Tires - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2018, 12:15 AM   #1

Colorado
Tires

I just noticed that the rear tires on both sides of my Voltage 3600 have completely worn out . The other tires look fine. About 20,000 on them. 10 ply. I am very anal on the pressure so that can't be it. I may be a little nose high, very little. What would cause them to do that?
Thanks
SR

Sandrooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:30 AM   #2

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrooney View Post
I just noticed that the rear tires on both sides of my Voltage 3600 have completely worn out . The other tires look fine. About 20,000 on them. 10 ply. I am very anal on the pressure so that can't be it. I may be a little nose high, very little. What would cause them to do that?
Thanks
SR

I think Axle out of alignment with the rest of the trailer. maybe you should check to see if something has come loose underneath.

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:59 AM   #3

Colorado
Thanks . I will check that out.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:07 PM   #4

Illinois
How are they worn? Inside, outside, all over? Could be alignment, load, etc.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #5

Colorado
Outside on the right inside on the left. Probably alignment. Thanks lol
Old 08-25-2018, 11:45 PM   #6

Virginia
Check out the Voltage FB page. I also have a V. After checking the FB page found several including me who are having issues with Axles, springs and Hangers. The suspension system on the Voltages seem to be straight up CRAP! I’m looking at around $1500 worth of repairs in around a month.
Wydoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:13 AM   #7

Colorado
It was the leaf spring hanger on the right side rear. It broke off. I was on the road in Jackson WY. at Big O waiting my turn for tires when I saw that the hanger was broken. The big guy was looking out for me that day. There was a welding shop around the corner and he had it fixed in a couple hours. I still had time to get my tires and get back on the road. We found a place in Rock Springs WY. that did alignments had it checked and all was good.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:43 AM   #8

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandrooney View Post
It was the leaf spring hanger on the right side rear. It broke off. I was on the road in Jackson WY. at Big O waiting my turn for tires when I saw that the hanger was broken. The big guy was looking out for me that day. There was a welding shop around the corner and he had it fixed in a couple hours. I still had time to get my tires and get back on the road. We found a place in Rock Springs WY. that did alignments had it checked and all was good.
Awesome Kevin glad to hear it worked out. Any pictures by chance?
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:11 PM   #9

Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCLARK View Post
Awesome Kevin glad to hear it worked out. Any pictures by chance?
Just like any vehicle, it is very important to rotate tire positions every 6-8000 miles to get best wear patterns. Especially on a heavy tri-axle trailer. Always check which tires are wearing, and which look better. I burnt trough my first set of tires in 12000 miles on my 3905 Voltage. Very heavy trailer with 2 Ultra Classic Harley Davidson's in the garage on long runs from Canada to Arizona. Back tires always wear harder on loaded toyhauler. Now running 14 Ply Pro Meter steel radials. Very heavy outside rib on these tires and 110 PSI required. Now have 30,000 miles on them with more to go.
bigronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 03:47 PM   #10

Ontario
I dumped the ST tires and put LTs on my 3950. I know that won't help with OPs problem, but it cut way down on wear.

This is a photo from my old Victory Lane (predecessor to the Voltage) with a broken spring hanger

joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #11

Ohio
If people did visual inspection of their tires every travel day when they check their air pressure wear peoblems would be caught early on.
Broken suspension is definatelya SAFETY issue and should be reported to NHTSA.
Retired Tire Design Engineer (40 years). I write a blog on RV tire applications www.RVTireSafety.NET and give seminars on RV tire application across the US. Serve on Technical Advisory Panel for FMCA. I am scheduled to give seminars on Genealogy and RV Tire Safety in March at FMCA in Tuscon AZ on 25 & 26.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:58 PM   #12

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
If people did visual inspection of their tires every travel day when they check their air pressure wear peoblems would be caught early on.
Broken suspension is definatelya SAFETY issue and should be reported to NHTSA.
save your breath, the ntsa is worthless. They did and have done nothing concerning the china bombs that the mfr keeps putting on these rv's.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:44 AM   #13

Arizona
I run Michelin XPS Ribs LT's and after 4 years and several coast-to-coast trips they still look good. I remember my original Chinese tires looked like garbage after a trip of 2,000 miles from the factory to AZ.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:21 AM   #14

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
save your breath, the ntsa is worthless. They did and have done nothing concerning the china bombs that the mfr keeps putting on these rv's.

NHTSA responds to actionable complaints they receive and not to postings on the Internet.

I would challenge everyone on this forum who has had a tire failure to tell us how many complaints (with full tire DOT serial and vehicle VIN) they sent off to NHTSA.
A search of the complaint list shows only a couple hundred over the last 10 years. This represents less than 1% of the tires imported.

I also wonder how many people here ever refused to buy an RV unless or untill better and higher capacity tires were supplied on the RV.
Retired Tire Design Engineer (40 years). I write a blog on RV tire applications www.RVTireSafety.NET and give seminars on RV tire application across the US. Serve on Technical Advisory Panel for FMCA. I am scheduled to give seminars on Genealogy and RV Tire Safety in March at FMCA in Tuscon AZ on 25 & 26.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:10 AM   #15

Illinois
Sure, the dealer will gladly put better tires on your RV before you buy it, but he's going to charge you a heck of a lot more than Discount Tire or other tire outlets.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:37 AM   #16

Florida
Quote:
NHTSA responds to actionable complaints they receive and not to postings on the Internet.

I would challenge everyone on this forum who has had a tire failure to tell us how many complaints (with full tire DOT serial and vehicle VIN) they sent off to NHTSA.
A search of the complaint list shows only a couple hundred over the last 10 years. This represents less than 1% of the tires imported.

I also wonder how many people here ever refused to buy an RV unless or untill better and higher capacity tires were supplied on the RV.
Tireman, I agree with you the National Highway Transportation Safety Administrator does take action on complete complaints and the manufactures do pay attention.
I filed a complaint about my air ride hitch with the NHTSA and within one working day of filing the complaint I had notification from the NHTSA and a phone call from a vice president at Keystone wanting to resolve the issue immediately.
I also made my dealership through in upgraded G rated tires (at their expense) before I signed on the line, of course it was my second fifth wheel so I knew about China bombs before purchase.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:23 AM   #17

Florida
Quote:

I filed two reports related to china bombs. Each time they just exploded, fortunately, they did not cause any damage and both involved interstate driving. I'm smart enough to know that those tires did not have what I would have considered, enough sidewall to be able to support the weight of my trailer. When I changed the tire for the exact tire size that was already on the rv, the difference was very noticeable. The rating was suitable for the weight on the trailer, the tire was actually wider and taller than the tire that came on the rv. There are LOTS of folks on this forum and many others that have complaints regarding those tires. I kept the tires for three months because I told them they could have the tires to investigate. At the end of three months, I had to send them a letter asking them if they were going to want to see the tires or not, they eventually sent a letter back saying some mumbo jumbo. I disposed of the tires properly.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:49 PM   #18

Colorado
I will keep a lot closer eye on mine from now on.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:27 PM   #19

Florida
Your tracking number assigned by NHTSA for this issue is 11024164. Please keep this number for your records and for future reference. Once your complaint has been processed, you will be able to view it online and find any related documents. Please allow two business days for NHTSA to review your complaint.

and

Your tracking number assigned by NHTSA for this issue is 11019291. Please keep this number for your records and for future reference. Once your complaint has been processed, you will be able to view it online and find any related documents. Please allow two business days for NHTSA to review your complaint.

After I filed these two complaints, I encouraged folks on this site to do the same when they had tire issues. Why do you think we call them CHINA BOMBS? Do you think it's just an isolated incident that these tires earned the name? Do me a favor, google CHINA BOMB TIRES and see what you come up with.

http://www.rvtiresafety.net/2014/04/...r-pothole.html

there are hundreds of complaints. SOME folks have had good luck with them, but these are not the norm.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:31 PM   #20

Florida
I am also wondering, the MAX tire pressure is 65 pounds for the "normal" load range ST tire with the load range D. Since tires heat up while running and the pressure goes UP. Should you inflate to 60?