V3990 - New Owner - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2015, 01:06 PM   #1

Illinois
V3990 - New Owner

There are so many great things to say about this Toy Hauler, but we also had concerns and expressed this with Dutchman through e-mail as they recommended, but their responses are ridiculous and I will share my concern and hopefully some of you will learn from this. Below is my e-mail and one picture example will follow

We purchased the V3990 2 weeks ago and really like the new toy hauler compared to our Adrenaline. I do have a few questions and curious on a few items within the unit.

1.Satellite ready, not even close to ready with today’s system. We own our own Satellite installation company and had to rewire from the side wall-plate into the demark panel. Simple stuff, such as the barrels will not pass the frequencies used today. Connectors were improperly prepped and crimped.
2.Nowhere in the walk through and on the brochure did it mention that the kitchen was on its own gray tank, which is easy to figure out when looking at status lights. Why is there such a large separation on where they drain and not “T” together for easy draining? I can only assume the slide and/or axel, but the second bathroom is tied in on the black tank?
3.We have 2 windows to the right of the front entry door, each a different length and yet you use the same size blinds on each window and the longer is 4” short. (see picture below)
4.Why not have coverage on the door window with a window shade and the window above the door? Makes no sense
5.All other blinds are room darkening, which do no good as the above concerns.
6.Heating ducts in garage, one vent?
7.All light switches in the door of the hallway, makes no sense as if you are in the garage and walk into the living room, no easy light switch.
8.The dual cameras we can see in the truck, but most of the time we lose connection while driving.

The e-mail comes across as a negative approach, but the trailer is terms of pulling was awesome, really like the hitch upgrade and braking system. Outside LED’s are awesome, one of my favorite features is the LED built into the front.

jetboatrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:19 PM   #2

Illinois
It is the little stuff that can make a difference

Old 04-07-2015, 05:00 PM   #3

Illinois
Congratulations on your 3990! We just picked our 3990 last week. Live close to you; Roselle Illinois. Looking forward to meeting you. Could use your satellite expertise. Our unit is at CW getting additional awning, solar, filtration, and lastly satellite. Have Dish like at home. Wanted CW to slave one additional TV to each of the two boxes we bought. Said it couldn't be done. Have it at home, so I'm confused. We pick it up again in 10 days, so we'll play with it then. Again, congrats. See you soon for a celebratory beverage!
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:10 PM   #4

New York
Welcome. jetboat...I can respond to the shade situation. I had the same problem and found the instructions on the internet. I had plenty of shade left on the roller. There is something you can press in on the left side of the roller that provides a release allowing you to pull the shade down further. There is also a way to adjust the upward stopping point using a mechanism on the right side of the shade roller. You may need to take off the valance to access each of these. Good luck!!
Fandamly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:34 PM   #5

Nevada
Jetboatrich:

I don't think there is any Quality Control anymore, but I Love our Voltage V3895, and have had a few items in need of repair. I have also found some things that were not on the walk thru...I do most of my repairs myself so I know its right, but some Warranty items have to be done by the Dealer. Go over to the "Recent Discussions" and check out "Quality Control" and "Show off your Mods" A lot of good information there...Good Luck and Great Camping in your New Voltage
Rich
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #6

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Wanted CW to slave one additional TV to each of the two boxes we bought. Said it couldn't be done. Have it at home, so I'm confused.
Rusty
I think they should say cable ready, not satellite ready.

Here is a link http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...e-hd-2242.html to a mod that I did to slave my bedroom TV to the main TV it works great. It one of many solutions. I like this way since I only need one satellite receiver. I also have my Blu-ray hooked up.. The only drawback I see for you big boys with more then two TVs is you cant have two HDMI receiver's hooked up, but I am sure something may be out there to do it.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:30 PM   #7

Illinois
Great responses so far and I will try and extend the shade should of done a better job (my summary).... I have almost 100 installers who do work for me, I am responsible for what they do and take personal responsibility for what they do, I don't expect my customers, even more if they spend what we do on these units to have to chase down a solution......

Own your brand I always say, resolve the concerns!

I picked up the V3990 in Minneapolis and drove straight to CA, best experience ever hauling something like this, just as we un wrapped the present I am surprised at what was behind the box. Then Dutchman wants to say that is not on them.......
Old 04-07-2015, 09:38 PM   #8

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Congratulations on your 3990! We just picked our 3990 last week. Live close to you; Roselle Illinois. Looking forward to meeting you. Could use your satellite expertise. Our unit is at CW getting additional awning, solar, filtration, and lastly satellite. Have Dish like at home. Wanted CW to slave one additional TV to each of the two boxes we bought. Said it couldn't be done. Have it at home, so I'm confused. We pick it up again in 10 days, so we'll play with it then. Again, congrats. See you soon for a celebratory beverage!
Rusty
Rusty great to see your anticipation in the new toy hauler, I also have a 31' Adrenaline toy hauler and cannot believe the difference. You will be very happy, just need to do a good walk through and make sure all is resolved.

We picked up and towed straight through to CA, camped in the desert and the first time our unit after 35 hours, amazing compared to the other unit. Hopefully you have the air-ride hitch, smooth pulling with this. We also wen with the slide hitch, more money, but well worth it.

I don't see this one ever coming back to the Mid-West, as we bought out to start a new company in CA and our home away from home, which is another reason we bought this unit,
Old 04-07-2015, 10:09 PM   #9

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboatrich View Post
Rusty great to see your anticipation in the new toy hauler, I also have a 31' Adrenaline toy hauler and cannot believe the difference. You will be very happy, just need to do a good walk through and make sure all is resolved.

