Voltage GVWR/Tires Under Rated - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2019, 07:01 PM   #21

Illinois
X2 Tom. My 3990 was very, very good to me.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:00 PM   #22

Arizona
ST tires are stamped not to use them on passenger vehicles and there's a reason - they're terribly made junk and will jeopardize the safety of vehicle occupants. Remember back when Firestone was in the news with blow out issues and people dying? Where is the news coverage of ST tires blowing up? Nobody is dying, that's why. These Chinese blowups should be removed from the market, period. Yet the Feds allow the continued use of tires that are known to be bad.

Regarding interply shear. Very interesting topic but is it a valid concept? I don't think so. What is the difference between us running two or three axles and the truckers running two axles with duallies on the ends of the axles? I say the difference is in the quality of the tires. Truckers can run retreads everywhere but the steer tires. Yet it appears those retreads are better made than our Made in China bombs. Interply shear doesn't seem to be a factor on the 18 wheelers.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:05 PM   #23

Florida
Correct me if Im wrong...Overrated tires doesn't matter if your suspension cant carry the weight. 2 - 7000lb (14000lbs) axel and 4 tires at 3520lb each mean it is a perfect balance with tires that can carry max weight of 14080lbs. Putting tires that can carry 21000 lbs mean nothing when your suspension snaps.
Jcop243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:03 PM   #24

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcop243 View Post
Correct me if Im wrong...Overrated tires doesn't matter if your suspension cant carry the weight. 2 - 7000lb (14000lbs) axel and 4 tires at 3520lb each mean it is a perfect balance with tires that can carry max weight of 14080lbs. Putting tires that can carry 21000 lbs mean nothing when your suspension snaps.

Absolutely correct. However, the thinking is that the heavier tires will hold up better since they will be loaded far under their weight rating. True/false, don't know, only studies would prove that theory out.

The suspension is always rated at it's weakest link, and putting over rated tires on stock wheels does not increase the tires capacity since the wheels themselves may not be rated to that of the tire, and is still the weakest link.

acdii is offline   Reply With Quote