Trailer Damage - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #1

Texas
Trailer Damage

So on our trip to Big Bend in October, a truck hauling rock passed by me on a two lane highway and peppered my truck and trailer with rocks. My truck needs a new windshield, some paint repair and a new front grill. $1,400 in damage.

My trailer took the bigger hit. The side window was busted out, there are quite a few chips in the paint and the inside got wet due to the fact that we were 6 hours from home and it rained the whole time. I stopped and installed plexiglass on the inside to protect things as best I could but it was not water tight.

Now it's been sitting at the dealer for a month waiting for them to generate an estimate for the insurance claim. It has rained a few times since it has been there so who knows how much more water has gotten inside. I have asked them to do a thorough inspection of the interior of the trailer to ensure I wont have issues down the road with water damage due to this.

They called me with a couple of numbers yesterday. $2,000 for interior blinds that were damaged, the main window and one of the smaller windows in the garage that got damaged. $15,000 to repaint the side of the trailer and the front cap. I knew paint work on these trailers was expensive but this seems really high to me for just one side of the trailer. They weren't very sure of the process when I questioned the methods of painting and whether the entire side would be painted or they would touch up and blend. They haven't investigated the inside to see if the carpet needs to be replaced. The couch did get damaged from all the glass but I'm not sure how that gets handled.

I've never had a claim if this magnitude. I assume someone from my insurance company will contact me to review the estimate?? Will they ensure the dealer isn't try to take advantage of a situation? If they approve a 15k paint job then I would expect to get the whole side repainted and not a touch-up.

soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:38 PM   #2

Colorado
Wow! That is a lot of damage! Were you able to get the license or company of the truck that caused that? Your insurance company might want to go after them. For that much rock they clearly did not have their load covered.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:16 PM   #3

Maryland
Ouch!!! Also, $15k for a paint job? I thought it was only a $10k or $12k option... I think you would be better off getting two estimates....get the trailer fixed first, then an actual body shop for the paint...heck, for that money, you could change the whole trailers paint scheme.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 04:01 PM   #4

Wyoming
That $10k for full body paint is when they can do the entire process. When things have to be done al a carte... You pay more because of prep, masking, etc. Plus, remember, it's gel-coat... not just plain ole auto enamel. So... actually, your estimate for that sounds feasible.

That said... I'd make sure that they get someone who damn sure knows what they're doing to paint it.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:31 PM   #5

California
Sooner - I just had 22k in hail damage to truck and RV caused by hail. Although our situations are very different, I know that the first battle that you want to win is making sure the insurance company agrees to make repairs. Once they agree the repairs are their responsibility to take care of, the cost should not matter. My insurance company thought it was only going to be 6k based on the first adjusters estimate (idiot). When they found out what the total was, they had a second adjuster verify the additional cost and approved it. It seems like you need to have the adjuster come out at this point and look at the RV. With regard to the high paint cost... I doubt they are overcharging knowing that it will be an insurance claim. If they are, the insurance company will work it out with them without having to get you involved. Best of luck... I think the hardest part is the time you and your RV will be apart.
KeithE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:31 PM   #6

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
That $10k for full body paint is when they can do the entire process. When things have to be done al a carte... You pay more because of prep, masking, etc. Plus, remember, it's gel-coat... not just plain ole auto enamel. So... actually, your estimate for that sounds feasible.

That said... I'd make sure that they get someone who damn sure knows what they're doing to paint it.
They also said they have to take it to a painter who specializes in RV's because of the paint booth size required.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:35 PM   #7

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithE View Post
Sooner - I just had 22k in hail damage to truck and RV caused by hail. Although our situations are very different, I know that the first battle that you want to win is making sure the insurance company agrees to make repairs. Once they agree the repairs are their responsibility to take care of, the cost should not matter. My insurance company thought it was only going to be 6k based on the first adjusters estimate (idiot). When they found out what the total was, they had a second adjuster verify the additional cost and approved it. It seems like you need to have the adjuster come out at this point and look at the RV. With regard to the high paint cost... I doubt they are overcharging knowing that it will be an insurance claim. If they are, the insurance company will work it out with them without having to get you involved. Best of luck... I think the hardest part is the time you and your RV will be apart.
Thanks for the info.

I knew it was going to be bad when the guy at the dealership walked out and was like "ohh, you have full paint. Your insurance company is going to love this."

When I dropped mine off, they mentioned that they had another trailer there waiting on repair authorization due to hail damage. They mentioned that the insurance company did not agree with the initial assessment of cost.

In my case, the adjusted never came out to look at the trailer. I have State Farm and they said to take it to where I want it to be fixed and have them send the estimate. I'm sure when they see the cost, they will want to send someone out.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:50 PM   #8

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post

Exactly what he said!!
STTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:24 PM   #9

New Jersey
the paint is not a gel coat, its a two stage paint, base coat and a clear coat. I think they use PPG or Sikens paint but the question is finding someone with a booth big enough.
Real Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:24 AM   #10

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonernation View Post
Thanks for the info.

I have State Farm and they said to take it to where I want it to be fixed and have them send the estimate.
Thank your lucky stars you had State Farm. I've had them for 30 + years, home owners, vehicle, rv, power sports, etc. I've had multiple claims, a few that made me scratch my own head, and I've never had a problem. I hit 8 deer in 3 months one time, figured they drop me, but never happened. I've been a lifetime customer, and always will be. Might pay 5 bucks a month more, but I've never been questioned.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:41 AM   #11

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wino View Post
Thank your lucky stars you had State Farm. I've had them for 30 + years, home owners, vehicle, rv, power sports, etc. I've had multiple claims, a few that made me scratch my own head, and I've never had a problem. I hit 8 deer in 3 months one time, figured they drop me, but never happened. I've been a lifetime customer, and always will be. Might pay 5 bucks a month more, but I've never been questioned.
I'm with you on that. I've been a customer for almost 25 years with the same agent and while I haven't had too many claims, I have never had a problem with them. They got the quote from the dealer and had a check cut in about a week.