Voltage Garage Size - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2015, 05:17 PM   #1

North Carolina
Voltage Garage Size

I am looking into a Voltage and can't find an answer as to how much distance is between the floor and lowest point below the bottom bunk. I have a Polaris Ranger that is 76 inches tall and need a toy hauler that will accommodate this.

If all of the Voltage models are not tall enough, has anyone taken off the lower bunk? How long does that take and is it a one man job?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Luke

lucastyler42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:55 PM   #2

Michigan
I have a 3950 - have not measured it but my 2014 RZR 900XP4 fits just fine and I have slightly larger tires on it as well.

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:49 PM   #3

Arizona
I just measured 78" at the lowest point.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:07 AM   #4

Washington
My V3305 has lawn chairs stored on the bunk and I measure 76" at the side brackets. The brackets taper up towards the middle giving quite a bit more room. My Rhino fits without a problem.

Happiness is an old pickup truck, a good dog and an understanding woman....
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:09 AM   #5

Colorado
And it probably doesn't take an hour to take the seats/bed cushions for the lower bunk out.

I'm 5'11" and I have lots of head room!!

The big kicker will be deciding which model Voltage gives you a garage long enough to hold your machine.

I bought the 2014 3800 that has a 14 ft garage...but the half bath in the garage cuts it to 12 ft.

The 3818 has an 18 ft garage...but Mama wouldn't let me get that one!

I like my RZR, but might move up to the XP1000 model some day...and its 119" nose to tale. So a 10ft garage won't do and a 12 ft with the half bath won't do.

Something important to consider.

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:01 AM   #6

Washington

I measured mine and I had 78" floor to bottom of bottom bench seat bunk, but if you remove that, you have 90" to the bottom of the top bed.
If you are not going to use bench seats, I say remove them, it does not make a great bed. I am full timer and next time I go home, out they come. a stand alone dinner table and chairs would be much better.
ranbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:05 AM   #7

Wyoming
Yep, I removed my benches. As you said, it doesn't make a good bed, and as benches they aren't comfortable either.

Of course, being single... I also removed that thing they call a mattress in the upper bunk too, and now just use the platform for storage.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:02 AM   #8

Washington
Yeah, I want to remove that stupid so called mattress they have and put in a regular one in those cases where we have company, but it is a weird size, about the width of a queen, but almost 8 feet long it looks like.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:30 AM   #9

North Carolina
Thanks for the help, folks. Sounds like the consensus is 78" which is great! Seems like we are always bringing friends or family.

Are you all happy with your Voltages?
Old 08-14-2015, 03:50 AM   #10

Washington
Love my 3818, it has two beds that come down from the ceiling plus the option for a third. In addition, the bench seats can be used as a bed but it really is not that comfortable. If I had a lot of friends that camped with us. I'd remove the bench seats, get two new bed platforms so I would have a total of 4 beds without the bench seats and when not in use, up to the ceiling they go.. What I like about the 3818 and the 18 foot garage, is that is a large living space when all the toys are out. The fold down rear ramp is also used for a great patio and is an extra 8x10 area for a BBQ and chairs or eating table. Lots of options available with these units.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #11

Washington
Yes, we're very happy with our Voltage. As you see in this forum,they have some problems but I don't think you'll find a model that doesn't....and we seem to enjoy modifying to our tastes. I think the most important issue is find a floor plan that fits your needs.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:37 PM   #12

Nevada
Yes, we love our Voltage, made a few changes, as some of said about the 2 rear beds, when the beds are set up, I moved the so called mat to the lower one and added an air bed to the top, when not in use, I now use the upper one as extra storage for the tables, etc. The biggest repair that I have had is one of the jacks is leaking and will be repaired next month, some other items, I just repaired them myself
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:47 PM   #13

Colorado
Hmmm...people sleeping in the Garage? How does that happen?

Oh yeah, we're empty nesters and the kids are all on their own...and don't wanna go do what us "old" people do on the weekends!!

This next week they'll be in condos on the beach in San Diego...we'll be in the Voltage at the Chula Vista RV Resort...in the recliners watching DirecTV...while they're trying to stay awake and party. Wife has five wonderful children...but the youngest is 34...so they're getting "old" too!!

