TIre Pressure Monitoring System - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2014, 11:23 PM   #1

Colorado
TIre Pressure Monitoring System

Was going to post this on the tire thread but thought I would leave that alone for all the tire talk. Was wondering if anyone is using any of the TPMS out there. Ones that monitors pressure and temperature. Saw a few that had rapid loss of pressure alarms as well.

Just curious, are you using them?
Which ones are you using?
Are they worth the money and working as designed?
Are you needing any signal boosters?

Thank you in advance for your inut. Tom

2011 Ford F-350 Dually
2014 Voltage 3950
Hazerdous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:49 PM   #2

Virginia
I have the TST 507 I have the non flow thru stem caps. I mounted a repeater in the generator bay. No loss of signal. I have not had any personal experiences to warrant one. My decision was based on all what I had read. It does monitor temp and pressure. That said it is off by 5 lbs. all six. Either that or two tire gauges are off the other way I just adjusted alarms to compensate. I am happy I bought it and hope it never has to prove itself.

Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:28 AM   #3

Oklahoma
I have the same one, TST507. I put it on all 12 tires, and after our trip to Colorado, it was great to see it working like it should. I was amazed to see how high the pressures went up as the tires warmed up. I did check the temps against an infared temp gauge, and it does read lower than the actual tire temp.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:04 AM   #4

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by macman83 View Post
I did check the temps against an infared temp gauge, and it does read lower than the actual tire temp.
I use a monitoring system as well. I notice the temps as you stated. The infrared is measuring surface temp which will be higher. The monitor is measuring inside temp I would think? I have a difference of about 3lbs on monitor compared to tire pressure guage. I'm happy with the unit so far.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:07 AM   #5

Texas
I use a Tire Minder system mostly because you probably won't hear a blowout and i want to hopefully avoid the damage i have seen from running on blowouts. There are several trailers at my storage lot with side damage from blowouts. Likely since it is often not obvious and you run for a while and beat up thhe sides and underside. I did have to mount the repeater but it fits nicely in the front compartment and 12v is easily available. http://www.minderresearch.com/ is the one I have used.
With the experience I have heard about Voltages and tires I think it's probably worth the expense. Temp is of course valve stem temp but gives an idea of what's going on with each tire.
Burl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:10 AM   #6

California
I also have the TST 507 system on our trailer. Since I couldn't convince my wife to spend the money to replace the OEM tires, "they're brand new, you know," I use this to continuously monitor them. I found that the tires on the rear axle were out of range, so I also mounted a repeater in the generator bay. When we're driving down the road I can actually tell which side of the trailer the sun is shining on based on the slightly higher temps and pressures in the tires on that side. To us it was worth the money for the peace of mind, and we'd probably have bought the system even if we'd upgraded the tires.
Heavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:44 AM   #7

Washington
Tpms

I also use the TST with 507 monitor and wouldn't tow without it after using it. I use the repeater now, but didn't install it right away. It would sometimes take up to 20 minutes till all the trailer sensors would display, now it works quickly.

It did take some convincing for my wife to understand how important this expense was, and it was a big one, but she saw the light. I found it cheapest actually straight from TST, and I have 12 of the flow thru sensors that mount on the valve stems. The weight they add is negligible for balancing, and with the brass stems they aren't going anywhere. I was at first concerned with that, but after thousands of miles of use, no issues.

They are super acurate, and worth their weight in gold for peace of mind while traveling. Started using them last year when I got the new trailer and they finally truly helped last week when the valve stems started leaking. The alrm went off and it was great knowing it wasn't a blowout or major issue but a slow leak, and I could wait for a nice safe place to pull off the road.

I have so many because I wanted to use them on the spares as well as all 3 RV axles and all tires on the truck. When I tow my flat bed I move 4 from the RV an put them on, they are that important as well as easy to move. The only downside I have found is when you have to add air thru them, they restrict the flow substantially, and if you need to add more than 10 psi it's quicker to take them off. The mounting kit that comes with it works great, I use the windshield suction cup mount, and have it wired in, and it's easy to program.

Hope this helps, I would recommend them to anyone that tows, whichever brand you choose, just us one.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:55 PM   #8

Texas
I've had a HawksHead TALON or TALON X-TREME TPMS system on my 2014 F-3508ft bed, 2013 Dutchmen Rubicon 2900 for about 4k miles. Works as advertised, psi and temps. Not running any signal boosters. Have not had any trouble with the system. Talon reads 2-3psi different then my pressure gage but then I've seem where most of the off the shelf stuff is going to read a little different. We were also surprised at how much the Sun can heat up the tires on one side of the trailer. Also fairly easy to see when the trailer is not loaded evenly. System has worked as advertised. Only complaint I could have is the system was listed as an RV or Trailer TPMS system but the last 3 axles are all tied together as far as low/high psi and temp settings go and it has 3 axles on the tow vehicle. I use the last tow vehicle axle is front trailer and 1st trailer axle is 2nd trailer. This wouldn't work on a 3 axle trailer or 5th wheel because your not able to set the psi temp ratings separate on the 3 trailer axles. Works, glad it's watching pressures for me. Using with Cap sensors. I called Talon and ask they why the 3 back axles were not separate setting and was told "That's the way it is"
seventhfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:54 PM   #9

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burl View Post
I use a Tire Minder system mostly because you probably won't hear a blowout and i want to hopefully avoid the damage i have seen from running on blowouts. There are several trailers at my storage lot with side damage from blowouts. Likely since it is often not obvious and you run for a while and beat up the sides and underside.
Trust me with every tire I have lost you hear it. The only one I didn't hear was the first one that failed on me. It just pealed the tread off & was running on the steel cords.
I had tire that failed that took out my Mor/ryde on one axle. Had one that did over $4,000 worth of damage to the slide & floor. I filled for insurance to covered that one. As I said you will here it when it blows & look in your mirrors & see stuff flying. Some stuff is tires other times it might be parts of you trailer.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:01 AM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Trust me with every tire I have lost you hear it. The only one I didn't hear was the first one that failed on me. It just pealed the tread off & was running on the steel cords.
I had tire that failed that took out my Mor/ryde on one axle. Had one that did over $4,000 worth of damage to the slide & floor. I filled for insurance to covered that one. As I said you will here it when it blows & look in your mirrors & see stuff flying. Some stuff is tires other times it might be parts of you trailer.
I'll say you'll hear it. Last Aug we were headed east on I95, we had stopped for fuel and a dog comfort break. Guy goes flying by just as he blew both right side tires a split second apart, It sounded like 2 cannons going off and the guy heard it all right, he heard the first one and was on the brakes big time.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:10 PM   #11

Arizona
For those of you with a TPMS, do you have ST or LT tires?
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #12

Texas
I'm using ST tires. Personally am not convinced running LT tires is a good idea. I tend to put those what I call possible myths in the same place I put the idea that any tire made out of the US is a bad tire. When I swapped tires this time around it was the first time I've seen a ST tire off the rim. When comparing sidewall design the ST's are much more flexible then the LT's when it comes to side wall construction. I'm not a tire engineer by any means but I suspect that someone pretty smart about tire design decided long ago that due to the scrubbing forces on the ST tires they have specially designed sidewalls to deal with that force. Just my humble opinion.
seventhfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:29 PM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventhfire View Post
I'm using ST tires. Personally am not convinced running LT tires is a good idea. I tend to put those what I call possible myths in the same place I put the idea that any tire made out of the US is a bad tire. When I swapped tires this time around it was the first time I've seen a ST tire off the rim. When comparing sidewall design the ST's are much more flexible then the LT's when it comes to side wall construction. I'm not a tire engineer by any means but I suspect that someone pretty smart about tire design decided long ago that due to the scrubbing forces on the ST tires they have specially designed sidewalls to deal with that force. Just my humble opinion.
Have you compared the sidewalls on different brands of ST tires? You will find that the sidewall stiffness will very by manufacture. My STs have a sidewall that will rival about any LT out there. When given the choice between tires I will always pick the one with the stiffer sidewall.

I have a different opinion on tire squirm, a softer sidewall means they will will be continually squirming as your running on the interstate at 60, 65 or ?. That squirming means heat build up and high tire temps a not a good thing. That's why some people will swear LTs are the only way to go.

The debate will go on for ever or ST and LT, I know what works for me and I will continue to run the ST tires I am using now. I am not going to change the minds of the LT guys and they won't change my mind.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:35 AM   #14

Colorado
Thank you all that weighed in. I believe a TPMS is on my next purchase before next season.

2011 Ford F-350 Dually
2014 Voltage 3950
Hazerdous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:37 AM   #15

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazerdous View Post
Thank you all that weighed in. I believe a TPMS is on my next purchase before next season.
I think the addition of a TPMS will give you some peace of mind by letting you know what is going on with the tires. Over time you will know what is normal and what could be a cause for concern.

I just wish these units were easier to program and the instruction manuals were more clearly written. They could do a better job of explaining what the buttons are supposed to do. Instead they tell you something like "hold the set button for 5 seconds to enter the unit ID mode and blah blah blah". Come on folks, this is the 21st century, surely we can do better. Can't programming these units be more intuitive?
Old 12-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #16

British Columbia
Does anybody that has an aftermaket TPMS have one that has a video out that allows it to be displayed on you AV deck.

I just got the top of thedash cleaned off so all of the portable devices are handled by the in dash unit.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:07 PM   #17

California
My tire pressure system is called "mike", when we stop very two hours (old folks). I check all the tires visually and feel the tires and bearings. Plus at the beginning of each year trailer goes to tire store for checking and bearing pack. Overkill but Have not had any problems. And change the tire about 5-6 years max.

And we are not overloaded.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:30 PM   #18

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by chily3 View Post
My tire pressure system is called "mike", when we stop very two hours (old folks). I check all the tires visually and feel the tires and bearings. Plus at the beginning of each year trailer goes to tire store for checking and bearing pack. Overkill but Have not had any problems. And change the tire about 5-6 years max.

Not overkill, just good tire management, I've been using the same system but mine is the " jim" model. It's worked well forever and I'm not convincied that a TPMS would add anything to the process.

A TPMS is not going to find the cuts, bruises and bulges that can cause a blowout.

I just stumbled across a TPMS that is displayed on the in dash display and wondered if they work as advertised. If I ever decided I was going to add one it would have to display on the in dash video.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #19
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by chily3 View Post

But does "mike" have the ability to monitor tire pressures at highway speeds? FWIW I physically check my tires at every stop too. But having had a tire start to go down shortly after starting back out from a rest stop and having the TPMS alert me to the fact, saved me from a blow out. As soon as it alerted I got off at the next exit. We had picked up a screw somewhere between the rest area and the first mile after it. The TPMS paid for itself right then and there.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:49 PM   #20

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
But does "mike" have the ability to monitor tire pressures at highway speeds? FWIW I
Aaron
No do not, and a very good point, unless I can find a system that would be readable all the time and also have a low pressure alarm, then have to rely on my "seat of the pants" and mirrors.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote