Toilet Crapped Out - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #1

Texas
Toilet Crapped Out

I went to set up the other day. I waited to turn on the water because I needed to replace the anode in the water heater. I turned on the water then went into the bathroom to run the hot water so the HW tank would fill. I see water on the floor. It was coming from behind the toilet. Long story short, something failed at the valve that allows water to flow into the toilet when you depress the foot pedal. Water would not stop running out on the floor until I turned off the city supply.

Lesson learned from this - Keep a threaded plug to close off the water supply to the toilet. I was able to acquire one from the hardware store so we could at least have water in our trailer. Ended up having to buy a new toilet. Probably could have ordered just the base from Thedford but I didn't want to mess with it.

soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #2

Arizona
Bummer. You mentioned you needed to replace the anode in the water heater. What water heater do you have. I ask this because my Voltage 3905 did not have an anode in it when I bought it. I put one in and had a very difficult time changing it the first time. Only the plug wanted to come out and the anode was stuck. After some work I got it out. So to cut to the chase. I have an Atwood water heater. Seems they have an aluminum tank and don't use an anode.

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:45 AM   #3

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonernation View Post
Lesson learned from this - Keep a threaded plug to close off the water supply to the toilet.
Could you tell me what size plug you brought? I would like to keep one handy just in case.
slb5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:11 AM   #4

New Mexico
I had a similar problem with our toilet. Our foot pedal just fell off and that valve which actuates with the foot pedal popped out and water went every where until I could shut the main off and put the valve back in place. The CW warranty rep said it wasn't too uncommon for this particular toilet and he thought it was because of the long foot action on the aqua II or whatever its called. I asked if it could be replaced under warranty with the aqua I front foot pedal model and he said no and that they would replace it with the same model. We have not picked it up as we are on vacation until tomorrow. One of my future mods is to cut the hose that feeds the toilet and put a shutoff valve in line in case this happens again.
72mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #5

Colorado
We have a 2014 Kodiak 240 BHSL, our toilet also developed a leak. It only leaked when filling the bowl (pressing pedal 1/2 way). It turned out to be the "water module" at the back of the toilet near the top. Luckily it was quickly replaced under warranty.
I can't say that on this visit with the cracked black tank!!
rcharrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #6

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slb5146 View Post
Could you tell me what size plug you brought? I would like to keep one handy just in case.
This one:

Shop LASCO 1/2-in Dia PVC Sch 40 Plug at Lowes.com
Old 01-02-2014, 07:29 PM   #7

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
Bummer. You mentioned you needed to replace the anode in the water heater. What water heater do you have. I ask this because my Voltage 3905 did not have an anode in it when I bought it. I put one in and had a very difficult time changing it the first time. Only the plug wanted to come out and the anode was stuck. After some work I got it out. So to cut to the chase. I have an Atwood water heater. Seems they have an aluminum tank and don't use an anode.
I think mine is a Dometic but I would have to check.

My buddy who has a 2014 3990 showed me his water heater and it's the Atwood without the anode.