Slide issues - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2019, 02:08 AM   #1

Kansas
Slide issues

Big kitchen slide left track only moves out about 2 inches then stops which causes the right side to stop also. I have tried the pushing button on control module fast then hold on 7th until lights flash then go inside and try to move slide out and it still does same thing. Just wondering if I need to have someone else inside to try the slide as soon as the lights start flashing like maybe I am not getting inside soon enough?
Any ideas

Jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:20 AM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
Big kitchen slide left track only moves out about 2 inches then stops which causes the right side to stop also. I have tried the pushing button on control module fast then hold on 7th until lights flash then go inside and try to move slide out and it still does same thing. Just wondering if I need to have someone else inside to try the slide as soon as the lights start flashing like maybe I am not getting inside soon enough?
Any ideas

The control board will stay in the manual mode until the slide is cycled so you have plenty of time to get in and push the buttons.
You may have a broken wire on the motor or some other problem. You may have something under the slide floor hanging up the movement.
One of my mouse pets carried a watch with a rubber wrist band on it under my bedroom slide causing it to hang on extension. Did the same button push and that did nothing. I was able to look under the floor and saw the watch and was able to retrieve it. No more problems so you may have something under the floor.
Check the gear rail for damage also.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:38 AM   #3

Iowa
Quote:
Any ideas
My big slide did exactly what you are describing, it was a broken wire. I ordered a new motor and installed it and it worked fine. I soldered the wire back on the original motor and now carry it as a spare.
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 02:58 AM   #4

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs2 View Post
My big slide did exactly what you are describing, it was a broken wire. I ordered a new motor and installed it and it worked fine. I soldered the wire back on the original motor and now carry it as a spare.
Thank you. Now my next question lol
Where is the motor and how do you get to it?
Old 06-25-2019, 03:04 AM   #5

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
The control board will stay in the manual mode until the slide is cycled so you have plenty of time to get in and push the buttons.
You may have a broken wire on the motor or some other problem. You may have something under the slide floor hanging up the movement.
One of my mouse pets carried a watch with a rubber wrist band on it under my bedroom slide causing it to hang on extension. Did the same button push and that did nothing. I was able to look under the floor and saw the watch and was able to retrieve it. No more problems so you may have something under the floor.
Check the gear rail for damage also.
Thank you. So you just looked between the kitchen floor and the bottom of the slide? I was also wondering since there are two slides are there also two controllers?
Old 06-25-2019, 03:49 AM   #6

Iowa
Quote:
Thank you. Now my next question lol
Where is the motor and how do you get to it?
Check out YouTube for Schwintec slide motor replacement, you've got to get the slide pushed out about a foot so you can get the retaining screw out, it's at the top of the slide. You'll have to pull the rubber seal away to get to it, then with a screwdriver pop the motor up and grab it and pull it out. It may have to come out on the inside of the camper.
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:08 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Quote:
Thank you. So you just looked between the kitchen floor and the bottom of the slide? I was also wondering since there are two slides are there also two controllers?

Two slides, two controllers. Mine wasn't a kitchen slide, it was the bedroom slide that I was able to see under while looking from the living room. The bedroom slide has a curb where the storage cabinets live.

You may be able to see under your slide from the outside.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 01:42 AM   #8

Kansas
I found the controller for the couch slide and put it in the manual mode which did allow the slide to work. I moved it out all the way then held the button 5 seconds after it stopped then moved it back in holding the button depressed 5 seconds after it stopped. This from what I have read should have timed the slide. but after doing this procedure the slid went right back to doing what it was doing. The code the controller is flashing says short between controller and motor #2. I find it hard to believe there is a short since it does move out and back in while in manual mode. Only other possibility I am considering is the motor is weak and drawing to much or the slide is dragging to much causing a draw. I didn't notice any sounds like it was laboring while in manual mode but I am new to this camper and to this type of slide so I might not know what it should sound like.
Any ideas welcome, in the mean time I will continue to mess with it and keep you all posted.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:45 AM   #9

Michigan
Finally had a slide issue yesterday after 6 years being trouble free. Bedroom slide started to come out and the rear portion just stopped and would not retract or extend. The code on the controller was a 2-8. Short circuit on motor 2. I removed the motor (easier than I expected) and found the red wire had broken away from the circuit board. Soldered it back on and all is well.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:54 AM   #10

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
Finally had a slide issue yesterday after 6 years being trouble free. Bedroom slide started to come out and the rear portion just stopped and would not retract or extend. The code on the controller was a 2-8. Short circuit on motor 2. I removed the motor (easier than I expected) and found the red wire had broken away from the circuit board. Soldered it back on and all is well.
Good job
Mine was the motor next to garage so I would have had to remove the sliding door to get to it.
Old 06-30-2019, 11:59 AM   #11

Kansas
Got it figured out
I had a broken spring awhile back and the tire rubbed several wires bare . Replaces the damaged wires and all is good.
Also I did a google search for schwintek troubleshooting guide and found a pretty good manual. I printed it off and put in in camper.
Thanks for all the help
Old 07-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #12

Alabama
Jeffo, if you need to get to the motor next to the sliding door you can take off the trim on that side of the slide room. It is pin nailed onto the backer board which is screwed into the slide box framing and is a whole lot easier than removing the door.
Revere411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:50 PM   #13

Texas
If you look up under the fender well they run the wire exposed back to the rear motor slide. I had a flat tire that shredded that wire. I ran the wire the best I could in a better location and so far have not had that happen again. Possibly the wire got chewed on by a critter.
captwrk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:14 AM   #14

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revere411 View Post
Jeffo, if you need to get to the motor next to the sliding door you can take off the trim on that side of the slide room. It is pin nailed onto the backer board which is screwed into the slide box framing and is a whole lot easier than removing the door.
Are you talking about the decorative trim on the face of the slide?
Old 07-12-2019, 11:57 PM   #15

Alabama
Quote:
Are you talking about the decorative trim on the face of the slide?
Yes, the decorative trim is pin nailed on. Get a flat bar and carefully pry the pretty stuff off and then unscrew the base board. Pull the pin nails through the back using a pair of pliers or side cutters. Also you can wiggle them back and forth and the will break off so that you have a flat surface again.
Revere411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:18 AM   #16

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revere411 View Post
Yes, the decorative trim is pin nailed on. Get a flat bar and carefully pry the pretty stuff off and then unscrew the base board. Pull the pin nails through the back using a pair of pliers or side cutters. Also you can wiggle them back and forth and the will break off so that you have a flat surface again.
Got it thank you. Good info.