Selling/Trading Experience - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2014, 10:00 PM   #1

Texas
Selling/Trading Experience

We know that sometime in 2014 we will be upgrading to a newer Voltage. We are looking forward to seeing the Voltage 3970 in person as this is the one the wife has her eye on.

A few months ago, we got a wild hair and decided to look into an upgrade by trading in our Voltage 3200 to the dealer for a new Voltage 3990. We ended up backing out of the deal because I felt we weren't getting enough for our trade and it just wasn't worth taking the hit.

My questions are for those who may have attempted a trade and decided to sell privately through other sources. First, which private method did you use? Seems RV trader and Craigslist are popular. Second, were you successful in selling it privately? And finally, was the amount you sold it for sold privately (vs. what a dealer may have offered) worth the hassle of dealing with showing it to people, etc.

I am in no real rush to sell so I've considered putting out there just to see what kind of interest I get. If it were to sell then great. If not, then I will get to see how much the wife really wants to upgrade.

soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:23 PM   #2

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonernation View Post
We know that sometime in 2014 we will be upgrading to a newer Voltage. We are looking forward to seeing the Voltage 3970 in person as this is the one the wife has her eye on.

A few months ago, we got a wild hair and decided to look into an upgrade by trading in our Voltage 3200 to the dealer for a new Voltage 3990. We ended up backing out of the deal because I felt we weren't getting enough for our trade and it just wasn't worth taking the hit.

My questions are for those who may have attempted a trade and decided to sell privately through other sources. First, which private method did you use? Seems RV trader and Craigslist are popular. Second, were you successful in selling it privately? And finally, was the amount you sold it for sold privately (vs. what a dealer may have offered) worth the hassle of dealing with showing it to people, etc.

I am in no real rush to sell so I've considered putting out there just to see what kind of interest I get. If it were to sell then great. If not, then I will get to see how much the wife really wants to upgrade.
Wish I could help on the sell to private party vs trade in question. I always get screwed and just trade in. Doing a private party sale is always difficult for me. You could have better luck.

Now, I did a search on the 3970 and was not able to come up with much. I did see a floor plan that (on paper) I did not much care for. The bed is turned 90*. I have not seen a trailer that you could move around the sides of the bed when it is positioned that way. Looks like a king size bed. I can't see a reason for a bathtub. The water heater is a 6 gallon instead of the 10 gallon that my 3905 has. The length of this unit is over 45 feet long but the garage is only 11'. And the door from the living area swings into the garage making it less that 10' of usable garage. At least that is what I see in the floor plan illustration.

They upped the GVW from 19,000 lbs to 20,000 lbs so that means the thing is just plain heavier. The only other 20,000 lb GVW Voltage I am aware of it the 3818 with the 18' garage. Nice Garage!

I don't know if you can get into that refrigerator with the slides in. I can't get into mine. I did see one 2014 model that had refrigerator access but I didn't pay attention and don't know what model it was. Only that is was a 2014.

Hope I didn't side track your post to badly.

How about it guys and gals. Have you had good or bad luck selling RV's to a private party.

arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:06 AM   #3

Wyoming
Well... as the OP wasn't really asking opinions about the 3970 floor plan, I won't give my opinion of it except to say that I've been inside this unit, and that you can walk around the bed. The front nose is actually a walk-in closet, with a washer/dryer connection. Here's a flyer for it:

Now as for the actual question... I can't really give you any feedback on that either, except to say that I too wanted to trade & upgrade my unit, and had a similar experience to yours. If I had completed the deal, I'd have taken a bath on the trade-in.

I'm going to a large RV show in Tampa in a couple of weeks, and who knows? Maybe I'll be able to make a deal there. I doubt it, but if so... I'll let you know.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:18 AM   #4

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Well... as the OP wasn't really asking opinions about the 3970 floor plan, I won't give my opinion of it except to say that I've been inside this unit, and that you can walk around the bed. The front nose is actually a walk-in closet, with a washer/dryer connection. Here's a flyer for it:

Now as for the actual question... I can't really give you any feedback on that either, except to say that I too wanted to trade & upgrade my unit, and had a similar experience to yours. If I had completed the deal, I'd have taken a bath on the trade-in.

I'm going to a large RV show in Tampa in a couple of weeks, and who knows? Maybe I'll be able to make a deal there. I doubt it, but if so... I'll let you know.
OK, I'll ask you for your opinion since you have actually been in it.

