Voltage converter - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2016, 11:05 PM   #1

Illinois
Voltage converter

Hi there. I just purchased a 2014 voltage 3305. I am having trouble with the batterys. I just put brand new batterys in it and wired them in parrell. They are going dead when plugged into shore power. So therefore I believe it's drawing off the batterys too while it is plugged in. So I am thinking a fuse in the converter/ inverter is bag or whole unit knowing my luck. So my question is where is the converter located. I can't find it. I have torn apart the camper looking for it. Can't find it. Also is there a switch somewhere that you have to turn when you plug into shore power to have everything run off 110 instead of 12 volts that the dealer didn't show me? Thank you In advance!

Littleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:33 AM   #2

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
Hi there. I just purchased a 2014 voltage 3305. I am having trouble with the batterys. I just put brand new batterys in it and wired them in parrell. They are going dead when plugged into shore power. So therefore I believe it's drawing off the batterys too while it is plugged in. So I am thinking a fuse in the converter/ inverter is bag or whole unit knowing my luck. So my question is where is the converter located. I can't find it. I have torn apart the camper looking for it. Can't find it. Also is there a switch somewhere that you have to turn when you plug into shore power to have everything run off 110 instead of 12 volts that the dealer didn't show me? Thank you In advance!
In normal operation, all 12v lights, radios, circuits, draw from the batteries. All the time. The only difference when you're plugged into shore power is that the batteries are ALSO receiving a charge from the converter, thus keeping them alive, and not drained.
Since you just replaced the batteries, I'm going to guess that you made a common mistake, i.e. put them in reverse polarity. Or, if that's not the case, you did something to blow the converter fuses. Many functions (lights, fan) will work with reversed polarity. Many others (electronics, controls) will not. Many trailers are different, and black is not always negative.

MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:38 AM   #3

Pennsylvania
The converter in our 3305 is under the bathroom floor where all the mechanicals are located. Access by removing the felt covered panel inside the front storage compartment on the curb side. There is a 20A breaker in the power panel that feeds the converter. There are still many things that run off 12vdc when plugged into shore power. The converter will provide power for those things in addition to charging the battery if it's working properly. You should hear the converter cooling fan running. I can hear the converter cooling fan speed increase as I turn on more lights.

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 12:57 AM   #4

Illinois
sweet. Thank you wry much. I will check it out tomorrow.
Littleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:41 AM   #5

Ontario
Make sure your converter circuit breaker isn't tripped.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:45 PM   #6

Texas
For my 2013 Model 3950 the voltage inverter/converter was located under the bathroom floor. Open the outside large storage door forward of the cabin main door ( curb side ). straight back is a black felt panel that houses the dirt devil vacuum bag . We had a new battery installed and the tech accidentally hooked up the battery backwards. The inverter has three 35amp fuses located in the bottom. Popped all of them ! Oddly enough 35amp fuses are not common so we replaced all three with 30amp fuses from a local car parts store and ordered the 35amp fuses at a later date.
texasairsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #7

Colorado
You could use a multi meter and check your convert without having to remove the panel for access.I'm assuming you have a basic setup, batteries and a converter. Assuming your trailer is wired correctly, my wasn't, you can open the battery disconnect switch and isolate the batteries. Then check for voltage at the the 12 volt buss bar with the multi meter. If your on shower power and your convert is supplying charge power to your batteries you should have approx. 13.5 volts at the buss. All 12 volts loads, light, radio, etc will still work as long as you have power from shore power.

bkuuz1 is offline   Reply With Quote