Two questions.... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2014, 02:09 AM   #1

North Carolina
Two questions....

I'm sure this has been on the mind of every newbie but I want reassurance before I do anything.

What are you all using to mount stuff to the walls. I look at the thickness of the windows and I don't know which anchor to use to attach to the wall. I'm so afraid of going through the outside wall.

Suggestions?

Second question. We have a 3950 and the ladders (two of them) are both too long and have two hooking points. I'm not sure of the function of the second/top hooking point. Did I get the wrong ladders? Why does it have two sets of hooks? I'm about to cut the ladder up and reweld the hooks to the correct height.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark

orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:05 AM   #2

Louisiana
What are you trying to hang on the walls? I have used 3M Command strips with success.

The top set of hooks on your ladder is for the loft bed. The bottom set is for the upper bunks when you lower the HappiJack beds in the garage.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:03 AM   #3

British Columbia
I use double sided industrial strength tape and industrial strength Velcro, as well as the 3M command strips. You can buy the replacement command strips if want to move stuff around.

I do not hang anything with mechanical fasteners penetrating walls. If you use double sided tape and decide you want to move something, take a piece of dental floss and use a sawing motion to cut the tape, then rub off the residual adhesive. No holes in the walls to worry about.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #4

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
I use double sided industrial strength tape and industrial strength Velcro, as well as the 3M command strips. You can buy the replacement command strips if want to move stuff around.

I do not hang anything with mechanical fasteners penetrating walls. If you use double sided tape and decide you want to move something, take a piece of dental floss and use a sawing motion to cut the tape, then rub off the residual adhesive. No holes in the walls to worry about.
Thanks HD, I've been using a combination of two sided tape (I'm in the body shop business so I've got tons of 3M products around) as well as the command strips.

I'm wanting to hang something larger like a little cabinet above the toilet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
What are you trying to hang on the walls? I have used 3M Command strips with success.

The top set of hooks on your ladder is for the loft bed. The bottom set is for the upper bunks when you lower the HappiJack beds in the garage.

As I just mentioned above, I want to hang a small cabinet on the wall above the toilet. I'm scared I'll drill too far and my anchor will become an instant coat rack on the outside of the trailer.

I figured the different hooks were for the different positions of the loft bed vs. the happijack beds but honestly, neither one fits either position well.

I appreciate your answers. If anyone has suggestions for drilling into the walls, let me know.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 07-17-2014, 04:24 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
Thanks HD, I've been using a combination of two sided tape (I'm in the body shop business so I've got tons of 3M products around) as well as the command strips.

I'm wanting to hang something larger like a little cabinet above the toilet.

As I just mentioned above, I want to hang a small cabinet on the wall above the toilet. I'm scared I'll drill too far and my anchor will become an instant coat rack on the outside of the trailer.

I figured the different hooks were for the different positions of the loft bed vs. the happijack beds but honestly, neither one fits either position well.

I appreciate your answers. If anyone has suggestions for drilling into the walls, let me know.

Thanks,

Mark
Mark

How heavy is the cabinet?

Based on the weight you could use hollow wall anchors like the ones in this how to

Wall Anchors - How to Fasten Objects to a Wall.

These come in various sizes from small machine screw to 1/4 - 20. I have used them in sheetrock, but nothing as thin as Luan board.

Another fastener that I have used is a nutsert, again machine srew to 1/4-20. I have used these in my vinyl garden shed to hang tool racks.

I would be concered about the amount of wieght that is being suppended and the flex in the walls. If I was chosing between these two, I think I would lean towards the 1/4-20 hollow wall anchor. When it spreads behind the walls it would give more support.

If you are lucky enough to be able to hit the framing then go with screws suited to the framing material.

Would an above toilet cabinet style that has the side panels that go to the floor work for you. You won't be putting any weight on the walls and perhaps the 3M tape would do the trick. An added benefit extra surfaces to hang more stuff from.

I can't remember the weight spec on the tape that I use, but like I said it is industrial strength, I buy it in an industrial supply place. I was using the 3M trim tape and was asking it to do too much and I found this other stuff whenI was looking for alternatives.

Good luck,

Reards...
Jim
Old 07-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #6

North Carolina
Quote:
Mark

How heavy is the cabinet?

Based on the weight you could use hollow wall anchors like the ones in this how to

Wall Anchors - How to Fasten Objects to a Wall.

These come in various sizes from small machine screw to 1/4 - 20. I have used them in sheetrock, but nothing as thin as Luan board.

Another fastener that I have used is a nutsert, again machine srew to 1/4-20. I have used these in my vinyl garden shed to hang tool racks.

I would be concered about the amount of wieght that is being suppended and the flex in the walls. If I was chosing between these two, I think I would lean towards the 1/4-20 hollow wall anchor. When it spreads behind the walls it would give more support.

If you are lucky enough to be able to hit the framing then go with screws suited to the framing material.

Would an above toilet cabinet style that has the side panels that go to the floor work for you. You won't be putting any weight on the walls and perhaps the 3M tape would do the trick. An added benefit extra surfaces to hang more stuff from.

I can't remember the weight spec on the tape that I use, but like I said it is industrial strength, I buy it in an industrial supply place. I was using the 3M trim tape and was asking it to do too much and I found this other stuff whenI was looking for alternatives.

Good luck,

Reards...
Jim

Jim,

The cabinet I'm thinking about isn't that heavy but I prefer your idea of a cabinet that would go to the floor.

My question is if I were to use the hollow wall anchors, how long can they be? Is there a safe, already known length that will do the job and not come through the outside?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 07-17-2014, 04:51 PM   #7

British Columbia
Mark

What type of sides do you have on your camper.

I have the cabinet under my TV opened up and I can measure the wall thickness. I am just about to head out to do some work on it so I'll post it when I get back.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Mark

What type of sides do you have on your camper.

I have the cabinet under my TV opened up and I can measure the wall thickness. I am just about to head out to do some work on it so I'll post it when I get back.
I'm sorry, what do you mean what kind of "sides"? You mean material? It's a 3950 if that helps…

Mark
Old 07-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #9

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
X2. Lots of options with the command strips, including velcro.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
I'm sorry, what do you mean what kind of "sides"? You mean material? It's a 3950 if that helps…

Mark
Mark

I meant do your have the aluminum or the smooth sided laminated sides.

I have a smooth sided TT. The spot that I measured was where the TV/phone hookups are, I couldn't tell if I was hitting one of the connectors, so there may be a bit more wall yet.

I came up with 1 7/8" so I wouldn't be going more than a 1 1/2 fastener. Keep in mind that once you are through the Luan you are screwing into either foam on the smooth side and fiberglass bats on the aluminum.

Jim
Old 07-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #11

North Carolina
Quote:
Mark

I meant do your have the aluminum or the smooth sided laminated sides.

I have a smooth sided TT. The spot that I measured was where the TV/phone hookups are, I couldn't tell if I was hitting one of the connectors, so there may be a bit more wall yet.

I came up with 1 7/8" so I wouldn't be going more than a 1 1/2 fastener. Keep in mind that once you are through the Luan you are screwing into either foam on the smooth side and fiberglass bats on the aluminum.

Jim

Gotcha… I have the smooth sides too. I didn't think the walls were even 1 1/2" so that's good. I'll have a little room to play.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 07-18-2014, 12:16 AM   #12

California
We use double sided tape for our clocks and 3M for pictures. I use 'earthquake' mud, (like silly putty) for vases and plants. We use 3M on the walls where there is wall paper. Works great.
birdlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:26 AM   #13

Colorado
Quote:
I'm sure this has been on the mind of every newbie but I want reassurance before I do anything.

What are you all using to mount stuff to the walls. I look at the thickness of the windows and I don't know which anchor to use to attach to the wall. I'm so afraid of going through the outside wall.

Suggestions?

Second question. We have a 3950 and the ladders (two of them) are both too long and have two hooking points. I'm not sure of the function of the second/top hooking point. Did I get the wrong ladders? Why does it have two sets of hooks? I'm about to cut the ladder up and reweld the hooks to the correct height.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark
I have a 3950 as well. The two black ladders that are in mine are for the Loft bed which uses the one set of hooks and the garage bunk bed which will use the shorter set of hooks, the alluminum ladder which is the third ladder is obviously for access to the roof.

2011 Ford F-350 Dually
2014 Voltage 3950
Hazerdous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #14

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazerdous View Post
I have a 3950 as well. The two black ladders that are in mine are for the Loft bed which uses the one set of hooks and the garage bunk bed which will use the shorter set of hooks, the alluminum ladder which is the third ladder is obviously for access to the roof.
Thanks man, though I don't really need to access the roof, I keep the ladder mounted permanently on the side.

Mark
Old 07-20-2014, 12:39 AM   #15

Colorado
Quote:
Thanks man, though I don't really need to access the roof, I keep the ladder mounted permanently on the side.

Mark
That roof ladder is such a pain. One of the features I did like on the Forrest River XLR's was that they had a collapsible ladder that didn't have to be removed. I would be careful though on leaving it attached, I don't know this to be fact but I believe that leaving that ladder on puts you close to the maximum legal width. I can't remember where I heard that but you might want to look into that. Just a heads up.

2011 Ford F-350 Dually
2014 Voltage 3950
Old 07-20-2014, 03:19 PM   #16

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazerdous View Post
That roof ladder is such a pain. One of the features I did like on the Forrest River XLR's was that they had a collapsible ladder that didn't have to be removed. I would be careful though on leaving it attached, I don't know this to be fact but I believe that leaving that ladder on puts you close to the maximum legal width. I can't remember where I heard that but you might want to look into that. Just a heads up.
Very good point.... having said that, I'm hoping that a DMV inspector has something better to do than pull someone over because of an aluminum ladder attached to the side of a trailer...lol.

Mark
Old 07-20-2014, 11:56 PM   #17

Colorado
Quote:
Very good point.... having said that, I'm hoping that a DMV inspector has something better to do than pull someone over because of an aluminum ladder attached to the side of a trailer...lol.

Mark
Just gotta hope that they aren't bored or on a revenue generating spree. LOL

2011 Ford F-350 Dually
2014 Voltage 3950
Old 07-21-2014, 12:14 AM   #18

Tennessee
I removed my ladder!

Here's how. Drive your trailer too close to the fuel pump and forget about the exta width. When you drive off, those big round concrete post will remove it nicely.

Yep! It did! Lucky me didn't hurt anything other than the ladder and my ego..
I have a 14 foot step ladder at home I use when needed, and its sturdy. The ladder that comes with these is a dangerous piece of junk anyway. Climbed up it one time thought it was going to collapse. I'm right at 200 pds. And too old to fall off a ladder. So I'm actually glad its gone. There! I told it.... go ahead... take your shots
Old 07-21-2014, 12:16 AM   #19

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2b View Post
I removed my ladder!

Here's how. Drive your trailer too close to the fuel pump and forget about the exta width. When you drive off, those big round concrete post will remove it nicely.

I have a 14 foot step ladder at home I use when needed, and its sturdy. The ladder that comes with these is a dangerous piece of junk anyway. Climbed up it one time thought it was going to collapse. I'm right at 200 pds. And too old to fall off a ladder. So I'm actually glad its gone. There! I told it.... go ahead... take your shots
I love it when someone can laugh at their mistakes... I do it all the time.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:34 AM   #20

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2b View Post
I removed my ladder!

That's awesome! LOL

2011 Ford F-350 Dually
2014 Voltage 3950