Schwintek Issue Info from Today... - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2015, 09:22 PM   #1

Wyoming
Schwintek Issue Info from Today...

Just thought I'd pass this info on...

A neighbor here at the RV park had an interesting issue today with the Schwintek slide on their 3-week old new RV. It was a small Forrest River Class C unit with one driver-side slide, and one rear-facing slide. As they were packing up to depart... the side slide retracted as usual, but the rear slide didn't work at all.

The owners were a couple in their mid 60s, and this was their first ever RV... and first ever RV trip. Needless to say, they were not happy.

By the time I found out about it, a few others had already come over to prod & poke... but no one knew anything to do. So I began my limited check-list:

* Check fuse panel... fuse good.

* Check module for a flashing code... no flashes at all, unit appeared dead.

* Check module for incoming power... test light found good power.

* Tried initiating an electronic override to pull the slide in... no joy.

* Began process of manual override... found a Robinson-head screw, and no one (including me) had a Robinson bit driver. And try as we may, we could not get a Phillips, JIS, TORX, or Hex driver to work. You'd think that we could've gotten a bit with something in the square hole... but no joy with anything I had. That screw is in there TIGHT!

(This last one was/is kinda embarrassing for me... as I know I had one, but must have left it in Carolina. You can bet I'll be remedying that situation ASAP.)

Not wanting to do anything that might void the warranty on their new unit... neither they nor I were all that keen on trying to swap the modules, so they were kinda stuck. A trip to Lowes, Home Depot, and the local ACE hardware store all produced ZERO results on finding a Robinson-bit driver! They were either sold out, or didn't carry one... not even in their multi-bit driver units. Just our luck.

Long story short.. after calling a fleet of mobile RV techs earlier, with none them being able to come out this morning... one finally made his way over here about 30 mins ago. Diagnosis was that the control module was completely rusted out, with standing water inside the unit. Evidently, the rig had a leak somewhere.

So anyway, the slide is back in, and they are now on their way back home to return the unit to the dealer for repairs.

Lesson learned for me:

BUY A ROBINSON DRIVER for my tool kit!

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:51 PM   #2

Kentucky
Im going to buy one also. kinda like American express don't leave without one thanks.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:43 PM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
Most of the current crop of RV's are assembled with the Roberston screws. I use a Klein 11-in-1 for about 90% of my handheld driver duties. I actually have 6 of these tools. One in each vehicle, one in the camper, one in the house and one in the shop. The #2 square drive is close enough to the Roberston for government work.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:22 AM   #4

Maryland
I always use a #2 square bit...didn't know there was an actual name for the screw, other than the long list of name calling that ensues every time I have to deal with those stupid mother.....

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:17 PM   #5

Ontario
Need a Robertson screwdriver? Find a Canadian. We don't use those rotten Phillips things.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:47 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebedford View Post
Need a Robertson screwdriver? Find a Canadian. We don't use those rotten Phillips things.
Don't believe in warm water either...

Aaron
Old 11-11-2015, 03:26 PM   #7

Ontario
Warm water? Sure we do. Maybe not warm weather.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebedford View Post
Warm water? Sure we do. Maybe not warm weather.
After seeing a bunch of them swimming in a unheated swimming pool in South Carolina in December?

Aaron
Old 11-11-2015, 08:30 PM   #9

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
I always use a #2 square bit...didn't know there was an actual name for the screw, other than the long list of name calling that ensues every time I have to deal with those stupid mother.....

Ha! I hear ya...

Here's my go-to illustration when I need to find an odd driver... and even it leaves a few of them off. Most notable to me is Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS), which looks like a Phillips, but is slightly different, and used on most Honda motorcycles. Fastest way to strip the head off on a Honda brake reservoir lid screw is to use a Phillips instead of a JIS.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 11-11-2015, 09:02 PM   #10

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Ha! I hear ya...

Here's my go-to illustration when I need to find an odd driver... and even it leaves a few of them off. Most notable to me is Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS), which looks like a Phillips, but is slightly different, and used on most Honda motorcycles. Fastest way to strip the head off on a Honda brake reservoir lid screw is to use a Phillips instead of a JIS.

Thanks for the pic...printing and putting in the tool box. Two notes, I have a set with almost all of those, picked the set up at Harbor Freight for $5...not high quality, but good enough...

Had a 2007 VT750, know exactly what you are talking about with those silly screws.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:41 PM   #11

Ontario
I don't see any metric screwdrivers in your diagram.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:33 AM   #12

Michigan
Interesting! So I've dealt with Frearson most of my life while cursing that poor Philip guy!
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:40 AM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Don't believe in warm water either...

Aaron
Yes we do, we like warm water in our hot tubs.

I keep looking at ATCguys location and think only if it was about sixty-five we could stand the heat. Might have to spend all day having a Siesta on the shady side of the camper though.

The Robertson screw was one of the greatest Canadian inventions ever. The biggest problem is trying to find decent bits. I still have a couple of bits that are about thirty years old, can't find them anymore, Made in the USA and has a hardened tip. Had a Phillips from the same era and it broke my heart whem one of the teeth broke off when I left the clutch on 20.

I like the screws with the combo heads that can be driven by either a Phillips or Robertson bit. I find the Phillips bits have a better bite on these.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 03:00 PM   #14

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Yes we do, we like warm water in our hot tubs.

I keep looking at ATCguys location and think only if it was about sixty-five we could stand the heat. Might have to spend all day having a Siesta on the shady side of the camper though.
Hey, the temps here are just about perfect now. The 100+-degree days are gone. Still a bit windy though...

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 11-14-2015, 06:46 AM   #15

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Hey, the temps here are just about perfect now. The 100+-degree days are gone. Still a bit windy though...

OK, you have almost convinced me. How long will it stay around sixty-five?

This could work, the way our dollar is going our, NASCAR tour next year just might go from about 15k and 5-6 races to somewhere around 5K, 1 race and maybe a couple of months in BUllhead City.

Know I need to know what the parks are like and what the rates are. Are there spots that you can get from Nov to mid Jan.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote