TV Static - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2016, 12:46 AM   #1

Arkansas
TV Static

Hello! I have a 2015 V-Series 3805. I have had intermittent TV static issues with satellite since new. I have been able to correct by removing the wall plate and "wiggling" the wires...but now that doesn't work. I have confirmed that all coax connections are secure at televisions and splitter within the wall. I am suspecting that the 4-way splitter may be the issue and has now gone bad. Has anyone else had this issue or have a suggestion? I have attached a picture of the type of interference experienced on all 4 TV's. Thanks for all the brain power on this forum!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5714.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	3694  

SuperDuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:48 AM   #2

Maine
I had to redo most of my coax connections to clear things up. Goodluck

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

boostme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:03 AM   #3

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuty View Post
Hello! I have a 2015 V-Series 3805. I have had intermittent TV static issues with satellite since new. I have been able to correct by removing the wall plate and "wiggling" the wires...but now that doesn't work. I have confirmed that all coax connections are secure at televisions and splitter within the wall. I am suspecting that the 4-way splitter may be the issue and has now gone bad. Has anyone else had this issue or have a suggestion? I have attached a picture of the type of interference experienced on all 4 TV's. Thanks for all the brain power on this forum!
Like boostme posted, most likely the coax connections need to be replaced with quality compression fittings instead of the crimped OEM junk.
They may seem secure but problems exist inside the barrel of the connection.
The splitter is probably good but it should be replaced with a better quality splitter while you're at it.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:21 AM   #4
Hut

North Carolina
The only thing we've had issues with is not realizing we had to switch a switch off when we switched from "air" to "cable." I was a frustrated individual for a while....
Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #5

Arkansas
Thanks for the feedback. The interesting thing is that all was well when I last used the TV's a few days ago, now all 4 suddenly again have the static. That's what makes me think it's either the splitter or the main antenna connection plate. I appreciate the comment from Sundancer regarding the OEM coax connections, but all 4 TV's went from clear to static at the same time. I'll post results of splitter swap, but if anyone else has a suggestion i'm all ears.
2002 Goldwing Trike
Old 10-21-2016, 12:29 PM   #6

Some drunk at the factory put on 5 cent el cheap coax connectors.. As stated previously, get someone with quality compression coax connectors and a quality splitter and all your woes will go away. Those were the worse connections I have ever seen on mine. I cut all mine out, bought a bag of compression fittings and tool and replaced all mine.. perfect now.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:45 PM   #7

Arkansas
Thanks Tanman and Sundancer. I'll change the connectors and splitter and hope for improved picture quality. Thanks again!
2002 Goldwing Trike
Old 10-21-2016, 03:18 PM   #8

Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuty View Post
Thanks for the feedback. The interesting thing is that all was well when I last used the TV's a few days ago, now all 4 suddenly again have the static. That's what makes me think it's either the splitter or the main antenna connection plate. I appreciate the comment from Sundancer regarding the OEM coax connections, but all 4 TV's went from clear to static at the same time. I'll post results of splitter swap, but if anyone else has a suggestion i'm all ears.

The fact that they are went bad at the same time would imply its something at the splitter or before it, up to and including whatever is getting the signal to the camper. If you are in an area where you can get OTA channels, put the antennae up and on, and see if they are also hazy then. That will help narrow it down further.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:21 PM   #9

Maryland
One other consideration that I certainly hope is not the cause is rodents... they seem to love those wires.

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:07 PM   #10

Michigan
also some of the cheap LED lights will affect radio and TV signal, have you recently added any?
Pinshootr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:52 PM   #11

Arkansas
I have not added or replaced any of the factory lights with LED's. This problem has been intermittent since taking delivery of the coach. I have, however, learned that this is also an indication that the Winegard antenna booster wall plate unit may have a bad connection. Tomorrow I plan to do the following:
1) Replace the input coaxial connector to the splitter, and then use a known good coax from the splitter to the TV to see if problem goes away.
2) If problem is still present, I will then replace the OEM splitter.
3) If problem is still present, I will then replace the Winegard unit that has the output connection that feeds the satellite signal.

Hopefully by process of elimination I can determine the cause and solution.
2002 Goldwing Trike
Old 11-02-2016, 12:52 AM   #12

Arkansas
UPDATE...
So sometimes it's best to call in a professional and save yourself the aggravation, which is what I did. All 4 TV's now work correctly without static. Here's what was done, and I hope it helps someone else down the road...

1) Checked all barrel connectors at all cable ends (there's a lot!). All were compression fittings rather than crimped fittings, but some had the braided wire strands wrapped around the copper center wire which causes a signal short, and some were loose (not installed correctly). Replaced all questionable connectors.

2) Bedroom coax is longest run from splitter, and had a second splitter in line. I assume that this further split the signal to provide connection to the "loft". I will never need a TV in the loft (heck, I'll never BE in the loft!). Removed this second splitter, and taped extra coax to the other one so it didn't get lost in the wall.

BTW - split signals reduce the strength, putting more emphasis on quality connectors and connections.

3) Bedroom TV still had static, so replaced 4-way splitter with a 4-way signal amplifier. This corrected the problem and all 4 TV's work great! Unfortunately, the amplifier required a larger hole in cabinet to reinstall into wall. This was then covered by placing a "blank" wall plate adjacent to the existing wall plate. In a dark closed cabinet it is not noticeable.

In addition, an HDMI cable was run from my Dish receiver directly to the main TV, and also left the coax connection for air antenna connected. All TV's now work without static as they should have!

I appreciate all I have learned on this forum, and hope my recent experience may help others. Thanks!
2002 Goldwing Trike
Old 11-02-2016, 02:33 AM   #13

Arizona
My splitters were only rated for cable. I replaced them with higher frequency satellite-rated splitters and got a better picture. However, the best thing I did was to use Wireless Genies from DirecTv. They use HDMI cables and aren't part of the coax system so the picture is home quality.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 02:40 AM   #14

Texas
Great report. I can hear your relief in it.

Now your set to shake the rest of it down on some adventure weekends! I suspect if you go at any problems that crop up with the tenacity you had on this one, you're sure to get good results most every time.
2003 Ram 2500 Cummins (can't kill this beast)
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:44 AM   #15

Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Great report. I can hear your relief in it.

Now your set to shake the rest of it down on some adventure weekends! I suspect if you go at any problems that crop up with the tenacity you had on this one, you're sure to get good results most every time.
What a great way to look at it man! Its a roller coaster...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk