Television reception - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2017, 02:12 AM   #1

Texas
Television reception

Our living room television seems to be having interference when we are using our tailgater. Anyone have any ideas about what might be causing this?

Harley Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:52 AM   #2

Wyoming
Not sure how you have your tv inputs plumbed... but just a thought off the top of my head: make sure you have the over-the-air antenna amplifier turned off, and see if that helps.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:06 PM   #3

Most of the connections made by the factory used extremely cheap components and crappy connections. They look like a drunk attached the connectors. Its probably the connectors at the end of all the cables need changing out and the splitters were also a cheap variety.. change them out also..
Im just guessing here because i have no idea what you mean when you say you use your tailgater.. but most TV problems seen here are the connectors
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:49 PM   #4

Texas
I'm pretty sure that we make sure the booster is turned off. A tailgater is the satellite "dish" that we use for Dish Network. We had to have someone do some wiring before we could even get the satellite system to work. Sometimes there are interference lines and sometimes there aren't. The other three televisions don't have the lines at all--just the living room tv which is the one closest to the receiver.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:06 PM   #5

ok Harley... I understand now.. I have the same set up only I use Direct TV. If your getting signal to the TV my guess is bad connections although they may look good. Herring bone lines or interference is usually indicative of bad connections. I recommend the good compression fittings used by most cable companies.
I had all kinds of interference and it was the connectors and splitters. If u are only getting it on one tv look for something that connects to that tv.. If your using HDMI try a different hdmi. If your using Standard definition it must be a connection.
One thing else.. try removing the booster and the jumper next to it and insure the connections are tight and good.. That is the signal pass thru to the tv's.
Let us know how u come out with it.
good luck its aggravating
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:39 PM   #6

Arkansas
I also struggled with the Dish Network Tailgator and finally went back to my regular fixed Dish 500 on a tripod. When I contacted Dish about the reception issues I was having they explained that the Tailgator draws its power from the main receiver through the coax to operate the dish receiver inside the Tailgator. According to Dish, this requires the use of the coax provided with the Tailgator, and is limited to the 50' length and type of the coax provided. Even this is not a guarantee, as Dish further explained that the "internal mini rotating dish" of the Tailgator is not nearly as a good at receiving signals as a fixed dish. Also as others have posted, the cable connectors used in the coach may need to be improved upon. I was having some intermittent reception issues using my fixed dish and had a Dish installation contractor check all the connections and added a signal amplifier and now my reception is great! Unfortunately, I had this work done after giving up on the Tailgator, so I'm not sure if that would have helped the reception issues I was having with the tailgator - but I can tell you that even before I had the work done my fixed dish worked far better and more consistently than my Tailgator. Perhaps checking all connectors as others have suggested will resolve your reception issues.
2002 Goldwing Trike
SuperDuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #7

Texas
Hopefully fixed.

This last weekend we think that we figured out the problem with the tv reception. The coax was crossing something behind the television, possibly the power line, and that was causing interference. We hope that it's all fixed now.