Towing issues? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #1

Utah
Towing issues?

Anyone have any of these?

Bucking with this fancy air ride hitch?

*I run way less pressure then recommend buy the arrows way better but?

Sway?

*I ended up lifting mine two inches to match ride height with my stock 04 GMC Duramax. Also raised pin box to next holes to get the level correct! Way better now but came from a triple axle and miss it already!

Tires? seem to fold over very easy in turns compared to the Maxxis I had on last trailer.

*Have not swapped out tires yet!

Weight?

*My 2013 3200 dry was said to be 11,200 lbs or right there with no water and loaded with house holds (no toys is closer to 14,200 HEAVY pig for two axles dont care what the rating is.

Not ranting just seeing if anyone has some experiences!

Thanks in advance.

MOOSKIDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #2

Washington
Thumbs up Just comparing?

What seems to make the biggest difference for us is getting the trailer level and keeping the pin heavy. We have a black and gray tank both in front and behind the axles so we keep the two behind the axles empty while travelling.

Trailer is about 12k lbs theand the truck would just touch the overloads which seemed to cause some bounce off them. Added airbags so there's infinite adjustment so we're level and off the overloads no matter how the trailer' s loaded.

Went to Bilstein shocks on truck and EZ Flex on the trailer to help with our horrible roads. All in all it rides pretty well; may add a MorRyde pin box to take out the last of the occasional chucking we still get.

Was that what you're looking for?

Nice rig!

Old 07-10-2013, 02:11 AM   #3

Utah
Kinda..... Sorry my info didn't show up earlier, so we can compare apples to apples!

04 dirtymax CCSB
bilstein 5100's front
ranch xl adjustable out back
air bags
superglide hitch
tri glide pin box

Mine actually pulls better with weight in the rear (toy hauler), no where near the triple axle Weekend Warrior 3505 I had. Trying to get it close. Have the Trailer level with the truck now. but it seems like the air bag hitch hurts worse than it helps on the big ones!
Old 07-10-2013, 06:08 AM   #4

Michigan
is there any slop in your superglide? nothing wrong with the superglide, but there can be a little slop. is the nylon bushing adjusted properly?
GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #5

Quebec
You mention that you run way less pressure in your Tri Glide than the arrows would indicate. I have found that too much pressure causes bucking and too little causes the Tri Glide to bottom out, thus making it ineffective in smoothing the ride.
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
kevinmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #6

Utah
Moo...>> I see you have the same unit as mine however a different TV. When you look at your pin box where it attaches to the camper there are 6 bolts on each side. I tried to have my camper lowered to the lowest level to even out my camper. Although there is an additional set of holes the mechanics at CW said the frame was beveled (??) and it would not lower anymore. By any chance is yours at its lowest level where the fiberglass front is about 1/4 inch above the frame of the pinbox>?? My fiberglass is about 2 1/2 inches above the pin box and needs to be lowered to level out the camper. I asks you because you said you do all your own work and not drag it to the dealer.
Is there any chance anyone has the same set up and successful in getting the pinbox to its lowest level (actually its as far inside the frame of the camper as possible which lowers the front) where the fiberglass part is right above the frame of the pin box.??

A little off topic but what the heck.. thanks guys.

I have my trail air pin box in its highest (closest to the bottom of the coach) I did it with the landing gears down and the pin box attached to hitch in the bed and used the jacks to assist in the move. I will go look again but it seem like the rear upper bolts were a pain but cant remember right now. Pin box is 1/4" to 1/2" away form bottom or trailer now. I think the super glide is taller than most hitches but have never compared.

p.s. long breaker bar needed to break bolts loose, I have a mean 1/2" impact and wouldn't even touch them. A Little heat wouldn't hurt either. loctite on the way back together!
Old 07-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #7

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmiles View Post
You mention that you run way less pressure in your Tri Glide than the arrows would indicate. I have found that too much pressure causes bucking and too little causes the Tri Glide to bottom out, thus making it ineffective in smoothing the ride.
I want to say the trailer at the top of the arrows is 95 to 105 psi depending on load

I run it at the bottom of the triangle on the arrow 65 psi is about the best for me.

I have ran it lower and yes it bottoms out.

I spoke to lippert and they told me the arrow is only a guide and you can run it without air with no damage which is B.S. cause but some good dingers on the inside plate running low pressure.

