Slide Seal Compression - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2015, 02:05 PM   #1

Washington
Slide Seal Compression

Ok experts....I need some advice.

I have asked three different dealers about this issue and all say there's nothing they can do. My living room slide on the left side of the coach doesn't compress the seal evenly down the front side of the slide. The top portion is compressed but the bottom of the slide makes contact without any compression and as you can see I can slide my fingers between the seal and the coach. All the other slides compress evenly, including the back side of this slide. I just picked up the coach from the dealer who replaced all the bulb seals because the factory installed them too close to the slide rail and they were being chewed up by the rail. I don't see any moisture entering the slide so far but I don't want to have an issue in the future. Should I be concerned or am I just being anal....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150614_064733.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	2272   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150614_064752 (1).jpg
Views:	276
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	2273  

Happiness is an old pickup truck, a good dog and an understanding woman....
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:43 PM   #2

New York
Ours looks like yours.....we only have one slide so I could not compare.....BUT....dealer & Dutchmen said that was normal!

Have had it two going on three camping seasons and no water issues that we can find! At least with the slide......don't ask about the rest of the TH!

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:21 AM   #3

my slide seal on my main slide does not touch at the bottom at all. I would doubt it was normal but the only fix I could see would be rework the entire bottom to make it seal.. I figured as long as it wasnt leaking, the less they at the shop get their hands on the better off I am
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:19 PM   #4

Ontario
I've always wondered this, too. My seals are also about that tight (as cowboys pictures) but evenly all around. Could that be adjusted tighter by "re-calibrating" the slideout?? There's a "Stall Force Calibration" adjuster on the slideout controller. But it's covered by a "break seal to calibrate" sticker. That's frightened me away from trying to tinker with it. (break seal = void warranty??). Would really like to here what others might think about the "stall force calibration" thingy, and as a possible remedy to tighten up the slide sealing.

Mike
2010 Yamaha YZ125
mikesnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:35 PM   #5

Texas
Mine looks the same... compressed tight at the top, loose at the bottom but still touching.

I questioned this during my PDI and was also told it was normal.

So far no problems, no leaks.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:15 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Mine has a double seal, one next to the other, and they both touch the surface, but are not squashed down. I have never had a problem either, and I think that as long as they are touching, they shouldn't leak.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:16 AM   #7

Washington
Thanks guys I really appreciate the feedback. I'll monitor it and make sure there aren't any leaks but I feel a little better now.

Happiness is an old pickup truck, a good dog and an understanding woman....
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:11 AM   #8

Virginia
When everyone pulls their slides in are you depressing the switch until the slide cuts off automatically? Or do you let go when the slide stops moving?
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:24 AM   #9

Texas
I think most of us with the Schwintek slides are holding the switch down 3 to 5 seconds after the slide stops to keep the motors in synch as recommended by a Lippert you tube video posted on the forum about 6 months ago. I couldn't find the post to give credit to the OP, but I did find the you tube link below...

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:58 AM   #10

Pennsylvania
Mine was also not even when closed and the seal was not as tight at the bottom on the living room slide. I then had warranty work done on the slide because it was binding and the motor was chewing up the track on one side. When the work was completed the slide was tight top to bottom when closed. Not sure if it was part of the issue. The tech showed me that corrosion between the metal rod that turns the gears and a guide block had caused the sticking and binding.
The slide now works without issue. It seems lubrication and alignment are very important for these slides to work properly especially the larger slides.