Solar prep, where do they terminate - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2019, 10:36 PM   #1

Montana
Solar prep, where do they terminate

I have a 2019 Voltage 3655, it is solar prepped, on the roof there are Jaboni solar panel connectors, my question is where are the wires in the coach? I would like to install some solar capability to charge batteries while dry camping. Any help would be appreciated.

erhardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:20 AM   #2

Alabama
Coiled up next to the battery. Should be an inline fuse.

Revere411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 02:20 AM   #3

Alabama
The dealer may have hooked it up to your battery already.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:56 AM   #4

Montana
Don’t I need to install a charge controller
Old 09-05-2019, 10:10 AM   #5

Florida
the manual, as usual, is not help!

Solar Prep If equipped, a solar prep quick connect will be mounted on the exterior sidewall or roof. An aftermarket solar panel kit can be purchased to utilize this feature. Please refer to the manufacturer instructions supplied with the RV for care and operation and/or www.furrion.com, www.gpelectric.com, www.futuresales.com.

Would seem to me that you would need to add a charge controller. Can you tell if the wires go to the power distribution panel or directly to the battery. I went to the aftermarket sites (DON'T GO TO THE THIRD ONE) and they indicate that their systems come with a charge controller.

my guess is that you would need to add one. But where would you put it?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:43 PM   #6

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhardd View Post
I have a 2019 Voltage 3655, it is solar prepped, on the roof there are Jaboni solar panel connectors, my question is where are the wires in the coach? I would like to install some solar capability to charge batteries while dry camping. Any help would be appreciated.

Ours is located up front. I know it is already connected to the batteries because I can measure 12 VDC there with a Voltmeter. I would assume that yours is also. Seems like a more sophisticated set up.

Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190907_154014[1].jpg
Views:	345
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	5828   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190907_154022[1].jpg
Views:	402
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	5829  
Old 09-11-2019, 09:11 PM   #7

California
2019 4115 owner here.
It sure would be nice if you could get a freakin maintenance manual or technical manual with the RV you just paid $$$$$ for. All of this prep this prep that, troubleshooting is frustrating when you can do it your self if you had a “As built drawing or cable matrix etc. All Dutchmen will say is “we can’t help you” Sorry
How did they build the rig if they didn’t have drawings!!! Even if they sub out some of the work for radio, satellite, solar prep, control panel board etc. A drawing is required from the vendor.
EWJammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:35 PM   #8

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWJammer View Post
2019 4115 owner here.
It sure would be nice if you could get a freakin maintenance manual or technical manual with the RV you just paid $$$$$ for. All of this prep this prep that, troubleshooting is frustrating when you can do it your self if you had a “As built drawing or cable matrix etc. All Dutchmen will say is “we can’t help you” Sorry
How did they build the rig if they didn’t have drawings!!! Even if they sub out some of the work for radio, satellite, solar prep, control panel board etc. A drawing is required from the vendor.
Amish craftsmanship...
Old 09-11-2019, 10:16 PM   #9

Tennessee
Do people just drive to an RV dealership, slap down a check and drive off 10 minutes later?

My dealer spent a long time going over every inch of my camper with us, he even pulled it in a garage because it was hot out. He also had the city water hooked up so we could see how everything worked.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:25 PM   #10

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revere411 View Post
Amish craftsmanship...

Haha

More like MacGyver

Old 10-13-2019, 11:43 PM   #11

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Do people just drive to an RV dealership, slap down a check and drive off 10 minutes later? .
That’s funny, did you think of every possible question you might have? The subject of solar never came up, and frankly there was so much new stuff on this unit that I probably don’t remember everything that was said.

I am going to talk to the dealer service department to see if they can get me the answer, I just assumed that somebody may have added solar and might have an answer.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:44 AM   #12

Montana
Bump, anybody? I’ve talked to my dealer, as well as Dutchman 3 times, Jaboni 1 time and don’t know anymore
Old 07-02-2020, 02:31 AM   #13

Ontario
Hope you get an answer, my Denali is not solar prepped. I am following. good luck and yes the manufactures are just this side of useless.

2014 Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 CTD
2011 Dutchmen Denali 262 RLX
drogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:00 PM   #14

Wisconsin
Quote:
Bump, anybody? I’ve talked to my dealer, as well as Dutchman 3 times, Jaboni 1 time and don’t know anymore
Take a volt meter up on the roof and check for 12 volts on the connectors. It may already be connected to your 12 volt system somewhere.
Solar wiring is done in many ways. Some RV's solar runs to a cabinet inside where it is expected you will mount a solar controller. There may be a cable from there to the 12 volt system.

Some run directly to the battery or 12 volt fuse panel. In this case the controller would be on the roof. Some panels have an integral solar controller.
I would follow the wire and/or the power.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead.
persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 07:23 PM   #15

Ohio
Solar location

Mine had a sticker on the electrical control panel to tell you where it's at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210715_142255.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	6967  
Ricpatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:51 PM   #16

Montana
Thanks to all that offered constructive comment. Some suggested that the wires were already hooked to the battery, generally they would have been right, however, Dutchman uses butt splices to connect the wire and after looking, testing and ultimately no luck I pulled off the docking station on the roof, low and behold one of the wires pulled out of the butt splice. I soldered both and am now ready to install my panel and controller.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:01 PM   #17

Wisconsin
Thanks for checking in with the end solution. I always appreciate knowing how things turn out.
Old 08-11-2021, 04:33 AM   #18

Utah
Quote:
Thanks to all that offered constructive comment. Some suggested that the wires were already hooked to the battery, generally they would have been right, however, Dutchman uses butt splices to connect the wire and after looking, testing and ultimately no luck I pulled off the docking station on the roof, low and behold one of the wires pulled out of the butt splice. I soldered both and am now ready to install my panel and controller.
Where are you putting the controller? We just bought a Kodiak Ultra Lite that came solar-prepped on the roof. I don’t even know where to start
TravisBatesUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:37 PM   #19

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisBatesUtah View Post
Where are you putting the controller? We just bought a Kodiak Ultra Lite that came solar-prepped on the roof. I don’t even know where to start
You did not post your rig year, make, and model. Assuming it is a newer Kodiak Cub, you may be able to put it inside the front pass through. Some new owners have reported a junction box there you can hook into.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:58 PM   #20

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by persistent View Post
You did not post your rig year, make, and model. Assuming it is a newer Kodiak Cub, you may be able to put it inside the front pass through. Some new owners have reported a junction box there you can hook into.
Hello, and apologies. I forget people do not read minds.

We bought a '21 Ultra-Lite. It says it comes "prepped" which I am sure means a couple wires run from the ceiling.

From what I have figured out from Google University it looks like I will need panels, and a control module. The trailer supposedly came with an inverter already but I have my doubts on that.

TravisBatesUtah is offline   Reply With Quote