Tank Help and Instruction - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2014, 02:11 PM   #1

Colorado
Tank Help and Instruction

Okay, I need some help. We are out and about on first weekend with the new (to me) rig. 2012 3950. It has two black waste outlets and one white one (smaller diameter) that looks like it flushes straight down. All three have the knife-like valves. I purchased a set of waste flexible hoses two from the two black waste outlets into a y-adapter that sits on the city sewer hookup. I have the caterpillar braces so I have a downhill slope to city sewer.

The Dutchman manual is useless. Read it basically front to back.

I assume the white smaller diameter pipe is the freshwater drain valve. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The front tank is black wagger - correct?
The back one is gray water - correct?

I understand that the black water valve should be kept shut and you need to monitor the tank volume and drain in one fell swoop when it is nearly full or at the end of the trip. Then for travel and storage, you add a few gallons of water and some enzyme and odor control to agitate and keep the tank fresh.

Gray water is always open when you are hooked up.

I have a slight up hill in the hose as it hooks into the city sewer connection.

So I have opened both the gray water and black water tanks up by pulling the handle all the way out.

My black water tank indicator lights are 2/3 full and gray water tank is Full. Shower is backed up. Nothing appears to be draining out of the sewer hoses. I have a clear elbow on the connection to the RV with a hose flush connection so I can see flow. The rear tank does seem to be accumulating some water in the line and I can "feed the snake" clean it out in to the city water but I cannot detect a pattern.

If someone is willing to help and walk me through things I am at 2 1 4 Seven Seven One 6 1 3 3 if someone has a few minutes to talk me through operations.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

I will take some more time and relate my dealer experience in another thread as well as my impression of the coach when i get a chance.

Please help me out and correct any errors in my assumptions on setup and operations above.

MisterScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #2

Tennessee
I dont have your unit. But would ask are they cable valves? It sounds like their not opening! I could see maybe one valve bad but not all. Did they work before? During PDI?

Old 07-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #3

Colorado
All, I found a very nice Voltage 3900 series owner here at the campground we are at. New owner as well. He help me through all the tank issues and instructions and I helped him through a few things as well. Got it all straightened out I think. I did not have the handles pulled in the control box on the side of the unit. I had the ones pulled underneath. I guess my only question is what is the difference between the two handles in the control box on the side of the unit and the ones underneath by the two tank outlets?
Old 07-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #4

California
I was trying to send you a YouTube link HOW TO: Dump & Clean an RV Black Tank, you fixed the issue AND YOU MADE ME WATCH THAT GROSE VIDEO....EEEEEUUUUUUUU!!!!
Glad you got the issue fixed.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #5

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterScott View Post
All, I found a very nice Voltage 3900 series owner here at the campground we are at. New owner as well. He help me through all the tank issues and instructions and I helped him through a few things as well. Got it all straightened out I think. I did not have the handles pulled in the control box on the side of the unit. I had the ones pulled underneath. I guess my only question is what is the difference between the two handles in the control box on the side of the unit and the ones underneath by the two tank outlets?
On mine the two inside the compartment are the toilet black tank, the other shower gray tank. The one under the frame near axels are kitchen tank #2 gray tank. Since I dont have a rear lab not sure what the other valve is for other than the rear toilet #2 black tank. Glad you found some help. Learn as much as you can from them while your there. Good luck enjoy.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #6

Colorado
As a 3950 owner I can help you out here.

The front black drain is for the forward black tank, front bath (Shower & sink) gray tank, and both valves are inside your hookup control center. Behind the door where you connect your fresh water.

Near the forward dump you will find another T-handle this is to drain the galley gray water.

The rear dump and T-handle is for the rear bathroom, both the black and gray dump into the same black tank and drained from the T-handle near the rear dump.

As for dumping procedure, I never stay long enough anywhere to fill my gray tanks so I generally leave all tank valves closed.

I first dump both black tanks (One at a time, even with a Wye), then I dump the front bath gray to flush the lines.

While I'm flushing out the lines with the front bath, I hook up the sani-flush to the front and fill the black tank. Be sure to monitor on your inside control panel (I fill to around 3/4) If you forget to monitor it will fill your black tank and come out of the toilet.

After the front bath gray is done the black is usually 3/4 full so I then drain the black a second time.

Next I drain the galley gray to again flush out my forward lines while filling my rear black tank 3/4 with the rear sani-flush.

Last step is to redrain the rear black tank and pack up.
Grimtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #7

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtas View Post
As a 3950 owner I can help you out here.

The front black drain is for the forward black tank, front bath (Shower & sink) gray tank, and both valves are inside your hookup control center. Behind the door where you connect your fresh water.

Near the forward dump you will find another T-handle this is to drain the galley gray water.

The rear dump and T-handle is for the rear bathroom, both the black and gray dump into the same black tank and drained from the T-handle near the rear dump.

As for dumping procedure, I never stay long enough anywhere to fill my gray tanks so I generally leave all tank valves closed.

I first dump both black tanks (One at a time, even with a Wye), then I dump the front bath gray to flush the lines.

While I'm flushing out the lines with the front bath, I hook up the sani-flush to the front and fill the black tank. Be sure to monitor on your inside control panel (I fill to around 3/4) If you forget to monitor it will fill your black tank and come out of the toilet.

After the front bath gray is done the black is usually 3/4 full so I then drain the black a second time.

Next I drain the galley gray to again flush out my forward lines while filling my rear black tank 3/4 with the rear sani-flush.

Last step is to redrain the rear black tank and pack up.
Incredibly helpful. Thank you very much.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #8

Colorado
I forgot to add that you are correct the vertical white pipe and T-handle is your fresh water tank main drain.

If you look under the coach you will also find a red and white pipe 1/2" I believe with black caps on them. These are your low point drains for winterizing.
Grimtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:20 AM   #9

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtas View Post
I forgot to add that you are correct the vertical white pipe and T-handle is your fresh water tank main drain.

If you look under the coach you will also find a red and white pipe 1/2" I believe with black caps on them. These are your low point drains for winterizing.
Again, thanks.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:59 PM   #10

Colorado
2nd Grey Water Tank

i guess I was checking to see how to drain my 2nd grey water tank. i pulled the knife valve at the bottom, grey water came out but the panel is still reading full for the 2nd tank. Also there is a 2nd black pipe under the rv, it looks alot like the pipe used to drain the black and grey water, but there is no valve on it. it has a dust cap on it also. Any ideas? i have a 2012 Dutchmen Denali 5th Wheel.
Rod Coulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 02:45 AM   #11

Colorado
MisterScott,

As you may already be having some fun with valves that don't fully close...do yourself a favor and go on Amazon and order two of the Valterra "Twist On" valves:

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...on+waste+valve

Now you'll have a "safety valve" on both of the drain hose connections to assure that you don't get a lap full of you know what.

I've done a very good post you can look up on installing Valterra electric valves. The best project I've done on our 2014 Voltage Epic III 3800...bar none!!!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 04:18 PM   #12

Colorado
With regard to the tank level monitoring readouts, all of mine almost always show that there is still some fluid in each tank immediately after dumping, but after a short time in the case of the fresh water tank and after a few hours or as much as a day in the case of the black and grey water tanks, all readouts drop to "empty". I think the monitoring systems measure electrical resistance across probes in the tanks, and it takes a little time, especially for the black and grey tanks to get dry enough for the probes to show no fluid in the tanks.
2002 Suzuki DRZ400E
Dirt1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:37 PM   #13

Nevada
Mister Scott, one last thing, if you place a washer/Dryer in the back, it will empty into the Kitchen tank on some, or the rear Black tank on others...

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote