Tires - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2018, 03:45 PM   #21
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
I am also wondering, the MAX tire pressure is 65 pounds for the "normal" load range ST tire with the load range D. Since tires heat up while running and the pressure goes UP. Should you inflate to 60?
Nope, "supposedly" the tires are designed to take the increase in temperature as they heat up. Cold inflation numbers are what you should use.

A few things come to mind with the China Bombs... First; the manufacturers are cutting it way to close, they don't give you any leeway on the capacity. Two; tires lose capacity as they age. You have brand new tires loaded to 95% of capacity they will be loaded to over capacity a couple of years down the road and you didn't change anything.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:46 PM   #22

Ohio
Quote:
I am also wondering, the MAX tire pressure is 65 pounds for the "normal" load range ST tire with the load range D. Since tires heat up while running and the pressure goes UP. Should you inflate to 60?

YES inflate to 65psi for LR-D (80 for LR-E) when the tires are at ambient temperature (not driven on or in direct sunlight for previous two hours)

Tires, even those made in China do not "expload" due to the increase in pressure of 10 to 15 psi. If you have a sidewall failure it is probably becaues the sidewalwas being over flexed due to excess load and low inflation. Yes you may think it exploded because you were surprised but you need to learn more about tire failures. You can learn more about the two primary reasons for tires to fail (Belt Separation and Run Low Sidewall felx failure) by reading my blog. You can start with this post.

Others on "China Bomb or Pot Hole" or "How good are Chinese tires".
The index (on the left side of blog) currently identified 40 mentions of "Blowout", 5 on "Hot Tire Pressure" and 8 on "Sidewall failure".

Retired Tire Design Engineer (40 years). I write a blog on RV tire applications www.RVTireSafety.NET and give seminars on RV tire application across the US. Serve on Technical Advisory Panel for FMCA. I am scheduled to give seminars on Genealogy and RV Tire Safety in March at FMCA in Tuscon AZ on 25 & 26.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:44 PM   #23

Florida
you need to learn more about why these tires keep failing. maybe you should do some investigation yourself. I check my tires and am very aware of the issues and anything else that affect them. people are complaining about the inferior tires placed on these vehicles. I have looked at several rv manufacturers, the good ones put decent tires on their vehicle. Why? I know some "american" brands are actually made in china as their country of origin. These tires are placed on the vehicle and approved by the manufacturer. I can see I'm not getting anywhere with this stuff. I checked the weight, my RV weighs in at over 8k for the rear axles. That is more weight than their load range D tires should be able to take. IT COMES THAT WAY FROM THE FACTORY. They know the vehicle weighs that much dry. I took photos of the damaged tires, I wish you would have been on the forum then so I could have sent them to you.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 04:57 PM   #24

Ohio
Quote:
you need to learn more about why these tires keep failing. maybe you should do some investigation yourself. I check my tires and am very aware of the issues and anything else that affect them. people are complaining about the inferior tires placed on these vehicles. I have looked at several rv manufacturers, the good ones put decent tires on their vehicle. Why? I know some "american" brands are actually made in china as their country of origin. These tires are placed on the vehicle and approved by the manufacturer. I can see I'm not getting anywhere with this stuff. I checked the weight, my RV weighs in at over 8k for the rear axles. That is more weight than their load range D tires should be able to take. IT COMES THAT WAY FROM THE FACTORY. They know the vehicle weighs that much dry. I took photos of the damaged tires, I wish you would have been on the forum then so I could have sent them to you.

If your GAWY exceeds the load capacity of the tires provided by the RV MFG that would be a violation of Federal DOT Regulations. IN the past this resulted is a free replacement of the tires. File a complaint with NHTSA. Have a picture of the certification lableond of the tire load capacity on the tires.
Retired Tire Design Engineer (40 years). I write a blog on RV tire applications www.RVTireSafety.NET and give seminars on RV tire application across the US. Serve on Technical Advisory Panel for FMCA. I am scheduled to give seminars on Genealogy and RV Tire Safety in March at FMCA in Tuscon AZ on 25 & 26.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:35 PM   #25

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
If your GAWY exceeds the load capacity of the tires provided by the RV MFG that would be a violation of Federal DOT Regulations. IN the past this resulted is a free replacement of the tires. File a complaint with NHTSA. Have a picture of the certification lableond of the tire load capacity on the tires.
do you own an RV? Did you change the tires?
Old 08-27-2018, 08:12 PM   #26

Ohio
Quote:
do you own an RV? Did you change the tires?

Yes I own an RV
Current 2016 Class-C w/ OE LT LR-E tires
Previous 2008 Class-C w/OE LT tires LR-E tires
previous (1984 - 1997) a couple of 1 ton dually C3500 w/ slide in camper pulling 26' enclosed race car hauler w/Camaro, tools etc inside. I owned and drove semi-pro Road Courses. Lime Rock to Riverside. Daytona to Watkins Glen and half dozen other road courses. Set lap records at 6 tracks and did tire evaluation on and off the track.

Race car trailer came with bias ST tires that I changed to LR-E LT radials.

Any other questions?

Any more questions.
Old 08-27-2018, 08:15 PM   #27

Florida
glad to hear u changed ur tires...
Old 08-28-2018, 02:18 AM   #28

Ontario
Quote:
my RV weighs in at over 8k for the rear axles. That is more weight than their load range D tires should be able to take. IT COMES THAT WAY FROM THE FACTORY.
I thought your RV was a tri-axle?? and that the tires are LRE??
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:44 AM   #29

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
YES inflate to 65psi for LR-D (80 for LR-E) when the tires are at ambient temperature (not driven on or in direct sunlight for previous two hours)

Tires, even those made in China do not "expload" due to the increase in pressure of 10 to 15 psi. If you have a sidewall failure it is probably becaues the sidewalwas being over flexed due to excess load and low inflation. Yes you may think it exploded because you were surprised but you need to learn more about tire failures. You can learn more about the two primary reasons for tires to fail (Belt Separation and Run Low Sidewall felx failure) by reading my blog. You can start with this post.

Others on "China Bomb or Pot Hole" or "How good are Chinese tires".
The index (on the left side of blog) currently identified 40 mentions of "Blowout", 5 on "Hot Tire Pressure" and 8 on "Sidewall failure".
Yeah, Chinese tires blow up because of poor quality; they're complete junk. Kinda like the poor quality trailers they're installed on. Many times we have trailers show up at the dealer where I work with the spare tire installed because the Chinese tire couldn't endure the trip from Indiana to Tucson.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 09:13 AM   #30

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebedford View Post
I thought your RV was a tri-axle?? and that the tires are LRE??
no 2 axles,