the rubber wipers, I have done nothing to the slides. I have been disappointed to some extent with all three of the toy haulers I have owned since about 2003 which displayed a lack of quality control and a general sloppiness. I am sure that when you start to look behind any of the panels, you will find sawdust, wood scraps, screws, zip ties and wire ends on the floor. It seems that none of the manufacturers own a shop vac, and mine has had a good work out. I still get saw dust out of the air conditioner vents in the garage and living room when I use that unit.
2002 Suzuki DRZ400E
Dirt1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:10 AM   #44

Tennessee
I love my 2013 3200. Minor issues like everyone else, but I fixed them myself. I do have a slide problem with the bedroom slide. My advice is to make sure the facia trim on the outside bottom of the slide is well sealed. Water gets behind the facia, runs down and get the end of the floor board wet. We all know what happens to osb when it gets wet. It swells, and even when dried back out it does not return to its original size. The swollen floor then causes the box to raise on the bottom roller stressing the track, gear and motor to the point of binding and stopping. If water never leaks into the facia you won't have any problems. Anyway, that's my advice. We have hauled ours over 10,000 miles to various destinations to "stress test" our Polaris RZR. Oh, and by the way, I ditched the china tires before they caused me any trouble and replaced with Goodyear G614's.
Coolbaldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:15 PM   #45

Texas
I have a Voltage 3990 nothing but problems so far. Four trips out, on way back to dealer located in SE Houston for third time for major warranty issues. We have a long list of issues, but major ones are roof leaks and the AC systems keep going out. Here in Texas its a big issue, got third system installed on it when purchased in Nov 13 to keep up to the heat. Keep having to pay for hotel rooms and cutting trips short because I cant sleep in a $100,000 trailer. Was out this weekend for a trip, already had to come back home. We travel with a dog and a parrot and went out for the day after the dealer assured us the AC was functioning, seemed to be ok, came back and and was 90 degrees in the trailer, pets were stressed and the baby parrot was not good. Trailer now has developed a smell, pretty sure it has to do with the massive amount of moisture that is getting in to the trailer.
DTLambert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 11:31 PM   #46

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLambert01 View Post
I have a Voltage 3990 nothing but problems so far. Four trips out, on way back to dealer located in SE Houston for third time for major warranty issues. We have a long list of issues, but major ones are roof leaks and the AC systems keep going out. Here in Texas its a big issue, got third system installed on it when purchased in Nov 13 to keep up to the heat. Keep having to pay for hotel rooms and cutting trips short because I cant sleep in a $100,000 trailer. Was out this weekend for a trip, already had to come back home. We travel with a dog and a parrot and went out for the day after the dealer assured us the AC was functioning, seemed to be ok, came back and and was 90 degrees in the trailer, pets were stressed and the baby parrot was not good. Trailer now has developed a smell, pretty sure it has to do with the massive amount of moisture that is getting in to the trailer.
You might have them check out the ducting in the ceiling if any of them are ducted. If cold air is escaping into the ceiling and condensing it will cause mold and that might be your smell. Good luck.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:03 AM   #47

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawpilot View Post
You might have them check out the ducting in the ceiling if any of them are ducted. If cold air is escaping into the ceiling and condensing it will cause mold and that might be your smell. Good luck.
Thank you, yes the primary one with issues is ducted. The roof has leaked from the antenna, looks like is resolved after 5 months of leaking, but major issue is with AC unit in living room. quarts of water leak in at a time, pendant lights over the island are even rusty now from so much water in the ceiling. Concerned about the life of this trailer, bought it to last 8 + years. Love the layout and the practicality of the trailer, its dressed as we need but question the craftsmanship.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:13 AM   #48

Oklahoma
Sounds pretty much like the condensation from the A/C is not draining out of the shroud and onto the roof as it should.

The insulation up there is wet and probably rotting away whatever it's touching and causing the odor.

No need to question the craftmanship, it's not there as you can attest.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:15 AM   #49

Washington
There are multiple threads located on your problem on this forum. Use the "SEARCH" feature for A/c ducting or Dutchmen quality, you'll spend hours reading. It sounds like you're condenser is draining straight into the ceiling. If that's the case, and it's still under warranty, try and get your dealer to step up, call Keystone and explain the issue, and think seriously about getting a lawyer. If this has been leaking like you say and I don't doubt you, the mold issues in my opinion can't be solved and they need to replace your trailer. Please keep us informed. There are a lot of people that will be very interested in how this is resolved. If we can help, don't hesitate to ask.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:34 AM   #50

Indiana
DTLambert01 as said from Sundancer, condensation water is probably running into your ceiling. Can you go up and pull the air conditioning cover off and see if something is blocking the condensation water from flowing out to the roof? Sometimes these techs at the dealerships miss easy stuff. Run the air conditioner and you may be able to see how its running in.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:44 AM   #51

Tennessee
Sorry to hear about your problems. The units on the roof are going to need pulled to see whats going on. Water intrusion is the worst thing you can deal with. Very destructive. Let us know.could be a simple fix, or a PITA... period. Please keep us in the loop thanks good lock..........
Old 09-01-2014, 02:57 PM   #52

Nevada
I got a Sept 2012 3200 (titled 2012 too) that's been good to go. I've only nada few issues

The filter on the inlet line of the water pump had cracked and sucked air in when operating...easy fix, just took it off. Will be replacing the set up with a Shurflo soon.

I taped up the main A/C, wasn't too bad though, but the first test will be this weekend.

I didn't realize how easily the carburetors get gummed up with ethanol fuel, so scratch one carb, took all of 10 minutes to change, just kind of spendy. I drain the

Before I picked it up, the dealer changed one of the hydraulic levelers that was leaking, so that was cool.

Biggest issue was when out in the middle of nowhere California, the road was so bumpy it shook the hell out of the trailer and the extendable counter came off. Screws don't hold so well in particle board. I think I got it fixed, I glued aluminum bar stock to the particle board and used self tapping screws. I think it should work. I would have like to replace the particle board with real wood, but I didn't have an easy way to removed the particle board. It was epoxied really well.
Race Bikes
Brandt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:21 PM   #53

Texas
Thank you all for the insight. I am at the point now where I don't feel comfortable though taking anything apart myself. I think it is a Dutchman issue and my delaer needs to step up and assume the role of advocate for a long term solution. I will be back on soon, dropping it off at dealer once again tomorrow for next level of conversations.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:06 PM   #54

Washington
Sounds like a good decision. Best of luck.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:32 AM   #55

Pennsylvania
I do not want to discourage anyone from rving, but after half a lifetime (I pray) of resolving real estate issues, I would compare buying an rv with buying real property instead of buying a car. You are buying "as is" not buying perfection. Be prepared to fix it with some amount of self sacrifice (whether time or money) to ultimately reap the benefits. I still love my 3305 after a little of both. The time I spent camping with my babies and grandbabies is well worth both.
nowucme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:38 AM   #56

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowucme View Post
I do not want to discourage anyone from rving, but after half a lifetime (I pray) of resolving real estate issues, I would compare buying an rv with buying real property instead of buying a car. You are buying "as is" not buying perfection. Be prepared to fix it with some amount of self sacrifice (whether time or money) to ultimately reap the benefits. I still love my 3305 after a little of both. The time I spent camping with my babies and grandbabies is well worth both.
I hear what you're saying about buying "AS IS", but when I drop $100K on a trailer to get a quality product, I expect some quality control. By what you're saying, I should buy a rig for $50K, do all the minor or major repairs and still come out better than what the $100K rig is coming off the factory floor!!!

This is my first toy hauler, and sometimes I second guess my decision as to why I bought Dutchmen instead of the "competitors" trailer. $100K worth of payments is a decade of my life, then after that is all done, I can't afford to just turn around and trade it in for another 10yrs of payment on something else.
2012 Can-Am Commander XT 1000, 1998 golwing GL1500
07dmax360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:38 PM   #57

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07dmax360 View Post
I hear what you're saying about buying "AS IS", but when I drop $100K on a trailer to get a quality product, I expect some quality control. By what you're saying, I should buy a rig for $50K, do all the minor or major repairs and still come out better than what the $100K rig is coming off the factory floor!!!

This is my first toy hauler, and sometimes I second guess my decision as to why I bought Dutchmen instead of the "competitors" trailer. $100K worth of payments is a decade of my life, then after that is all done, I can't afford to just turn around and trade it in for another 10yrs of payment on something else.
Sure glad I didn't spend $100k on my V3605.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #58
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:

I seldom buy anything new for this very reason. I would much rather pay less than retail, because I KNOW I am going to have to do work on it. Case in point. I own a 1975 Airstream, it is the year of Airstream that I prefer. A new one of similar size costs close to $100,000. I paid less than $5,000 for mine and will spend 2 years and $15,000 gutting and rebuilding. I am way ahead of the game at that point and will have something that I want. This doesn't necessarily work for everybody.

I do agree that the RV industry has a major QC issue, it goes on everywhere. Unfortunately warranties are written to protect the manufacturer NOT the consumer. There are quality units out there, but you HAVE to do your research and look at every unit possible, and not just on the surface. Poke, prod, go to shows, go to dealers, talk to owners, sit in units, etc. Eventually you will find one that works for you. Some brands have better reputations than others.

Too many people buy on appearance and emotion and not cold hard facts.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:06 PM   #59

Tennessee
Quote:

I guess if you pay 75k give or take, plus tax, plus finance charges over a period of a decade you could be near 100k. Not everyone has the ability to pay cash .. I didnt either! I expect to get what I paid for plain and simple.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #60

New Mexico
just came back from looking at voltage 3895 toyhaulers, and did not find one on the lot that did not have flaws. Decals, damaged panels, etc. Dealer says cannot do warranty work until you purchase the unit. Really? Would you buy a damaged vehicle then hope it gets fixed?

RO90u14 is offline   Reply With Quote