Pirate
Old 08-14-2015, 11:50 PM   #14

Washington
Yep, keep that company in the garage!!! LOL It is actually a nice setup, 2 to 4 beds. When not hauling the car, it is all living space/office and wife's craft room.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:21 AM   #15

Colorado
Actually you are right, when we get set up and unload the RZR...not this time...we set up the table and set up the wireless printer on it, then another half the table becomes a place for GPS units, GoPro camera stuff...and a place for the two of us to have meals and watch the news!!!

Pirate
Old 08-15-2015, 12:39 AM   #16

North Carolina
Thanks, folks. All great info.

My next concern is the tow vehicle. Did everyone have to buy their trucks custom? All of the trucks I have seen at three different Ram dealerships have not been able to haul an 18,000 pound plus 5th wheel. I am trying to ensure I have a truck that can carry the pin load aswell as tow 18k plus and not get a dually. It's proving difficult.

Any advice?
Old 08-15-2015, 01:47 AM   #17

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucastyler42 View Post
?..I am trying to ensure I have a truck that can carry the pin load aswell as tow 18k plus and not get a dually. It's proving difficult.

Any advice?
No offense, but I'm gonna tell it straight.

If you're pulling 18k+ with anything that doesn't have dual rear wheels... then please don't ever be near me on the highway! I don't wanna be around when you apply the brakes somewhere, and your trailer... that is at least TWICE the weight of your truck (if not more)... drags your ass off the road.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 08-15-2015, 01:56 AM   #18

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
No offense, but I'm gonna tell it straight.

If you're pulling 18k+ with anything that doesn't have dual rear wheels... then please don't ever be near me on the highway! I don't wanna be around when you apply the brakes somewhere, and your trailer drags your ass off the road.
I appreciate the blunt response. So what is the cutoff for "needing" a dually? I just can't see driving a dually as a daily driver. Does everyone with a Voltage have a dually? Just this past weekend I was camping next to a couple that had an F250 SRW towing a voltage. It seems that all of these models except the 3200 are 15k dry. Add an ATV, food, and clothes(in order of priority) and you are at around 17k right? My Ranger is 1300 pounds.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:27 AM   #19

Washington
Remember your hitch weight doesn't count in the total weight rating. My 3305 is advertised at 12,756 dry. The hitch weight is advertised at 2,767 leaving 9,809 dry weight. My cargo capacity is advertised at 3,900 for a total weight of 13,709. I pull with a dually....no, not my every day driver. I purchased a small Mazda pickup that gets 26 mpg and only cost me $1200. It's not pretty but it gets me to work and back until winter - then I drive the dually when the roads are bad. Towing with my DRW gives me a great peace of mind and it's a very stable pull.

Old 08-15-2015, 02:36 AM   #20

Wyoming
You're gonna be hard pressed to find a SRW drive truck with a tow rating higher than around 16.5-17k. I mean, you gotta remember the physics involved here. Chances are, a SRW truck isn't gonna weigh more than around 8k, and you're gonna have more than twice as much weight behind you.

Now think about coming downhill on that 6% grade section of I-40 between I-81 & Hendersonville, as the weight of your RV begins 'pushing' you on those curves...

(around this time, you should be thinking of a heavy lead sinker at the end of a long fishing line)

Now think about the worse case scenario... say, one of your truck tires having a blowout. Do you still wanna only have a SRW axle back there stabilizing your ride?

I had a regular F-250 when I first got my 3200. I towed it for a trip, loaded to the gills at around 16,500 lbs... no problem. Then the next trip, I went up into the Catskills & Adirondacks. Some of the downhills got me a tad squarely, so I decided to roll across the truck stop scales. I knew I was close to the truck's GCWR, but thought I was ok. Turns out, I was 960 lbs. over.

And again, I only have the small 3200 with a Goldwing in the back... and I'd already been thinking about upgrading to a larger Voltage.

That's when I decided to bite the bullet, and go get the dually. Now, I can pull just about anything I want.

Bottom line... it's all a matter of physics. And, to a lesser extent... being legal. Sure, the drivetrain can pull it... but you want the rig to be steady on the road. Especially when you consider that we haul toys in the garages of our rigs, which are BEHIND the RV axles. A big ole weight at the end of a pendulum.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE