Voltage 3200 Roof Vents... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2014, 05:07 AM   #1

Wyoming
Voltage 3200 Roof Vents...

Question: I went to install one of the Cyclone black tank vent covers on my rig the other day:

Now I was assuming that... as per the diagram sheet that I have, that all the vents were the same size:

However, when I got up there... I discovered 3 vents, with one being much larger than the others. There were 2 on the left, pretty much side-by-side... and then a much larger one on the right.

Now, logic would seem to dictate that the 2 smaller vents are for the 2 grey tanks... and the single vent for the black. But I don't think so. There is no detectable odor from the large vent on the right (in which the cap simply screws off)... but there is quite an odor from one of the smaller ones.

Additionally... the location of the larger-capped vent is almost directly above my furnace, and just forward of the front door.

Since the furnace has it's own exhaust screen on the side of the rig... I'm assuming that this is not a chimney of some sorts. And my roof-top refrigerator vent is a long-type vent running along the front-to-rear axis of the rig.

So, anyone have any ideas what this larger-sized vent is for? And if it's not the black-tank vent... then why are there only 2 other vents when the diagram says I should have 3? I understand that the 2 grey tank vents could be coupled to a single roof vent... but that's not what the diagram states.

Lost & confused...

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:43 AM   #2

Arizona
I believe the large one is for venting the attic space. There should be two.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:44 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Yep, azdryheat has it right. I have two on the 3800 that vent the attic space. Incidently, one of them holes never was drilled all the way through, I poked it with my finger and the plug fell through. The other one, the plug is still in place until such time I get back up there and drill it out.

One more fine operation by the visually impaired that build our RVs.

I thought the Cyclone vent was mainly for motor homes that have people inside while rolling down the road. Living full time in the 5er for almost a year I still haven't found a reason to add them, maybe someday but not yet.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #4

Arizona
I never found the need for a Cyclone vent either. One thing I've found from living in my previous 5'r was keeping enough liquid in the black tank to cover the solid material and giving the tank a good flush when emptying. When it gets very hot outside I had to add a second dose of chemicals. When the trailer is being stored make sure there is some water in the tanks, in the toilet bowl and keep water in the p-traps of the various sinks. Doing this I never had any foul smell issues in my trailer.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #5

Arizona
On another note, where did you get the schematic? I could really use some!
jdmedhurst is offline   Reply With Quote