Tire Help - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2014, 01:28 AM   #21

Wyoming
As you can see in my signature, I've got a Voltage 3200. It came equipped with wheels that were rated for the higher pressure. Since they are not mentioned on any of the EPIC Package flyers & info that I've seen... I can only assume that they were/are standard equipment on Voltage rigs. You should have your tire professional check to make sure.

No issues at all on tire/fender clearance.

Oh, and one other thing... make sure you get new valve stems that can handle the extra pressures also.

And... though no one has asked, I figured I'd post the following info here as well:

When I installed these tires, I also invested in a TPMS made by TST... specifically, the 507 system with sensors for both the truck tires & the RV tires (Ford does not include an OEM TPMS in their dually trucks)

507 Starter System Kit |

It's a simple plug-n-play system, with sensors that simply screw on to your valve stems... and and in-truck monitor that plugs into any common cigarette lighter type outlet. The monitor displays constant real-time tire pressures & temperatures for each tire. You can set your own minimum & maximum pressure ranges... and in the event a tire exceeds the parameters, it send out an alarm, and flashes the info for the offending tire.

It's a great peace of mind system to have, and the beauty of it is... it's portable, so if you trade your rig or your tow vehicle... simply remove the sensors, and put them on your new vehicle's tires.

The YouTube video on the link shows how easy the system works.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:13 AM   #22

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
As you can see in my signature, I've got a Voltage 3200. It came equipped with wheels that were rated for the higher pressure. Since they are not mentioned on any of the EPIC Package flyers & info that I've seen... I can only assume that they were/are standard equipment on Voltage rigs. You should have your tire professional check to make sure.

No issues at all on tire/fender clearance.

Oh, and one other thing... make sure you get new valve stems that can handle the extra pressures also.

And... though no one has asked, I figured I'd post the following info here as well:

When I installed these tires, I also invested in a TPMS made by TST... specifically, the 507 system with sensors for both the truck tires & the RV tires (Ford does not include an OEM TPMS in their dually trucks)

507 Starter System Kit |

It's a simple plug-n-play system, with sensors that simply screw on to your valve stems... and and in-truck monitor that plugs into any common cigarette lighter type outlet. The monitor displays constant real-time tire pressures & temperatures for each tire. You can set your own minimum & maximum pressure ranges... and in the event a tire exceeds the parameters, it send out an alarm, and flashes the info for the offending tire.

It's a great peace of mind system to have, and the beauty of it is... it's portable, so if you trade your rig or your tow vehicle... simply remove the sensors, and put them on your new vehicle's tires.

The YouTube video on the link shows how easy the system works.
Sir,

Thanks for your wisdom on this matter. While I have not done my due diligence in weighing the trailer (mainly because it would not be a valid weight yet), my "pre-flight/post-flight" procedures have saved me. While I am spending extra money on ST tires, this will give me time to do my research and do this right... I will find out Sunday the weight (or pressure" rating on the wheels.

We're the numbers stamped on yours or was there a sticker? I had a Fleetwood TH that had a sticker inside, very suspect at best.

Thanks for the info on the TPM system. It was ordered with the intention of having it on by our Christmas trip. I will be putting my spare tire on in place of the bubbled one later this week. The tire shop seems to think a curb checked the tires....which I did, they scrubbed through a long radius turn....my bad, I know to watch closely now...

Cale

calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:47 AM   #23

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
Was that a Westlake that bulged???

My Westlakes have served me well but before next season I'm going to go with Sailun S 637 tires from Big O Tire to get into a 14 ply G rated tire. Yes I know these are made in China, but like the Maxxis they get good reviews and the price is right.
That Sailun G rated tire is an awesome tire. I will be buying my second set very soon.
STTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:45 AM   #24

Virginia
Cale,

I would love to know what you find out about the max PSI of the wheel. This will make a big difference in what I end up doing.

Phil
2014 Voltage 3950 Epic III
2016 Ram 3500 Diesel 4wd, Long Horn Dually long bed
Moto4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:39 PM   #25

Wyoming
In re the wheels:

This topic was discussed a lot in a previous thread last year. I'll simply do a couple of cut & pastes from it to get to the 'meat':

These are the wheels that are on my rig:

On the back of the spokes it says this.

Made in China on one spoke, 3960 LBS MAX on the next, 110 P.S.I. DOT-T, 16X6J on the next, Made in China on the next, and then it must repeat but I could not see any farther around without pulling the wheel. If you crawl under your trailer you can see it for yourself. Take a flashlight.

If you'd like to go through the entire thread which contains 186 posts... and discusses tires, wheels, etc... it can be found here:

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...ires-1459.html
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #26

Maryland
ATC,

Thanks. Funny you sent that thread info. I happened across it this morning (insomnia I guess). I am going to head down to the tire store this morning to see if I can switch for the Sailun S637 tires. I had to put half down for the Maxxis since they had to get them from another distributor, hopefully I won't take a hit. I will report back later this morning, with some good news I hope.

Cale
Old 11-26-2014, 05:10 PM   #27

Maryland
Great news....The tire shop modified my order, I just have to pay the return shipping. I am replacing seven tires (the spare), with upgraded valve stems, mounted and balanced, $1400 out the door for the Sailun S637 235/85R16 tires.

Thanks for the help guys. They will be put on Sunday.

Cale