Stinky water!!! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2014, 05:11 PM   #1

Idaho
Stinky water!!!

When we are done camping, I open the main dump valve to remove remaining water before beginning the return trip to home. I'd think that most remaining water would be voided by the time we get home, but that doesn't seem to be occurring. By the time we are ready to head out again, I find very stinky (sulfur smell) water in the system. I have to partially fill the system and dump that...usually do that a couple of times, and then do a larger partial fill and put in a cup of so of chlorine and add some more water to ensure a good mix...then run this through all water lines. I leave this in place for several hours to ensure good contact and then do another flush and partial fill and flush which seems to then eliminate the problem for the time being. But, having to do this every time we use the unit is a PITA. Never had this problem with other campers. Does anyone have a solution they can suggest? We fill with well water which is actually the best water we've ever had, as far as taste goes (i.e., does not have any sulfur smell to begin with). I assume that there is an anaerobic bacterial bloom occurring in the water tanks when the unit sits...so, is there a way to remove ALL the water which obviously isn't occurring using the main dump valve? Our unit is a 3905 Voltage.

PNGento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:19 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Don't overlook the water left in the distribution system, i.e., water pump and filter and the PEX lines.

I wonder if opening all the faucets with the pump running and opening the low drain points might not help some.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:58 PM   #3

South Carolina
We cannot fully drain the hot water side unless we prop open the pressure relief valve on the water heater, with the hot (and cold) low point cap removed. We normally don't do that until it gets cold.
When I do freshen the fresh water tank with a little bleach, I try to run that through the pump and hot water heater. (It doesn't need to be on, or hot, just run the water through the hot side). Of course, after running bleach, you'll want to run fresh water through at least twice.
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:37 PM   #4

British Columbia
Does your HW tank have an anode rod in it. I have heard stories that they can cause water to get rank.

It sounds plausible being that the rod attracts a lot of minerals, etc. I pull the anode rod out of the heater and clean all of the crude off of it, when I winterize the camper.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:55 AM   #5
Djs

Utah
Before I bought my first 5th wheel, I had a tent trailer with terrible sulfur smell. When I replaced the anode, the problem disappeared.
Djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:40 AM   #6

Arizona
Flush all of your water lines. Our previous 5th wheel had an odor in the bathroom sink that wouldn't go away. Found out there was anti-freeze still in the water line leading to the nearby washer/dryer hookup in the bedroom closet. Once that line was purged the smell went away.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:04 PM   #7

Virginia
don't forget to also rinse out your external shower valves
mark33swm@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:00 PM   #8

California
My 3895 Voltage only has the stinky water problem in the rear bath sink. All the other water taps are fine . Have not been able to figure that one out yet. It is the longest run from the tank, so maybe that's why.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:42 AM   #9

Alabama
Mine has both a 1 1/2 inch dump valve for the fresh water tank AND a low point drain for the fresh water tank forward of the dump valve. If I use only the dump valve, there is still quite a bit of water left in the tank. Maybe check for a third low point drain poking out the bottom (mine is located inconveniently far away from the side of the trailer, hidden behind the 3 inch drain piping, and difficult to see if you don't crawl under).

2013 Voltage 3895
2011 Ford F-350 DRW w/ Firestone airbags and heavy duty compressor, Edge Insight CTS, Curt Q24
Moogal78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:35 PM   #10

Maryland
I had the same problem at my house when we would leave for long weekends and I had a plumber come over and what he told me was I had a bacteria in the hot water tank and all I had to do was add a little bleach to the water system and it would take care of it. I did this and have not had a problem since. I do have well water, and most campgrounds do as well, so you might want to try that.
hilbilydavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:47 AM   #11

Oklahoma
On my 3905, the fresh water tank has 2 drains. One is like the low point drain, 3/8" line with a cap, and then just forward of the axles, there is a 1" drain with a ball valve on it. When the low point drain is opened and finishes draining, the ball valve still has lots of water in it. I have no idea how that tank is set up, but it is what it is and I always open both of them on the way to the storage to empty the tank. I also agree with the disinfectant. I use this guys method in the article. The sodium dichlor is easy to do and it flushes out very easily.

How to Sanitize Your RV Fresh Water System