Voltage 3905 Converter not charging - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2016, 05:25 PM   #1

Arizona
Voltage 3905 Converter not charging

I have battery power to the electrical, and it looks like I have charge coming from the generator. When I hook up to shore power, not electrical or charging takes place.

I checked the fuse to the converter in the breaker box. I haven't looked at the converter yet to see if it has its own internal fuse.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

jdmedhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:40 PM   #2

Arizona
Sorry, your post is a little confusing. It sounds like you may have a problem getting 120 volt shore power to or past your transfer switch. The transfer switch routes either generator or shore power to the 120 volt breaker panel on your trailer. Not sure, but it does sound like you are getting 120 volts to the 120 volt breaker panel while on generator power.

However, just to clarify the basic problem:

Are you getting power to the 120 volt outlets in your trailer when on generator?
Are you getting power to the 120 volt outlets in your trailer when on shore power?

otr_pwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 06:50 PM   #3

Arizona
No power on shore power to outlets, only while generator is on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2016, 09:21 PM   #4

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmedhurst View Post
No power on shore power to outlets, only while generator is on.
Ok, you only have power to your 120 volt outlets when you're on generator power.

First thing I'd do is check to see if you have 120 volts on the shore power "input" terminal of the transfer switch when connected to shore power. If you do, the transfer switch is probably bad. It should automatically transfer this power to the output when it senses shore power. We can assume the connections on the output of the transfer switch are good since you said you get power to your 120 volt outlets when you're on generator power.

If you do not have 120 volts at the shore power input terminal of the transfer switch when connected to shore power, then you've got a bad connection somewhere between the shore power source itself (RV park pedestal) and the transfer switch. Problem could be as simple as a bad outside shore power cable, or bad connection somewhere between the trailer's outside wall shore power connector and the transfer switch.

Safety first. If you're not comfortable making these voltage checks, highly suggest contacting a qualified electrician or a local RV repair facility.

Good luck!
Old 12-26-2016, 09:24 PM   #5

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by otr_pwc View Post
Ok, you only have power to your 120 volt outlets when you're on generator power.

First thing I'd do is check to see if you have 120 volts on the shore power "input" terminal of the transfer switch when connected to shore power. If you do, the transfer switch is probably bad. It should automatically transfer this power to the output when it senses shore power. We can assume the connections on the output of the transfer switch are good since you said you get power to your 120 volt outlets when you're on generator power.

If you do not have 120 volts at the shore power input terminal of the transfer switch when connected to shore power, then you've got a bad connection somewhere between the shore power source itself (RV park pedestal) and the transfer switch. Could be as simple as a bad outside shore power cable or bad connection somewhere between the trailer's outside wall shore power connector and the transfer switch.

Safety first. If you're not comfortable making these voltage checks, highly suggest contacting a qualified electrician or a local RV repair facility.

Good luck!

Thanks so much. I checked the GFCI, not tripped. My shore power is good so I'm guessing it's the transfer switch.
Where is that located and what does it look like?

Old 12-26-2016, 10:33 PM   #6

Arizona
Quote:
Thanks so much. I checked the GFCI, not tripped. My shore power is good so I'm guessing it's the transfer switch.
Where is that located and what does it look like?
Sorry, I'm not familiar with your trailer. Hopefully someone who also owns a 3905 can chime in with the exact location of the transfer switch. Sometimes it's located behind a wall in the basement area. As for what one looks like, I'd suggest googling images for "5th wheel transfer switch". Good luck!
Old 12-27-2016, 02:53 AM   #7

Utah
It's in the basement behind the walls on the driver side probably behind the station where you winterize and connect to city water and fill the tanks. Remove a few screws and the wall comes out and you will see the transfer switch and water pump nearly on top of each other.
Grizzly660fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 02:55 AM   #8

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly660fan View Post
It's in the basement behind the walls on the driver side probably behind the station where you winterize and connect to city water and fill the tanks. Remove a few screws and the wall comes out and you will see the transfer switch and water pump nearly on top of each other.

Thanks for the help.
I think I'm going to do that mod that moves the walls to make more room and organize some of the utilities. All this stuff should be readily available on a panel.

Old 03-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #9

Arkansas
Quote:
I have battery power to the electrical, and it looks like I have charge coming from the generator. When I hook up to shore power, not electrical or charging takes place.

I checked the fuse to the converter in the breaker box. I haven't looked at the converter yet to see if it has its own internal fuse.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.
My 3905 had 2 of the regulators go bad. They are garbage.
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:57 PM   #10

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
My 3905 had 2 of the regulators go bad. They are garbage.
Send it to me, I'll see if I can make it live again.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:03 PM   #11

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Send it to me, I'll see if I can make it live again.
Mine were covered under my warranty so I dont have the defective parts.
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:49 PM   #12

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW View Post
Mine were covered under my warranty so I dont have the defective parts.
Bummer, a victim of the throw away society. It may have not been the best machine but it could have been used as a backup if repairable.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote