Schwintek slide problem - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2014, 01:41 AM   #1

Ontario
Schwintek slide problem

2012 3905. Bedroom slide problem: one motor would not crank out. Worked fine prepping for trip, then failed once we arrived at camp later that same day. Schwintek Controller blinking lights indicate code 8 *HALL SIG NOT PRESENT". Manual says that means "Encoder is not providing a signal. Usually a wiring problem". Anyone experience this problem? Approach taken to diagnose it? What was the fix? Thanks fellow Volty fans. (I'd like to try fixing myself first before taking it to dealer... and risk losing the rig for ?? weeks).

2010 Yamaha YZ125
mikesnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Rather than using a mechanical limit switch a Hall effect switch is used to limit the travel of your slides. The Hall effect switch is when a magnetic field is broken, sending a signal to a controller.

Unfortunately, I don't know where the switch or wiring is located. I would look in the corners of the slides and start tracing wires. It could be something as simple as a loose wire or switch.

The above, assuming everything, is just a SWAG except for the operation of the Hall switch.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #3

Ontario
Update to my Schwintek slide problem... The short story: Had to bring it to a dealer. They replaced the slide motor. All good now.

The longer story: I tried to troubleshoot myself, first. I placed controller in manual mode but still no movement of slide using remote or wall switch. Disconnected wires (to disengage "electric braking") and tried to push it out - WOULD NOT BUDGE!. Luckily the slide was stuck in, so at least we could still use the rig (but with limited access to wardrobe). Brought it to the dealer after the trip. Tech explained he had to manually push slide out to be able to access motor release screw, which is only accessible from outside. Kicker is, he needed extra manpower to help push out the slide. He said the motors are very high ratio, meaning one has to push A LOT to move it A LITTLE. He only moved it out 6-8 inches to access the motor release screw, then actually removed the motor from the inside. A meter test determined the motor had actually failed (unlike the controller code documentation, which said "most likely loose wire"). Glad we have the extended warranty, which covered the parts and labour. However (as I anticipated) I had to leave it with them for a month.

PS: thanks kindly Sundancer87 for the feedback. One comment to my post, but over 200 views. Interesting. Wonder if that means few have had this problem (in order to offer a fix suggestion) but many are keeping an eye on this topic in nervous anticipation? Happy camping Volty fans, and Schwintek slide owners alike.
2010 Yamaha YZ125
mikesnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:49 PM   #4

Oklahoma
PS: thanks kindly Sundancer87 for the feedback. One comment to my post, but over 200 views. Interesting. Wonder if that means few have had this problem (in order to offer a fix suggestion) but many are keeping an eye on this topic in nervous anticipation? Happy camping Volty fans, and Schwintek slide owners alike

A few of us have had problems with the slides, in particular for me, back in February and 4 1/2 operations until the latest failure, last week. I'm due back to the dealer for another round of repairs/replacement in early August.
I full time so it sux big to have to relocate for each failure of this failure.

The slides in the Palazzo's are problematic also. This is a diesel pusher motor home built by Thor industries. The Voltage isn't the only victim of this problem.

You can bet lots of members are watching the two or three threads regarding puked up slides by Schwintek and Dutchman.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #5

Oklahoma
The Hall signal not present nag, and the final diagnosis tells me a trigger has to pass through the switch to send a signal to the controller. It stands to reason if the motor is not working the signal isn't being sent.
A little lesson learned here. The Hall sensor nag most likely means a dead motor which could be coded out as 'no motor operation', something less covert but not as technically interesting.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:45 PM   #6

Indiana
My DW and I had been looking at the Palazzo MH's. We immediately found out, as Sundancer said, it's a Thor product with Schwintec slides. RED FLAG! We got online and started checking the reviews on the Palazzo. The slides come up as the problem child.
Really sad, that Schwintec has created such a bad name around the campfire.

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:10 PM   #7

Oklahoma
I spoke with Mike Schwindaman of Schwintek last year when my slide took a dump the first time.

Nice guy to talk with on the phone and he seemed very concerned about the problem with the system. He also said he wanted to make sure mine was repaired to my satisfaction. However I think he said his company was no longer the manufacturer of the system. Also, once any product leaves the manufacturer it's encumbent upon the end manufacturer to install the product correctly.

I don't know where Lippert resides in this daisy chain but perhaps they are distributors while, as we all know, the blind installers at Dutchman attempt to make the installs last until the warranty period is over.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:04 AM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
I spoke with Mike Schwindaman of Schwintek last year when my slide took a dump the first time.

Nice guy to talk with on the phone and he seemed very concerned about the problem with the system. He also said he wanted to make sure mine was repaired to my satisfaction. However I think he said his company was no longer the manufacturer of the system. Also, once any product leaves the manufacturer it's encumbent upon the end manufacturer to install the product correctly.

I don't know where Lippert resides in this daisy chain but perhaps they are distributors while, as we all know, the blind installers at Dutchman attempt to make the installs last until the warranty period is over.
Sorry your going through this again! After going to the factory .... sucks to say the least. I've removed one of the recliners out of living room slide to reduce weight, dry lubed as directed, keep tracks clean, slide sides kept nice and slick, rubber seals treated with 303... blah blah blah. Guess it dont matter. Our summer is booked and we just booked 3 months in Florida this winter. I would hate to think when prepping to leave this mechanism would fail. I may go ahead and just order 2 motors and have them at the ready just in case... better yet, figure out a way to byass their system all together. Thinking caps needed.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Slim man, it doesn't make much difference what one does to or with these things. My repair lasted 5 months, sitting still. We shouldn't have to baby a mechanism to ensure that it will work.

Dry lube, grease, Vaseline, or KY won't fix a latent engineering problem. It's not always the motors that just die. The gear and rack get out of sync and start to eat themselves. That's where the slide get all jacked up in the rig.

Even if it was a motor, your chances of having the slide stop in just the right position to access the motor for replacement is a crap shoot too. Might as well save your bucks for a mobile mechanic.

I know this isn't warm and fuzzy news but it is reality with these things.

I wish there was a facebook page or a twitter account the wasn't connected to the manufacturer, a place that is in the public view instead of a monitored forum. A place that had public exposure to these slide problems, a place that would stand as a warning to potential buyers of the non-slide slides, a place that might cause a public outcry to force the manufature to resolve this problem once and for all.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #10

North Carolina
Though my unit hasn't failed technically, I did notice it was a bit awkward in it's smoothness to open and close.

I took it to the dealer and they told me that they're just going to replace EVERYTHING in that slide with updated parts.

Apparently, there is a hodgepodge of parts that have been updated here and there. The problem has been, when you take your trailer in, they replace one piece at a time and most of the time it's a piece either retrofitted or from a previous batch of parts that don't work correctly. (so it was explained to me)

Point is, they're replacing the entire sliding assy supposedly so we'll see if that works.

Mark
orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:36 PM   #11

Tennessee
The bedroom slide on my 2013 3200 is having trouble also. The problem appears to be a water leak causing the osb floor to swell or become soft. The slid will not fully retract unless I push from the outside while my wife holds the switch. I have never noticed a leak from inside e the camper. Even pulling the bottom drawers out to see the floor from inside there is no evidence of water damage. I have tried to locate the leak and found the outer facia at the bottom of the slide was leaking. Although, i believe this to be a symptom of the original leak. the facia had pulled away from the caulking due to the floor board swelling. it might be possible that the window leaked water behind the fiberglass side, down the inner side of the wall and the in contact with the floor board edge. I caulked the window (i couldn't find ay evidence of factory caulking.) I have tried using a garden hose to re create the leak, but have been unable to. ORANGECRUSH if you look at the underside of your slide and pay close attention to the areas that track directly on the rollers that support the weight. If you see any damage or areas that appear worn or broken, then the only way to permanently repair the slide is to replace the floor board. Mine look like this

Good luck and let us all know how this works out for you
Coolbaldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 10:36 PM   #12

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
Though my unit hasn't failed technically, I did notice it was a bit awkward in it's smoothness to open and close.

I took it to the dealer and they told me that they're just going to replace EVERYTHING in that slide with updated parts.

Apparently, there is a hodgepodge of parts that have been updated here and there. The problem has been, when you take your trailer in, they replace one piece at a time and most of the time it's a piece either retrofitted or from a previous batch of parts that don't work correctly. (so it was explained to me)

Point is, they're replacing the entire sliding assy supposedly so we'll see if that works.

Mark

What year is your unit? I have a 2013 3200 and was told I have the updated slide motors. I was told the updated motors move slower and have more torque.
4wlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:13 PM   #13

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wlow View Post
What year is your unit? I have a 2013 3200 and was told I have the updated slide motors. I was told the updated motors move slower and have more torque.
Updated/upgraded motors don't mean jack, the problems are more than the motor.

All four of my motors work but I have a slide that's off plumb by six inches due to a motor gear and drive track disagreement.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:27 PM   #14

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wlow View Post
My 3950 is 2014.

Quote:
Updated/upgraded motors don't mean jack, the problems are more than the motor.

All four of my motors work but I have a slide that's off plumb by six inches due to a motor gear and drive track disagreement.

That's exactly why the service rep said they're replacing EVERYTHING... not just the motors. He said the entire assy will need to be replaced to have everything updated.

Mark
Old 08-03-2014, 11:38 PM   #15

Tennessee
Hey Mark, "Orangecrush", which slide is acting out? You have three correct? My guess, the large one? Thanks.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:44 PM   #16

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2b View Post
Hey Mark, "Orangecrush", which slide is acting out? You have three correct? My guess, the large one? Thanks.
Yes and yes....

Mark
Old 08-04-2014, 12:42 AM   #17

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
My 3950 is 2014.

That's exactly why the service rep said they're replacing EVERYTHING... not just the motors. He said the entire assy will need to be replaced to have everything updated.

Mark
I had two motors and one complete track replaced in February that failed last month. It will be interesting as to what the updated assembly will be.

Camper2B showed us a photo of a new class A with the same track system except there were two rails to the upper track. Maybe that's the updated system. Still the same design essentially so maybe that's the work around. I'll know probably later this month as I have an appointment for next Monday to repair my 6/60 repair from February.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:03 AM   #18

North Carolina
Quote:
I had two motors and one complete track replaced in February that failed last month. It will be interesting as to what the updated assembly will be.

Camper2B showed us a photo of a new class A with the same track system except there were two rails to the upper track. Maybe that's the updated system. Still the same design essentially so maybe that's the work around. I'll know probably later this month as I have an appointment for next Monday to repair my 6/60 repair from February.
I'll try to let ya'll know. The parts have been ordered, they told me it's about a 3 day job.

Guess we'll see....

Mark
Old 08-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #19

Oklahoma
Good luck Mark, I am hopeful they have the answer now.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #20

North Carolina
Thanks… but realistically, I'm not expecting this to be a one time deal…LOL.

Mark