The triglide does its job perfectly on the small stuff but seems to to magnify the large hits!
Old 07-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #8

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDENYEARS View Post
is there any slop in your superglide? nothing wrong with the superglide, but there can be a little slop. is the nylon bushing adjusted properly?
Super glide is dialed, disassembled and sand down the rails and re apply slip plate and adjust delrin pinch bushing regularly.

Everything works perfectly, quiet. The big hits is what I have problem with.

Maybe two shocks is the answer but haven't seen a good setup yet the ones i have seen the guys have bent the bolts mounting two shocks out board on the single mount.

I know I could come up with something just not willing. I would rather spend the money and time putting a third axle under it knowing it would be a greater benefit! (used to have a triple axle pulled light years better)

Also tri glide works in opposite of the way my mind would build one I would have the pivot in front and bag in back reversing the swing, but i'm no engineer
Old 07-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOSKIDOO View Post
Moo...>> I see you have the same unit as mine however a different TV. When you look at your pin box where it attaches to the camper there are 6 bolts on each side. I tried to have my camper lowered to the lowest level to even out my camper. Although there is an additional set of holes the mechanics at CW said the frame was beveled (??) and it would not lower anymore. By any chance is yours at its lowest level where the fiberglass front is about 1/4 inch above the frame of the pinbox>?? My fiberglass is about 2 1/2 inches above the pin box and needs to be lowered to level out the camper. I asks you because you said you do all your own work and not drag it to the dealer.
Is there any chance anyone has the same set up and successful in getting the pinbox to its lowest level (actually its as far inside the frame of the camper as possible which lowers the front) where the fiberglass part is right above the frame of the pin box.??

A little off topic but what the heck.. thanks guys.

I have my trail air pin box in its highest (closest to the bottom of the coach) I did it with the landing gears down and the pin box attached to hitch in the bed and used the jacks to assist in the move. I will go look again but it seem like the rear upper bolts were a pain but cant remember right now. Pin box is 1/4" to 1/2" away form bottom or trailer now. I think the super glide is taller than most hitches but have never compared.

p.s. long breaker bar needed to break bolts loose, I have a mean 1/2" impact and wouldn't even touch them. A Little heat wouldn't hurt either. loctite on the way back together!
MOO>> did you have any problem raising the pin box into the frame box when you changed the pinbox height??. The dealer is saying there is a bevel (of what I do not know) stopping the pinbox from going into the frame. They said the bevel would have to be ground off and they did not want to do that. I need the pin box to go as high into the frame as possible.
BTW I contacted Pull Rite. they make shorter "feet" for the model I have. Its about 1 1/2 inches shorter than the original ones. thats another 95 dollars.. Hopefully If I can get both done I can get the front down a few inches.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #10

Utah
I did not have to grind anything I can take a pic tonight!

Mine is level with great rail clearance which i am fine with. Sometimes it gets pretty twisted up where we go.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #11

Quebec
Interesting feedback re the pressure you run in the Tri Glide. With my trailer, I only need about 53.5 PSI to get it even with the arrows ..... but your rig probably has a higher pin weight. Just one last thought ..... have you checked the shock absorber on the Tri Glide just to make sure it's good?
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
Old 07-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #12

Utah
Have not tested the shock trailer has 8 trips on it but I guess I should not rule it out.

What pressure do you end up with towing 53.5psi? or thats just to the top of the arrows (for reference)
Old 07-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #13

Quebec
Good question. I've never checked what the pressure goes to when attached to the truck ready to tow, but I guess it would be considerably more than 53.5 PSI. I'll have to check next time I'm connected up. (Although climbing into my (short) pick-up bed when the trailer is on is not my favorite pastime!)
2012 GMC 2500HD Diesel
Old 07-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #14

I think the last time I checked the shock air it was somewhere around 55 psi. I do know when I carry different toys in the bay the shock changes. Since im not level maybe that makes a difference.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #15

Utah
Sounds like we are very close on bag pressures, maybe my sticker is just in the wrong spot. I like 55 better but it will bottom out on a few spots or our normal route.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #16

Utah
Raised pin box. Sorry I took so long! I was wrong about my measurement, its about 3/4" to an 1" away from bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	277
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	574   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (1).jpg
Views:	278
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	575