Toy Hauler Upgrade: Voltage or Fuzion - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2015, 07:27 PM   #1

North Carolina
Toy Hauler Upgrade: Voltage or Fuzion

New guy to the forum here. My wife and I own a 2013 Palomino Puma Unleashed Toy Hauler 351THSS currently. While a great starter unit (which we knew), it is time for something better. In 3 years and ~15,000 miles, all I have done is fix problem after problem. Case in point to name a few: water pump line not installed when purchased, speaker wires not connected in ceiling, paneling on walls coming unstapled from going up and down the road, brake magnets not working due to improper routing of wires in drum causing them to get sheared off, wiring under camper is like spaghetti hanging and had to zip tie it all up, holes in the frame for wires are cut with a torch not drilled, the etc etc. There is more I'm sure but its always something it seems and I am no way impressed with the quality.

So the big decision now is Voltage 3305 or Fuzion 345. Both units are beautiful and about the same price point. Truthfully the voltage looks better on the inside and the Fuzion looks better on the outside with the full body paint. I have been researching for days on forums trying to find the dirty laundry on both units. While both have their flaws, I have been reading forums for days and it seems to really come down to the dealer and their preparations/presale inspections.

If i were to buy a 2015 Voltage, what are the main items i should be looking for? Main issues i have read about for older units include slide issues and cheap tires. Are these still problems for the 2015/2016 units or have they fixed the bugs? Any help or advice you could give would be appreciated. Toy haulers are not cheap and its smart to be educated.

ncamilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:16 PM   #2

Illinois
Depending on who you talk to, you'll find owners who will rip both units. I can only tell you that I have a 2015 3990 Voltage. I've had a few hiccups, like a generator stall issue and a plumbing leak, as well as a few fit/finish things, which the guys on this forum have walked me through graciously (and patiently, LOL) Overall though, I'm very happy with my purchase. While the new Voltage's still have the questionable Westlake tires, the slides are now cable, to which I have not had an issue. Like you, I looked at them all, and the boss and I felt like for the dollar, the Voltage had better fit/finish than the rest. Good luck with your choice.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:39 PM   #3

Colorado
We also took possession of a 2015 3990 Voltage in early April. We’ve had it out four times since then in rain/snow and most recently hot weather here in Colorado and have put over 1500 miles on it. As Rusty stated, there have been a few fit and finish issues, but nothing I couldn’t repair on the fly myself. Had a few rounds getting the generator to work properly but after reading the instructions completely (Duh!) and following some of the advise on this forum, she’s running great.

Not sure how to comment on the tires. Mine seem to be holding up just fine, but 1500 miles is hardly a test. Just keeping a close eye on them and plan to put a tire monitor system on them very soon. The cable slide system seems to also be working just fine, however I did notice a little slack in one of the upper cables on the bedroom slide this last time out. It took up the slack fine on the retract and it pulls the slide up good and tight, so I’m not too concerned right now. Again, keeping a close eye on it.

All in all, the DW and I are over the moon with our selection…love our Voltage.
mddean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:42 PM   #4

California
The only other one I would look at would be the Grand Design Momentum. If I would have been able to find a 350M when I was looking I would have bought it.
That said I'm happy with my V3605. Haven't had any slide problems but did change to 17.5 tires.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:12 PM   #5

Tennessee
We were looking at the fuzion 331, raptor 332, and the voltage 3305. All have similar floorplans. Chose the voltage because we liked the interior better and it has a lighter hitch weight. Its a 2015. We got it in september. It has the schwintek slides but no problems so far. Only problem we've had is the main ac. It leaked all the refrigerant out over the winter. Can't blame dutchmen for that since its made by dometic. I used to do hvac so I gassed it up myself instead of leaving it on a dealer lot for who knows how long to get fixed. We love it so far and if given the choice we would do it again.
2012 EZ-GO 2FIVE LSV 2014 Gem E4 LSV
3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:10 PM   #6

Washington
We too were looking at the Voltage and Fuzion and decided on the Voltage. Ours is titled as a 2015 but purchased in August 2014 with schwintek slides and are happy so far. There are issues and the local dealer (not a Voltage dealer but sells Keystone) has addressed all of them. I just took the advice on this forum and decided to fix what I could so I knew it was done right. I can't speak about the Fuzion but I'm not sorry I purchased this unit. Just pick the floor plan you like the best along with the comforts and call it good....enjoy!

