Slide issue fixed? Well 4 trips. - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2015, 04:35 AM   #1

Washington
Slide issue fixed? Well 4 trips.

Ok I waited till I had a few trips in until I posted anything about this. So 2 trips after I got my used Voltage guess what I had problems with the kitchen slide. So when I got to were I was going it wouldn't go out. Tried a couple times and finally got it out. When I got it home and got it out I started looking at it. It seems there is a lot of problems and I guess the dealers cant figure it out so I figured I would give it a try.
I noticed that the rollers were sinking into the decking from the weight of the slide. I went to my local fab shop and looked for wider rollers to put in............he had a whole book of rollers and the size I needed only went up to 80# each and there is 4. Now everybody knows that slide weighs more then 320. The interesting thing is the same rollers that come on the slides are rated at.......I think it was 35# each.
1st I was going to have them make new rollers 12" wide and they figured they would carry about 150#ea but it was a complete fab and wasn't sure it would solve the problem. So this is what I did. I had plates cut 8' wide by the depth of the slide 1/8" thick. I pulled all the screws out of the side of the slide( one side at a time) jacked up the slide and put the plate between the roller and the floor, screwed it to the floor. This has stopped the rollers sinking into the decking.
I have 4 or 5 trips in not and it is the easiest slide to put out and no more problems.
It should be noted that if I put the slide out and let the decking relax then the slide would go in and out fine. But the first time down the road it would sink in again. I have seen posts of people taking their unit into the dealer for this problem and then getting to their first stop and it doing the same thing.
This is my disclaimer.........I did this myself and it worked for me. I'm sure you will never talk a dealer into doing it and I'm sure it would void your warranty. But it worked good enough that I will do the rest of my slides as I can see were the rollers are sinking into the decking on them and they are twice as hard to get in(well it sounds like its harder). Problem being still have rollers that are......I believe......way under rated.

catdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:04 AM   #2

Nevada
Which Trailer do you have?

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:05 AM   #3

Washington
Old 06-10-2015, 05:12 AM   #4

Nevada
thanks, I will take look at those rollers
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:37 PM   #5

Maryland
Can you post some pictures?

Thanks,
Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:02 PM   #6

California
I think most all the Voltage kitchen slides will be the same. So this will benefit most all of us. I know my slide looks quite the same on my V3605.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:52 AM   #7

Washington
I will try and post some pictures. I'm not the most Tec savey person......I will get my 13 year old to help me. It works great though.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:06 PM   #8

New York
To post pictures:

Go to Advanced Post
Scroll down to Manage Attachments
Hit Browse - insert the photos - which must be stored on your computer
Then Upload.....
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:32 PM   #9

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
To post pictures:

Go to Advanced Post
Scroll down to Manage Attachments
Hit Browse - insert the photos - which must be stored on your computer
Then Upload.....
Well son of a gun...I thought it was like other forums...had to post them through an online service like PhotoBucket....I like the upload feature much better, as I would like to clean up and arrange my PhotoBucket account...which if I do, I assume will make dead links to pics I have already posted.

Thanks!!!

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #10

Texas
Good post catdog...

I've checked mine once or twice before, need to keep a better eye on them, I can see where they could be a weak leak!!!

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #11

Ontario
I've had two motors fail in my bedroom slide. One last year; one again this year. (More info under my name in thread "Schwintek slide problem"). In both cases, the dealer replaced motors and problem was resolved. But now I’m wondering if it really has been…

First failure, slide was stuck in. Dealer had "fun" (with extra manpower!) pushing slide out enough to create space enough to access the motor release screw (which is only possible from outside). Then, the motor is removed from the inside (and only possible from the inside). Second failure, slide was stuck out by about a foot. Luckily, that left enough space both outside and inside for the repair job. In both cases, putting the controller in manual over ride was tried, but the slide wouldn't budge.

So why the motor failure in the first place? And is another failure looming? Based on great info shared here by a bunch of you (and thanks!)… I now think it's either due to a soft or swollen slide floor at the exterior edge; maybe the outer most 12 inches or so, due to water wicking (as explained in Cale’s and Slim’s and others’ excellent posts).

If soft, the rollers may be digging into the slide floor upon contact. If swollen, the rollers may be pushing the slide up upon contact, perhaps making the slide bind on the rails or in slide wall opening. In either case, causing the motor to be over-worked and eventually fail.

Thinking back, I have noticed the slide moving slower/the motor sounding more “stressed” as that 12-inch section of slide floor rolls out or rolls in. And of course, while out on a trip and leaving us stranded, rather than at home while doing maintenance... like the last failure happened (faaaaack!).

Next step? I’ll have to determine soft versus swollen. If soft, I’ll have to figure out support strips (like Catdog explained in this thread). If swollen, maybe take a belt sander to the affected area and then re-seal. Gosh forbid if the entire slide floor must be replaced (ka-ching!). In any event, I best resolve this before the newly-replaced motor is exposed to being “over worked” again.

I’m open to input here, Volty folks. (And btw, have to say again how impressed I am by the knowledge and “gumption” of contributors on this forum – thanks very much for your efforts folks. This is my first RV and, man, what a schooling I’m getting to the “reality” of RV’ing: the good and the ugly!)

PS: I’ve been bit by the “Schwintek problem” but I think in fairness their inwall slide system is not solely to blame. Indeed, you’d think it would have better tolerance to load/stress. But if not installed correctly or operating in adverse circumstance, what can one expect? Just my 2 cents doing 33-plus years of IT support (“sometimes the problem is actually caused by another problem” lol).

Mike
2010 Yamaha YZ125
mikesnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:52 PM   #12

Ontario
Forgot to mention: both my kitchen and main slides (both bigger and heavier than the bedroom slide) have worked flawlessly from day one. Me thinks I won’t find water stains under their osb floors. Will report back…

Mike
2010 Yamaha YZ125
mikesnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:02 PM   #13

Washington
I think I figured it out. Will see.... I also had more step I did that I forgot about. I will post it when I'm at a computer and not the phone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0040.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	2264   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0041.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	2265   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0037.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	2266  
Old 06-11-2015, 11:35 PM   #14

Colorado
Nice job cat dog, so you took all screws off the slide tracks? Or what did you remove?
Old 06-11-2015, 11:59 PM   #15

Washington
Ya 1 side at a time and then just used a jack to lift it. I did one side and put about 4 or 5 screws in kinda loose but enough to keep it from falling out. Then did the other side. Then I put all the screws back in and tightened everything. There is one more part that I will try and explain. But it will take me some time to try and explain it right.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:05 AM   #16

Washington
Ok here we go. I'm going to try and explain it but if there is questions fire away. So when I did this, first I had no water damage but, the roller was really cutting into the decking at the ext wall and then less and less as it got to the........I will call it the living area. So I got to thinking with the slide out leverage takes over and all the weight would be on the header in the slide( If the header wasn't there the slide would fall out). If they are installing the slides at the factory I assume it would be out and the workers would set the slides on the rollers and then secure the rails and supports. The problem being is when the slide comes in the weight shifts to the rollers.
So when I put the plates in and let the slide down I put just a little weight on the rollers ( I could move the rollers with my fingers but it was kind of hard). I secured every thing and then put the slide in. When I got it in there was a lot of weight on the roller( I couldn't spin them anymore). Honestly I think the rollers and the slide motor or rails were working against each other the way they had it. Really there shouldn't be a lot of weight on the rollers when the slide is fully out. All the rollers are doing is setting on 1 1/4 decking.
I don't know but I'm getting the stuff to do my other two slides this weekend. I will post and let everybody know what the outcome was........I hope it works as good as the kitchen slide
Old 06-12-2015, 05:50 PM   #17

Florida
Catdog,
I know you said your plates were 1/8" thick, but what metal was it? steel or aluminum?

And which screws did you remove from the side of slide, the ones securing the track or the ones along the floor edge?

Thanks, great write up(s)!
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:23 PM   #18

Washington
I used steel but, I just went and got the rest for the other two slides and was kinda surprised at how heavy it was. But I guess a little more weight or slides that don't open. I took the screws out on the side of the slide. When I did that and jacked it up it raised the whole slide assembly with it.
I would be a little curious if maybe there isn't something better to use then steel. I guess I was just worried over time anything else might start to bend.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:16 PM   #19

New York
Catdog - thanks for all the explaining......but is it possible that you take pics of the next "fix" - my Granddaddy always said a picture is worth a thousand words!

Thanking you in advance.................
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:27 PM   #20

Washington
Ya I will try and take some pictures now that I'm a little more confident that the fix worked. I'm going to try and do at least one this weekend as the living room slide sounds like it is working pretty hard.
As long as the beers don't get in the way