I know all about the front portion as I spent a bunch of time in the 3990 and a friend just bought one. I curious on the living space. I've been in the Cyclone 4000 Elite which this is modeled after but the couch in this one seems smaller. I'm looking forward to when they start to show up on dealer lots so I can spend some time inside it.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #5

Wyoming
Quote:
OK, I'll ask you for your opinion since you have actually been in it.
Well, personally... I didn't like it for a combination of reasons. But when evaluating a rig, one has to remember who will be using it, and how it's intended to be used.

I'm a solo RV'er. I'm divorced and my sons are grown... I do occasionally have a friend who will come visit & use the spare bed. And as for the toys int he garage... ideally I'd like to bring 2 somewhat large motorcycles with me: an on-road touring bike, and an dual-sport bike for off-road.

So with those factors in mind... here are my observations about the unit:

1) I don't the head of my bed being in a slide-out, which is how the bedroom of this rig is made. Just a personal preference. But to me, even if you have room to move on both sides of the bed, as this unit allows... the thinner walls of a slide-out are not as well insulated as the other parts of the rig. As such, when sleeping... you hear nearly every sound from outside. Even if you're in a quiet RV park, there are still engines running as people arrive late or leave early. Doors slamming... Thunder crashing... Fire Station sirens... etc. I don't want that.

2) The walk-in closet feature is nice, I guess... and something new. But, to me, what was gained in 'convenience' was lost in functionality. There are no drawers to speak of. Only a couple of very small ones... certainly not large enough to hold my socks, t-shirts, etc. I'd have to install some small plastic ones from Lowes, which would take up the walking room in there, thus defeating the purpose.

3) The convenience of having the washer/dryer hook-up right there in the bedroom is VERY NICE!! Instead of having to have a basket or hamper in the bedroom that I have to take back & forth to the garage to do my laundry, it's right there where I need it. That's nice!

4) I like the full bathroom, and the toilet set at an angle to the wall. I'm a large guy, and the one thing I really don't like about my 3200 is the small corner shower unit. Having a full size tub/shower, where I could install a curved shower curtain would REALLY be nice. Also, with the toilet set at an angle to the walls, it allows more shoulder & elbow room as you sit to do your business.

5) I did not care for the LR layout. With both seating areas located in slides, and the TV itself at a 90-degree angle located almost in the center of the rig... you have to turn your head at an uncomfortable angle to watch TV. Oh, it's ok for 5 minutes or so... but think about how your neck is going to feel after watching a 30-minute show or a long movie. There's really only room for one decent seat where you can watch TV head-on... so to me, the rest of the seating is just wasted space.

6) The kitchen is 'ok'. Reminds me of a galley-kitchen I had in an apartment I rented long ago. More counter space than I have in the 3200, but not really laid out all that well. Overall, I was neutral on it... neither a plus or a minus.

7) The loft bed would be a nice storage area for me, but would never be used for its intended purpose. Another neutral

7) The 11' garage was a definite negative for me. I currently have a 10' garage, and adding another foot would do very little for me. 12' would be good, 14' would be great... as both of those lengths would allow me to carry 2 motorcycles, slightly staggered so their handlebars & saddlebags would not be side-by-side & rubbing against each other.

So... in the final analysis... except for the washer/dryer hookup and the bathroom, the rig really did nothing for me. Except for the bathroom, I like my current setup better.

Now again, these are simply my opinions for the way I go RV'ing, and the way that I use it. Your needs & requirements may be (and probably are) different.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #6

Indiana
A few years ago I sold my last 5er privately. I used Craig's list and a local trader rag in Maine. I also, sold a pick up truck that I had the same way.

My 5er was 7 years old when I sold it. They weren't going to give me anything for a trade toward this one. I purchased this one in March '12 and had sweat out selling the other 5er by the end of May. We had a lot of tire kickers for 6 weeks. Then one of those tire kickers came back a month later and purchased it.

I have had the itch to purchase another 5er. What's holding me back is taking such a hit if I trade. I also, am concerned whether someone would make that large of a purchase privately. Sometimes, I believe that people feel better purchasing a unit that is a year or two old from a dealer vs a private sale. Sometimes there are better financing deals through a dealer. Also, they may feel that the dealer will back what they sell with some type of warranty.

If I keep my 5er for another 3 or 4 years then we will probably sell it by private sale. When I go to the RV Super Show in Tampa and we find a new one that's appealing then I will talk trade.

It all depends on your comfort level and whether you feel that your taking a big hit.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #7

Virginia
We sold our last TT privately thru Craig's list. If your not in a rush to sell it does not hurt a thing to put it up for sale and see what happens. We, my wife, has put up her dad's old cars and a couple of his trailers and had great success. One thing I would recommend if doing this is plenty of pictures.
Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:19 AM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:

I have sold privately through Kijjiiji and our local Buy and Sell.