By the way....I would replace the tires with 17.5s no matter which one you purchase. It's really worth it in the long run.

Happiness is an old pickup truck, a good dog and an understanding woman....
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:14 PM   #7

North Carolina
I appreciate all the info and insights. When will the 2016 models be released are there any changes?
ncamilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:19 PM   #8

Washington
I don't know when the "official" date is, but as stated ours was titled 2015 from August and we still had the schwintek slides. I think it just depends on when they get rid of the "old" stock of parts before they make changes.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:52 PM   #9
Site Team

North Carolina
Typically the model year changes around April?

I bought a 2015 in June of 2014

Regardless of WHAT you buy do a thorough PDI and DON'T sign until the issues are fixed. Once they have your money it is even harder to impossible to get anything fixed.

They will continue to put the cheapest tires they can on a unit to increase profit margins. They are in the profit business NOT the RV or customer satisfaction business. Figure on new tires or negotiate a new set of your choice into the deal.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:14 PM   #10

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncamilli View Post
So the big decision now is Voltage 3305 or Fuzion 345. Both units are beautiful and about the same price point. Truthfully the voltage looks better on the inside and the Fuzion looks better on the outside with the full body paint. I have been researching for days on forums trying to find the dirty laundry on both units. While both have their flaws, I have been reading forums for days and it seems to really come down to the dealer and their preparations/presale inspections.
So don't hold us in suspense....which way are you gonna go

Old 06-27-2015, 02:06 AM   #11

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
The only other one I would look at would be the Grand Design Momentum. If I would have been able to find a 350M when I was looking I would have bought it.
That said I'm happy with my V3605. Haven't had any slide problems but did change to 17.5 tires.
Im with ya on the Grand Design. I've been eyeballing it at my dealer even thought about a trade.. but I would lose my @#tt.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:08 AM   #12

Colorado
We spent several years with our Jayco T29A...knowing it was our "starter" Toyhauler. Spent lots of time looking at 5th wheel Toyhaulers...looking for one that met our "desires".

We are empty nesters, want as many of the comforts as home as one can have in an RV.

So we chose the 2014 Voltage Epic 3800.

Yes, like any RV these days one has to wonder if they have a QA program.

But I spent time on this forum learning about systems and details and am learning to do most everything myself. Then it gets done right, and I've learned more about my RV.

The warranty is worthless, even the extended warranty we purchased, other than to cover major components that fail...like the refrigerator, or an AC unit. Other than that, I do it myself, with lots of help on this forum.

As many of us have learned painfully. You make an appointment for your RV to be repaired. As much as a month or more later, you still don't have it back. THEN you find out the appointment you made is just the date you drop it off at the dealer...has absolutely nothing to do with when it will be repaired.

So....spend time looking at the interior, the options, and decide what matter so you and chose an RV on that basis. Everything else can be addressed, probably by you!!

Some of ours were:

A shower stall...didn't want a mini-bathtub and a shower curtain.

Wanted plenty of fresh water and black/grey water capacity. Our Epic has 196 gallon fresh water storage, 2-48 gal grey tanks and 2-48 gallon black tanks.

Wanted a traditional dinette so I could set up my laptop to keep up with the world.

Wanted just two recliners...we have that, both heated and with LED lights.

Didn't want kitchen appliances in a slide...have that.

Has a 14 ft garage so our Polaris RZR will fit, and have room for a larger one when that time comes.

Has the hydraulic jacks with auto leveling...got that

Has a large refrigerator freezer so we can have plenty of storage and freezer space.

And the list goes on...but we put together a written list of "gotta haves" and "wanna haves" and looked at trailers from there.

Good luck on your search!!!

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote