Schwintek slide problem - Page 3 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2014, 05:43 PM   #41

Washington
Went out and looked at mine. The corner has a cover plate over it. The corner itself has part of the seal involved with it. I think the cover could be removed and a hole cut large enough to give a little wiggle room but not involve the seal. After whatever work is accomplished the cover is put back on and it should look almost good as new.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #42

Oklahoma
Good job Jeff! Then you think it's a doable modification for future access then?

My hauler is secured at the dealer in Tulsa so I can't look for myself. I wonder what the dealers do in this case? As a side note, my slide wouldn't extend all the way so the tech had to cut the drive shaft into several pieces just to get the slide to move.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #43

Washington
[QUOTE=sundancer 87;18861
My hauler is secured at the dealer in Tulsa so I can't look for myself. I wonder what the dealers do in this case? As a side note, my slide wouldn't extend all the way so the tech had to cut the drive shaft into several pieces just to get the slide to move.[/QUOTE]

It just keeps getting better doesn't it? Yeh, I think it's very doable. You would still be cutting just a hole but I think it could be big enough to work through. If you take off the whole corner you'd be involving the seal. With the corner plate back in place and sealed properly you wouldn't even notice it.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:32 PM   #44

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawpilot View Post
It just keeps getting better doesn't it? Yeh, I think it's very doable. You would still be cutting just a hole but I think it could be big enough to work through. If you take off the whole corner you'd be involving the seal. With the corner plate back in place and sealed properly you wouldn't even notice it.
Sooo, do we pre drill or wait until failure? Maybe at least center punch whereas as to align area to be drilled with motor set screw. Nothing like being off an inch or two when trying to do it with slide closed. Adding factors such as stress, teed off, these wont help things either.

And Robert, how did the dealer mechanics get enough room to cut that shaft in two or three pieces on your slide?
Old 09-08-2014, 02:10 AM   #45

Oklahoma
Slim, the slide would come out a few inches before it would start eating itself. When we retracted it the gears jumping track actually shook the side of the hauler. Made a hell of a noise but we figured it was time to go big or stay home so we let her rip.

How he managed to get a sawsall in there to cut the drive rod still has me puzzled as I have looked it there and haven't seen much room for anything.

They cut the rod, the parts were still on the ground under the hauler and he simply grabbed one corner of the slide and pulled it out a few inches. Then he just pushed it back in after he showed me what he wanted me to see. I suppose one could move a slide through its travel if the motors were popped and the drive rods and gears weren't present. Just like the videos show, yeah, sure.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:29 AM   #46

New Mexico
How about a class action lawsuit against the bums that make trailers with such inferior quality? Chinese tires, unproven slide systems, documented failures from the factory concerning the self leveling jacks, front caps that are fading at an alarming rate and the list goes on and on.
72mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:18 AM   #47

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72mach View Post
How about a class action lawsuit against the bums that make trailers with such inferior quality? Chinese tires, unproven slide systems, documented failures from the factory concerning the self leveling jacks, front caps that are fading at an alarming rate and the list goes on and on.
YOU MIGHT BE ON TO SOMETHING THERE. I have also had issue with my our rig.
GOLDENYEARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #48

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2b View Post
Sooo, do we pre drill or wait until failure? Maybe at least center punch whereas as to align area to be drilled with motor set screw. Nothing like being off an inch or two when trying to do it with slide closed. Adding factors such as stress, teed off, these wont help things either.
I'm thinking drilling the pilot hole would be a good idea. But i'd do it with the slide open and set it up for the largest hole that wouldn't interfere with the seal. But if you're going to go that far you might as well go all the way and cut the full sized hole. Do it all with the slide open so there's no chance of hitting the seal or coach wall. Structurally I don't see a downside and after the corner cover is replaced and sealed you won't be able to tell. Mine is for sale and I'm not doing much updating or I'd probably go out and do it.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #49

Oklahoma
Today there is a thread from a 2014 Winnebago Journey owner having slide problems -- one response on the thread says, "take it to Iowa" -- and "there are 20 some coaches with issues here" ---

So as Jack Arnold says, the problems are not unique to the Thor Palazzo. It is stated that the Winnebago Journey has the same Lippert and Schewintek slide mechanisms.
---End Quote---

Well my 2011 Winnebago Journey Express has (BIG) Power Gear slide motors and tracks, all underneath and super strong. Works fantastic, level or not, jacks down or up, never had the slightest problem.

