Surge Protectors - Worth it? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #1

Maryland
Surge Protectors - Worth it?

First, Can anyone confirm that the Voltage series toy haulers do not come with factory installed surge protectors?

Second, what's your opinion on their necessity? They are somewhat pricey. Are they worth the investment?

Thanks for any feedback....

CDMEY3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:14 PM   #2

British Columbia
Yes, some sort of surge, hi/low voltage and wiring error protection is needed if you don't want to be replacing electronics.

I have see some pretty poor wiring in CGs and knowing before hand has saved the electronics.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #3

Washington
Think of all the things in your coach that have computer chips. Slides, levelers, refrigerator, TV's, sound system, microwave, etc. Now think of a surge or power spike knocking them all out. Doesn't sound as expensive after all that. I've got one and if nothing else it's peace of mind.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:34 PM   #4

Virginia
I have one. This year alone two power outages in the campground. Feels good not to worry about the power turned on and off. I think it's money well spent.
Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:21 AM   #5

Indiana
I've been camping for over 35 years. I've never owned a surge protector. Honestly, I probably never will. If your looking for insurance or piece of mind then I'd invest in one.

Best of luck in your decision.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:22 AM   #6

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMEY3600 View Post
First, Can anyone confirm that the Voltage series toy haulers do not come with factory installed surge protectors?

Second, what's your opinion on their necessity? They are somewhat pricey. Are they worth the investment?

Thanks for any feedback....
I don't believe any of the Voltages have surge protectors built in from the factory unless you custom ordered it that way. But yes, get one. They are pricey but not as pricey as replacing electrical components in your rig. Which I am sure will not be covered under warranty for electrical surge damage. I just plug mine into the shore power and lock it to the post. Pretty easy and gives me great peace of mind.

2011 Ford F-350 Dually
2014 Voltage 3950
Hazerdous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:17 AM   #7

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post
I've been camping for over 35 years. I've never owned a surge protector. Honestly, I probably never will. If your looking for insurance or piece of mind then I'd invest in one.

Ohhh, that's just tempting fate. 35 years ago things didn't run on computer chips.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:34 AM   #8

Tennessee
About 10 years ago or so I was a victim of a power surge at a drag race campground in Kentucky. It took out several appliances and cost me some money. I'll never go without one again. IMHO... they're worth every penny!
Old 08-30-2014, 03:09 AM   #9

Colorado
Yes, yes indeed they are worth it. In July we were in Amarillo, TX in a thunderstorm the likes of which I am not sure I have ever seen before. Four time, let me repeat, FOUR times that night our surge protector cut the power as result of nearby lightening strikes. The next morning we heard from several other campers of issues they were having as a result of that storm. We were fine. That one night makes the cost worth it as far as I am concerned.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:40 PM   #10

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinityrver View Post

Same here if you count RVing with my folks I've been doing it for 50+ years. I've never had one. Dad never had one either. Don't think they were around back in the 60's when he bought the 16' Terry TT.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:42 PM   #11

Tennessee
Hidden Danger Lurks for RV Owners | Decisive Magazine

they're are many many more campgrounds than there was lets say, 30 years ago. Some poorly maintained especially at the shore power pedestal and main panels not to mention the obvious possibilities mother nature can dish out.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:11 AM   #12

Missouri
I would say in this day and age, its a must... You can find some 50 AMP surge protectors from $100 with no bells and whistles, but provides the needed protection. My trailer has a remote control/touch screen system for the lights and slides. This system operates all the relays that open and closes the slide outs. If that got damaged, my trip would be ruined. Why take a chance when you can protect your self for a small amount a cash. Just keep in mind, that almost everything has electronics on it including water heater, furnace and a/c.

With that said, I guess the real answer is, no its not needed, but there is a risk of not having it, and for me, the risk didn't out way the cost of a surge suppressor...

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:16 AM   #13

Maryland
Thanks for all the replies. I'm convinced that having surge protection is a worthy investment and good insurance . Ordered the Progressive 50 amp device today.
CDMEY3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 04:17 AM   #14

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMEY3600 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I'm convinced that having surge protection is a worthy investment and good insurance . Ordered the Progressive 50 amp device today.
A progressive unit is a good choice. Thats what I use, they have great customer service and back their products.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #15

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Same here if you count RVing with my folks I've been doing it for 50+ years. I've never had one. Dad never had one either. Don't think they were around back in the 60's when he bought the 16' Terry TT.
Well we just got a voltage 3905 and the very first trip out we got a power surge and it tripped out the board to all the ac units as well as the microwave . We called service for help and they told us how to reset it but it didn't work . Luckily it reset after about a 2 hr wait with no power on in 95 deg weather. They told me to get a power surge protector and all would be good . So I did and never had any trouble the rest of the summer !!! Well worth it
Besides happy wife happy life!!!
Toolmaker89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:35 AM   #16

Michigan
A power drop (aka: brown out) can, in my opinion, be just as deadly to your electrical equipment, ALL OF IT. One cold night In Texas last year every one must have been using their electric heaters. My progressive "energy management system EMS for short" tripped about nine itme. Each time was from low voltage. Several days after this several folks had to replace their televisions and a few some other equipment. As for me, no problems. When the power dropped off to a dangerous level the EMS tripped and reset it self two minutes later. No one else had the EMS but they do now.

GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reverse polarity, surge protection