We picked up and towed straight through to CA, camped in the desert and the first time our unit after 35 hours, amazing compared to the other unit. Hopefully you have the air-ride hitch, smooth pulling with this. We also wen with the slide hitch, more money, but well worth it.

I don't see this one ever coming back to the Mid-West, as we bought out to start a new company in CA and our home away from home, which is another reason we bought this unit,
This is our last Chicago winter as well. Going to practice and learn this summer, spend the winter in West Palm/Keys this winter, then see where the road takes us. I did get the air ride and have a Reese 26K hitch in my long bed. Don't have a ton of tow experience, but trailed it home from Indiana thru Chicago without an issue. Best of luck to you in your new digs. Hope to see you down the road.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:11 PM   #10

New Jersey
Customer Service, What Customer Service!! You can try the contact I have but she doesnt answer me either. Candy Rucker ruckc@keystonerv.com nor does my dealer.
The garage heat is a complete joke and will be just fine on a 65 degree day but other than that forget it. Im sure your list will continue as mine is.

Good Luck
Real Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #11

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Hummer View Post
Customer Service, What Customer Service!! You can try the contact I have but she doesnt answer me either. Candy Rucker ruckc@keystonerv.com nor does my dealer.
The garage heat is a complete joke and will be just fine on a 65 degree day but other than that forget it. Im sure your list will continue as mine is.

Good Luck
Dutchman has no idea what customer service is, generic BS e-mail responses.

100K and this is how they treat people

Garage has one vent, not going to do anything and we bought a portable AC heater while at the RV park.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:15 AM   #12

Arkansas
Customer service?

Just picked up my third Dutchmen last week. I can't believe I went with Dutchmen again. First trip with it, the main slide would not extend fully. First shower in it the water pump filled the basement with water. Dutchmen could not even tell me where to take it for warranty work in this part of the country. They gave me the number of a dealer and told me to call them and see if they would be willing to look at it. (Not all Dutchmen dealers will do warranty work on units not purchased at their facility, and Dutchmen does not require them to do so.) Dutchmen does not have customer service, despite whatever claims they make. I have learned this after years of trying to deal with them.
Chapmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #13

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapmon View Post
Just picked up my third Dutchmen last week. I can't believe I went with Dutchmen again. First trip with it, the main slide would not extend fully. First shower in it the water pump filled the basement with water. Dutchmen could not even tell me where to take it for warranty work in this part of the country. They gave me the number of a dealer and told me to call them and see if they would be willing to look at it. (Not all Dutchmen dealers will do warranty work on units not purchased at their facility, and Dutchmen does not require them to do so.) Dutchmen does not have customer service, despite whatever claims they make. I have learned this after years of trying to deal with them.
Third Dutchman you say????? I have two capped wells on my property, I'm sure they are oil and are still full and pumpable. A three time Dutchman owner should be interested in ownership of these wells.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 01:31 PM   #14

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapmon View Post
Common complaint is customer service, seems that is what makes people mad at them
Old 04-10-2015, 05:23 PM   #15

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Third Dutchman you say????? I have two capped wells on my property, I'm sure they are oil and are still full and pumpable. A three time Dutchman owner should be interested in ownership of these wells.
Bought the first one used and it gave us many years of trouble free fun. Second one was a Denali. Only small issues (TV went out while still under warranty), but no help from Dutchmen. This one is a Voltage 3970. It started out with issues, and again no help from Dutchmen. The single vent in the garage and the single vent in the basement were not news to me. I did a lot of homework before the purchase. I already have a plan in place for those issues. I just want the things that are supposed to work to work, like the water pump and the slide out. A capped well might not be a bad idea? Call it a savings account?
Old 04-10-2015, 10:55 PM   #16

Arizona
Dutcnmen/Voltage isn't any better or any worse than any other brands out there as they all have issues. BTW, isn't Dutchmen now under the Thor/Keystone brand? That could explain some of the lesser quality issues.

We love our 3600 but had many issues to iron out but most were very minor.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:02 PM   #17

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Dutcnmen/Voltage isn't any better or any worse than any other brands out there as they all have issues. BTW, isn't Dutchmen now under the Thor/Keystone brand? That could explain some of the lesser quality issues.

Totally agree and yes under Thor now. I have a friend who purchased a 550,000 Class A last spring. He told me it doesnt matter what you buy they are all the same, thats whats sad. I think the bottom line is todays workforce just doesnt care. I have 16 guys myself and see it with my own employees.
Real Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 11:42 PM   #18

Oklahoma
Quote:

It's my understanding that Dutchman has (always?) been a Thor product line. Also, my understanding, Keystone assumed the warranty claims division from Dutchman.

Just an FYI, Plazzo owners, class A MHs have their share of ****tec slide problems as well. However the class A owners appear to receive far better treatment with slide issues than the step children owners of Voltage toy haulers.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:06 PM   #19

Illinois
Quote:

Maybe true, but they give some BS e-mail responses and hope people just go away
Old 04-11-2015, 12:10 PM   #20

Illinois
here is one response, (spell check )

Thanks for contacting Keystone RV and allowing us to assist you. I appologize for what you feel are short commings, but it is built as designed. The gray water from the rear bath dumps into a black tank, but is built per code as there is a trap under the sink. Looking in the parts catalog for your Voltage I see only on length blind offered. Not sure why this decision was made. The one register and location of light switches has been a pet peeve of other customer and production has been made aware of this. You may need to have your dealer look at the rear monitor to determine if there is something wrong.

Hope this answers your questions.

Thank you,

Dan DeLong
Keystone Owner Relations
1-866-425-4369