IMO Those Lippert/Schewintek slide mechanisms are Junk! glad I don't has them on my coach!

This doesn't make me feel any better but I guess it could be worse.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:25 AM   #50

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Today there is a thread from a 2014 Winnebago Journey owner having slide problems -- one response on the thread says, "take it to Iowa" -- and "there are 20 some coaches with issues here" ---

So as Jack Arnold says, the problems are not unique to the Thor Palazzo. It is stated that the Winnebago Journey has the same Lippert and Schewintek slide mechanisms.
---End Quote---

Well my 2011 Winnebago Journey Express has (BIG) Power Gear slide motors and tracks, all underneath and super strong. Works fantastic, level or not, jacks down or up, never had the slightest problem.

IMO Those Lippert/Schewintek slide mechanisms are Junk! glad I don't has them on my coach!

This doesn't make me feel any better but I guess it could be worse.

Whats the latest status...on yours Robert? I was also entertaining the thought of relocating high torque motors and move them to the bottom of the slide with access under slide without interference. Reengineerring of course. Modification would be in order and possibly a manual override much simpler than the existing design. I almost think motors would work more efficiently since thats where most of the torque is needed as fas as weight is concerned. Motors could be protected with a little re design... easier To remove... so on... in the thought process at the moment. Other ideas welcomed. The 3 track issue would have to be re- evaluated as well during modification.....
Old 10-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #51

Oklahoma
Still waiting Slim. Could be any day now the dealer will call and tell me my ****tek slide problems are over.

I believe that so much that I'll be closing on a small house and an acre to park the hauler on. I'll rehab the house and live in the hauler, then, if it pukes it can stay where it is and I'll use it for storage.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:39 AM   #52

Texas
I noticed some flashing lights in my basement this weekend. It was the slide controller, 6 red / 2 green = Motor Short Circuit / Motor 2. I tried the slides and they all retracted / extended without a problem but the lights kept flashing until I unplugged & flipped the battery disconnect. I extended / retracted the slides when I got home cleaning up and didn't have another error code.

I'm not sure if I even have a short, but I am sure I wouldn't know where to look?

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 02:50 AM   #53

Washington
Sounds like stray electrons got loose and caused your error codes. Dis connecting the battery and resetting the battery switch apparently rebooted the controller chip. You probably don't have a problem until it stops working.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:09 PM   #54

Virginia
schwintek gone? for 2015

have the schwintek slides been eliminated from the Dutchman voltage for 2015?

Mark
mark33swm@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:34 PM   #55

California
Seems to depend upon what model & when built. They aren't the only manufacture using the schwintek slide system. My brother has it on his TT made by Crossroads
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:43 AM   #56

Virginia
schwintek slides?

thanks for your reply. Do you know of any other brand names that use the schwintek so I can avoid them also.

Thanks,

Mark
mark33swm@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:43 AM   #57

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark33swm@aol.com View Post
Do you know of any other brand names that use the schwintek so I can avoid them also.
My friend has a 2015 Tiffin Allegro Bus. Two of his slides are schwintek. You better steer clear of the Tiffin product line.
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:36 AM   #58
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark33swm@aol.com View Post
thanks for your reply. Do you know of any other brand names that use the schwintek so I can avoid them also.

Thanks,

Mark
Schwintek wasn't the problem. I know Lance uses them and has had very few issues with them. The Schwintek is well designed system, but it has a very close tolerance parameter. Unfortunately the blind installers at Dutchmen have a problem getting things square and within a 2"-3" tolerance. I think that has more to do with the issues than anything else.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:26 PM   #59

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Schwintek wasn't the problem. I know Lance uses them and has had very few issues with them. The Schwintek is well designed system, but it has a very close tolerance parameter. Unfortunately the blind installers at Dutchmen have a problem getting things square and within a 2"-3" tolerance. I think that has more to do with the issues than anything else.

Aaron
Aaron and all others - I have to agree with this statement. I had one relatively minor issue with my bedroom slide and not at all due to it being Schwintek. I use it alot and no problems!
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:25 PM   #60

Texas
I've not had any problems with my slides, but during my last service visit to fix/repair my couch issues, I asked the techs what they were using for lubrication and they all said that the manufacturer was recommending lemon Pledge. Just spray it on the track, let it sit for a minute and slide it in and out a couple of times. I tried it and it really worked well. Much smoother operation than previously. Just throwin' that out there. I didn't see this mentioned in the thread.

Txchief is offline   Reply With Quote