If you price the unit realistically, somewhere between what the dealer is offering you and probably 30% markup that the dealer will add on to the unit, you should have no problems.

The biggest problem that I have seen is when the seller wants a "10" price for a "5" unit. Case in point our local newspaper has a run until sold ad for vehicles. There is a Early 90s TT listed for about 2 X what it should be listed for and it's be in the classifieds for about 18 months.

Be up front with potential buyers, don't tell them that the tires are good, when the wear bars are showing. If you've had water leaks let them know and show them the repairs. Nothing will kill a sale faster than over representing your product, especially when the prospect has driven 300 miles to see it.

Point out the warts in addition to the good points in your rig and you will find a buyer willing to deal with you.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:05 AM   #9

Tennessee
New to the forum, I plan to order a 3970 this week, I have a few questions for everybody before placing the order. Dealer mentioned that it would take about 10 weeks or so before delivery.

We (wife and two boys) plan to live in it full time (2013 Chevy 3500 HD DRW) and may or may not follow the sun during the year. I retire from the Navy shortly after 26 years and now it's payback time to the family.

Questions:
1. Plan to order Dual Pane Windows, I was told by Dutchmen it would only add about 300LBS
2. Covers for the fantastic fans - if so, recommendations
3. PDI check list for a fifth wheeler or toy hauler
4. Looking at having the dealer add a LP gas quick-disconnect in the kitchen for a Wave heater down the road. - thoughts.
5. Adding the 3 season patio doors, great for those nice days.

Thanks for the help and appreciate any ideas,
ldo2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #10

Oklahoma
I doubt if you will realize any comfort difference in the double pane windows. The 300 lbs could be used for something else. Thin walls and floors in the slides will negate any gain by a double window.

PDI without a doubt. Don't let the dealer rush you or pressure you to overlook things. If he gets in your hair ask him to step outside while you do your PDI. It's your money being spent, not his.

I had a Wave heater many years ago but I had wall space for it. I have two spaces where on would go on this unit but it would be in the way of doors. Also, that's propane being used and if you dry camp it becomes a cost benefit thing.

Covers for fans are nice if you plan on leaving them open while away for the day. They are one more thing up there in the sun and just waiting for that low hanging branch.

Many thoughts on the three season doors. Some have them, some want them and some don't care. It's one more thing that has to be secured and stored.

Good luck on the new rig and get ready to get confused with the other comments to your questions.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #11

Texas
I have been waiting for the 3970 to arrive for some time now. We finally got to walk through one last weekend. My wife loves the layout.

I don't know much about the double pane windows but would agree with the previous poster that other deficiencies would negate the benefits.

I have covers for my fans but I haven't installed them yet. It has not been a priority because we just don't seem to get temps that allow for the use of them long enough. It's either too hot or too cold.

We did a thorough PDI. I pulled a list of the net. I made the mistake of doing it on a Friday afternoon. Never again. Next time it will be a Monday morning so I'm not anxious to take it camping and they aren't anxious to go home. Gives them all week to fix any issues as well.

I use space heaters since I don't dry camp so no need for the gas connection.

I want the 3,season doors. I'm trying to get them on my current trailer but it isn't looking good. They will be on my next one.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:46 PM   #12

Oklahoma
To the OP, have you asked about consigning your rig at the dealer? When I purchased my 3905 at the dealer, there was a 3985 there that was 2 yrs old on the lot. I was originally interested in that trailer, but the dealer came within $8K of the price of the used one, so I got the 2013 with the warranty, and we liked the 3905 better. The dealer knows about the trailer and he can show it to people all day long, keeping you from having to do it. If you tell them you are going to buy as soon as you sell your old one, they might be inspired to sell it quickly.
macman83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #13

Missouri
I'm looking at Voltages on line to buy. I use Craigslist and RV Trader for my searches. I've found at least 2 scams. (1 guy has posted a TH all over the midwest and has a phishing site for Amazon Payments, BEWARE!!!)

PICTURES, pictures, PICTURES. Of the unit please, not from the brochure or web site, the actual unit. Be honest with the condition. Most do ask for a '10' price and I return with a '2-3' price. It's human nature I guess.

You have to remember this is a large purchase for most and usually not entered into lightly. I've been looking for 5 years (waiting for kids to head to college...).

You're going to get tire kickers and bargain hunters but there is someone out there willing to pay a fair price for your trailer. Trading in eliminates the looky loos but you get less $$$.

Good luck in selling your unit.

TRFD is offline   Reply With Quote