Show off your Mods - Page 3 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #41

New Mexico
I mount my ladders under the bunks above the toy went they are in but I unable to load any photos

fuzzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #42

Washington
I just finished a mod on the Trailair hitchbox... just added two more shocks so there's three of them now. Hoping this smooths the ride a little more. Will see. Pics and writeup at this link. [/QUOTE]

Part of my job at work is to analyze mod's to equipment. In the short term, this mod should give you an indication of whether it will do what you want. Long term, I believe you will need to support the outboard portions of the bolts to prevent breakage. Even very minor flexing of the bolt long term will cause it to fracture. Just my opinion, thought I'd pass it on.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:30 AM   #43

Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltageGuy View Post
I watched the unit as my wife drove. Just sat in the back seat, opened the sliding window, and observed what it's doing. Compression is resisted by the airbag and shock combo. As soon as compression occurs, rebound goes into effect. It was like the bag and shock were too weak, too small, for the forces being exerted. So adding two more shocks might to the trick. So that's a big improvement in damping effect adding two more absorbers. Fingers crossed. More details on Dec. 23, after our trip.
Does your F-350 have air bags? I also have the F-350 and 3950 and it sagged about 2-3" before adding Firestone Ride Rite, before the addition of air bags, felt like suspension was hitting bump stops causing excess bucking, run 90 psi in trailair pinbox and around 45 psi in truck air bags much smoother ride! Just read article on Hotchkiss suspension coming out in 2014 Ram 3500 now that is the ultimate rear suspension!
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #44

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
Does your F-350 have air bags? I also have the F-350 and 3950 and it sagged about 2-3" before adding Firestone Ride Rite, before the addition of air bags, felt like suspension was hitting bump stops causing excess bucking, run 90 psi in trailair pinbox and around 45 psi in truck air bags much smoother ride! Just read article on Hotchkiss suspension coming out in 2014 Ram 3500 now that is the ultimate rear suspension!
lakebuster

Did you install the Firestone Ride Rite air bags on your truck yourself. I bought a set for my 2013 F350 DRW and the bracket on the driver side absolutely would not fit. The passenger side went together no problem but the drivers side would not as the DEF tank bracket was in the way. I ended up going with Timbren overload springs. I talked with Firestone technical support and they told me some (my) trucks had a problem and they did not have a fix.

on edit.....I may be off base here but I believe it was VoltageGuy that said the does have Firestone Ride Rite on his truck but does not use them. I think he is on vacation now and will respond soon.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #45

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
lakebuster

Did you install the Firestone Ride Rite air bags on your truck yourself. I bought a set for my 2013 F350 DRW and the bracket on the driver side absolutely would not fit. The passenger side went together no problem but the drivers side would not as the DEF tank bracket was in the way. I ended up going with Timbren overload springs. I talked with Firestone technical support and they told me some (my) trucks had a problem and they did not have a fix.

on edit.....I may be off base here but I believe it was VoltageGuy that said the does have Firestone Ride Rite on his truck but does not use them. I think he is on vacation now and will respond soon.
When I got air bags I went with the Airlifts for a similar reason. I have the B&W Turnover ball hitch and the locking pin handle on the driver side that interferes. I got mine at Ranch Hand and the guys there told me Firestone did not make a bag that fit will with that. The Airlift fit perfectly. Makes me think that Firestone is not as interested in solving these kind of problems.

How can you NOT use an air bag once it is installed? Even if it is left at a the minimal pressure required it will do something when you put a load on the truck.

2013 Infinity 3640RL with Trailair pin box
2008 F-250 King Ranch Power Stroke diesel with B&W Companion Slider hitch
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #46

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkie View Post
How can you NOT use an air bag once it is installed? Even if it is left at a the minimal pressure required it will do something when you put a load on the truck.
I did say that I may be off base on my reply. But I was communicating with one forum member that stated he did not use this air bags, at least to raise the truck. I don't know. I wish I had them. My truck is OK with the Timbrens but I see my headlights are a tad high. The truck is not squatted down in back but it could be up just a little.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:19 AM   #47

Mississippi
Airbags

Quote:
lakebuster

Spring Shop installed airbags, paid for model # 2535, kept installation manual (thought I did) from shop and remembered reading about reusing bolt or something about DEF tank, found PDF installation manual and this video on firestone superduty install.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:24 AM   #48

Mississippi
Here is PDF manual, talking about DEF tank
http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/manual...-ride-rite.pdf
Old 12-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #49

Colorado
Quote:
My truck is OK with the Timbrens but I see my headlights are a tad high. The truck is not squatted down in back but it could be up just a little.
I have Timbrens on my Toyota off road truck. They are really only designed to assist with a load, but not really for load leveling. They are also really nice when crawling a trail to reduce the hard bounce you get when going over rocks and other obstacles.

To perhaps clarify my early statement, once airbags are installed the only way you cannot use them at all, is to remove them again. Even at minimum they will do something, depending on the load, and you have to keep that minimum in them otherwise you run the risk of them getting pinched and ruining your investment.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #50

Texas
Installed a new entry door window. A friend just bought a 2014 and his already comes with a window like this.

I will need to add some window tint. I like that I can see out but I don't like that others can see in.

Old:

New:
soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #51

Colorado
That looks really nice!

Where did you get the window? It looks like it might open? Does it have a screen inside?

Old 12-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #52

Texas
Got it here:

RV Entry Doors

Received it in less than a week.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #53

Mississippi
Do you know what size you ordered and what corner type? I am going to order two, and cut out the opening for the back door (no window in rear door), Just showed DW the pictures and she liked and approved……..
Old 12-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #54

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
Do you know what size you ordered and what corner type? I am going to order two, and cut out the opening for the back door (no window in rear door), Just showed DW the pictures and she liked and approved……..
I ordered the standard entry door window from the linked page. Once you click the add to cart icon, it will ask you which color frame you want - black or white. I received the window within a week of ordering it.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #55

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonernation View Post
I will need to add some window tint.
Nice! I might get one and find a curtain or blind to cover for privacy or when the sun is shining on that side.

Nice mod.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #56

Georgia
I am interested in a similar install. What did you do to get underneath the trailer to ensure you were not hitting any tanks?
tkeller37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #57

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeller37 View Post
I am interested in a similar install. What did you do to get underneath the trailer to ensure you were not hitting any tanks?
What post are you referring to?

I see that you're new, and this is a common mistake. But when replying, it helps to either partially quote, or at least refer to the post you're asking about (as I did above). Because the posts immediately before this one are referring to the door, and nothing about the tanks.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #58

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
What post are you referring to?

I see that you're new, and this is a common mistake. But when replying, it helps to either partially quote, or at least refer to the post you're asking about (as I did above). Because the posts immediately before this one are referring to the door, and nothing about the tanks.
Sorry about that. I was referring to the post where the owner installed a chock in the garage.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:02 PM   #59

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dprince99 View Post
Installed brackets for (2) Condor checks & Biker Bar.
Well, that's It for now.
Can you provide more information this installation. Did you do it yourself?
Old 12-31-2013, 10:37 PM   #60

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by slb5146 View Post
WOW! That is impressive. I can't wait to hear the results. I experience this all across America. It really bugs us. I feel like it going to come apart sometimes and loose it all. Looks like a simple install. Thanks for sharing that mod.
The system works super good. In fact, it's so much better I recommend this to everyone who has the Trailair hitchbox with single shock. I wrote about my results on the website here Trailair Hitch Upgrade | You've landed on MyVoltageRV.com

Drove 8 hours with this thing, and would NEVER go back a single shock system, EVER. Triple shocks. The only way to go.