Voltage Corrosion and Rust on the under carriage - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2014, 09:55 PM   #1

California
Voltage Corrosion and Rust on the under carriage

I currently have put a deposit on a 2014 3985. However, there is an extreme amount of corrosion and rust all over underneath the coach. It is much worse than normal wear and tear. It was from the storms back east and whatever they put on the roads corroded all the units coming from back there. Every unit at the dealer I'm looking to buy from is corroded. And they have 3 stores! I live in So Cal, so this is not usual for RVs out here to look like this.

The leaf springs, axels, bolts on the leveling jacks, frame, fuel tank in back, the grommets/elbows on the hydraulics, and even the screws that come through the bottom of the slide holding the flooring together. Or whatever else the purpose is. My point is that it is excessive. Not to mention what I haven't seen yet. I should have taken pictures to post.

The dealer said Dutchmen authorized to have the axels and leaf springs sanded and repainted. And the metal piece between the tires on the suspension system (not sure what it's called). They said they will try to see if Dutchmen will authorize any other work to rectify the issue.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what did your dealer/Dutchmen do to fix it? Am I being to anal about this? I'm worried about long term effects. I can sand and wire brush and paint on my own. However, I shouldn't have to do that on a brand new coach. I just think when you spend this much money on a coach, it should not be extremely corroded underneath. I understand normal wear and tear.

So please, let me know your thoughts, opinions.

Thanks,
Jason

Jwoody205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:22 PM   #2

Arizona
Are you sure it is corrosion and not salt or the other stuff they might put on the roads. When I drove my truck and camper back East it was all grey on the bottom after driving through some storms. It did wash off however.

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:04 AM   #3

California
I wish it was only that. I crawled around under the coach. There is red (rust) all over. All the non painted metal is corroding. Bad enough to where Dutchmen is preplacing a few things, but not all. Had the transporters washed them off once they cleared the storms, it probably wouldn't have been an issue. However, it sat for months on the lots. I heard there are other chemicals they put on the roads as well back east. Maybe it's just that. That's why I was looking for advice on this subject. I'm pretty bummed. We were so excited to finally pull the trigger, and now this. Plus the 14s are getting hard to find. And I won't get the same price on a 15. The GM of the dealership already told me that.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:56 AM   #4

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwoody205 View Post
I wish it was only that. I crawled around under the coach. There is red (rust) all over. All the non painted metal is corroding. Bad enough to where Dutchmen is preplacing a few things, but not all. Had the transporters washed them off once they cleared the storms, it probably wouldn't have been an issue. However, it sat for months on the lots. I heard there are other chemicals they put on the roads as well back east. Maybe it's just that. That's why I was looking for advice on this subject. I'm pretty bummed. We were so excited to finally pull the trigger, and now this. Plus the 14s are getting hard to find. And I won't get the same price on a 15. The GM of the dealership already told me that.
This time of year its a buyers market and Dealers know it. If their prices are really good they will sell it to someone else thats not so concerned with the corrosion. We had a lot of surface corrosion left on ours caused by residual road salt that was not removed. I bought two cans of sea foam "Deep Creep" and sprayed all exposed metal. While it cannot reverse the surface pitting, it has removed all visible rust and hopefully will prevent any further rusting. At the end of the day you have to be comfortable with it. In my case i stopped it from getting worse. I have several other misc trailers that have rust as well. I guess i never thought much of it since they didnt cost as much as this one.
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:00 AM   #5

Oklahoma
Makes me wonder if a dealer didn't wholesale out some east coast water damaged stuff that made its way west. I don't know where the chasis is made and it's not that far across the country.

Car dealers do it so?????????
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:15 PM   #6

California
I have pics from a cell camera. I tried even saving them to my computer and then adding them. It's not working. Anybody have any tips on loading pics?
Old 05-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #7

New York
Go to "Advanced post"
Scroll down to Additional Options
Then to Manage Attachments

you can attach any photos saved to your computer from here......

hope this helps!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:43 PM   #8

Alberta
There is a product on the market called P.O.R. paint on rust just wire brush the loose rust and scale and apply. My friend uses it on a lot of things at his job he works at a sulpur blocking plant which is fairly corrosive environment it can brush or sprayed on
D and C 12 voltage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:25 PM   #9

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by D and C 12 voltage View Post
There is a product on the market called P.O.R. paint on rust just wire brush the loose rust and scale and apply. My friend uses it on a lot of things at his job he works at a sulpur blocking plant which is fairly corrosive environment it can brush or sprayed on
Good info.... Does it work well as preventative measure? Or another product best...?
splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #10

California
We just bought ours last week and it has some corrosion and rust and what looks like salt residue underneath all of it too. I plan to wash it down really good then wire brush some of the rust off and spray paint the rusted and bare metal areas. I agree it definitely should have been done at the dealer but I bought ours at a dealer four hours away so I rather just do it myself instead of spend a couple hundred dollars in gas and a lot of my time driving it back and forth to the dealer.
DB03Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:58 AM   #11

Alberta
POR will keep the rust from spreading but you should always check for new chips in the paint.

D and C 12 voltage is offline   Reply With Quote