Soon Picking up my Voltage 3200 but only after... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #1

Tennessee
Soon Picking up my Voltage 3200 but only after...

Well only after a few things are addressed. The dealer is working closely with me and correcting things as I find them. I'm sure they'll be happier to see me go

check for broken screws.. you wont see them because broken already and setting in the hole. Just take a square bit and give a little twist if broken it will be obvious. note the rust on the broken ones.. obviously the factory didn't seal them either.. I had over 150 of the replace and sealed. The ones that came out hust replaced with new and sealed.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #2

Texas
Where are these located?

soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 06:36 PM   #3

Virginia
Kinda hammers the point to put your Hands on everything. I sure will in a couple weeks. Thanks. Congrats!
Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 10:39 PM   #4

Tennessee
Let me try some more photos I had several but site, or me timed out. The screws were found mostly on the slide side. Others here and there.

this is front door.. you get the idea

Broken one removed some were not broken but removed anyway and replaced with new and sealed. None of the original screws were sealed.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:42 PM   #5

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonernation View Post
Where are these located?
I'm posting more pictures. They have to be moderated first not sure how long that will take stay tuned. I'm satisfied with the unit just working bugs out... I'm a little picky ... but within reason ... lets say I have reasonable expectations
Old 02-20-2014, 10:54 PM   #6

Tennessee
Had them remove and properly seal shower enclosure. It leaked during my testing.

Bulb seals getting chewed up by slide rails ... seems to be common among this system. It creates drag "resistance" which in turn can and will effect mechanism efficiency. I just trimmed them neatly to remedy this issue, I also noticed the track filled with rubber flakes obviously along with clear caulking in tract... sticky ... drag factor ... cleaned everything 75% better in movement and smoother...
Old 02-20-2014, 11:06 PM   #7

Tennessee
Okay let me see if I can explain this in simple terms.. the picture is of the large slide underneath in the outer corners. You can see as water runs down it rolls under that aluminium L bracket gets under it the wooden floor wicks in in.

In time this will cause swelling or worse. The factory failed to seal these areas. I plan on doing additional sealing throughout the unit and keep a close eye on these areas.

They also make a product I think worthy of trying: Its a superhydrophobic coating "google it" and check it out.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:00 PM   #8

Tennessee
Okay... update... I think we're ready to go with our new Voltage. Had awnings installed over both slides.

Found a couple of leaks we fixed had to remove some fasteners that held underbelly material and the barrier. BTW on this unit those fasteners were nail rivets shot through the steel frame and are not easily removed! Leak was at filler hose "clamp loose" drip drip drip drip.... The other leak was the fresh water drain valve..
Old 02-24-2014, 11:11 PM   #9

Tennessee
Finally! removed both air conditioners and re-taped duct work. Little or no air was coming through the vents. I did notice quite a bit of air coming through the ceiling lights. The factory did not do a very good job in this area. The picture below is the re-taping process. I failed to get a before picture ... oh well, it wasn't near right.

Finally ready to move up out of here. Here's the rig with our truck. My advise... get as much fixed as you can before you leave the lot. Hope my findings and others posted here helps. Hopefully from here on I can keep a grip on things... time will tell.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:40 AM   #10

Nevada
Here is what I did to my ac unit installed a baffle to direct air so it would reduce cavitation in corners of air box. the picture does not show the taping I did on the edges for sealing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131004_104924_859.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	837  

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 12:44 AM   #11

Virginia
This was great, ours should be coming out of paint Wed. and they said should be done next week! We plan on spending a day if not two going over everything. Fortunately I have access to Thermal cameras, moisture meters and more. Hopefully it will help catch things like the air duct leaks and water infiltration. Enjoy your future with your new Voltage!

Phil
2014 Voltage 3950 Epic III
2016 Ram 3500 Diesel 4wd, Long Horn Dually long bed
Moto4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:51 AM   #12

Texas
OP - Which slide awnings did you end up going with?
Old 02-25-2014, 01:52 AM   #13

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightydo View Post
Here is what I did to my ac unit installed a baffle to direct air so it would reduce cavitation in corners of air box. the picture does not show the taping I did on the edges for sealing.
I re-taped my A/C but the increase in airflow was minimal. Did this mod, make a noticeable difference in air flow?
Old 02-25-2014, 02:05 AM   #14

Tennessee
Quote:
I re-taped my A/C but the increase in airflow was minimal. Did this mod, make a noticeable difference in air flow?
I went with matching care free awnings. Had to order them. As far as air flow after re-taping I did notice a difference. Of course, the heat of the summer will tell its worth. I may have to install a third unit in garage.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:04 PM   #15

Nevada
Quote:
Yes it did. before I had some TP screwed in vent register no movement. After movement big time. I found it on Heartland forum
http://www.heartlandowners.org/showt...-SOLVED/page19

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:05 PM   #16

That's great you got everything done and hopefully done right but one thing bothers me and that the ductwork work. I think foil tape would have worked better in that area. If you look closely you will see the gray duct tape is already pulling loose. Over time it will all come loose I am afraid. You would do better retaping with foil duct tape. IMHO.

thanks for the pictures it gives me somewhere to look for flaws also.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:48 PM   #17

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
That's great you got everything done and hopefully done right but one thing bothers me and that the ductwork work. I think foil tape would have worked better in that area. If you look closely you will see the gray duct tape is already pulling loose. Over time it will all come loose I am afraid. You would do better retaping with foil duct tape. IMHO.

thanks for the pictures it gives me somewhere to look for flaws also.
I agree with you on this. I had that discussion with the tech. This was his experience after 17 years as a tech. He said the metal tape does not stay as well on the wood. When cool air hits it, it makes it adhere less to the point of failure.

He uses the duct tape to line duct work and goes over it with the metal tape overlapping it. He says he's never had an issue with it coming loose. So, guess well see ... I can always redo myself if becomes an issue in the future. It's really a simple task. Thanks to everyone for your input, its appreciated very much.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:47 AM   #18

Washington
We are on our second voltage 3200, first one was a 2012, the slides never worked correctly, always sticking and stopping when moving them in and it had major water leaks at the corners of each slide. After a year of going to 3 different dealers 15 times for repair, we traded for a 13 and took the huge financial bath. I went through the new one almost as you did, found the broken screws, leaky shower, roof leaks, cracked cabinet doors, but missed the leaky tv antenna. First night after leaving dealer, we were sleeping when it started to rain. I woke up and the covers at my feet were soaked and water was dripping from the ceiling through the lights. It took two days to find the leaky spot on the antenna. I'm glad I saw your post about the wicking water on the underside of the main slide. I noticed that happening on mine and pointed it out to the service techs. They said they could not duplicate it. Will have to fix that on my own as well as a shower leak I almost have nailed down. I occasionally I find water in the basement under the shower, seems to occur with water pressure changes, so most likely the shower valve.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:50 AM   #19

Michigan
When we first got ours, I had the occasional water drip in the basement as well. Turned out one of the fittings was loose on the backside of the shower mixing valve. I removed the cover inside the shower, reached in and tightened it up (hand tight) and replaced the silicone around the that flange as well as on the top of the mixing valve itself and have never had another drop down there.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:21 AM   #20

Illinois
That same exact thing happened with ours and drove me NUTZ!!! We were camping in Cherokee,NC and it rained on and off for about 2 days and that's when I found the leak...Looked at the roof, baggage door seal, and eve the led awning light cord that wasn't sealed too good... fixed the seal issue, but still had the leak... dealer said it was the conical washer in the hot water-side of the mixing valve that did not seat right...GRRRRR!!!