Schwintec Slide problems!!!!! - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-02-2016, 11:08 PM   #1
Member
 
Volsfan1nga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bethlehem
Posts: 18
Georgia
Schwintec Slide problems!!!!!

We have a three year old 2013 V3950. Sent to the dealer to find out why the living room and bedroom slide motors were weak and we had to help the slides in and out. Well the dealer finally called back and the floors in both slides are rotted requiring removal and replacement to the tune of $8,500!!! We had purchased the most expensive extended warranty available but it does not cover water damage. Insurance says the same. And Dutchmen today told the dealer they will not cover it even though it is CLEARLY a design flaw! The dealer showed us the damage AND how it happened. Be warned if you have a 2013 or 2014 Voltage Toy Hauler you are in for some VERY BAD NEWS soon as these are the two years affected.

Needless to say Dutchmen will never get another penny from us. And I will be visiting any RV shows to voice my opinion at their displays. After we fix this one we are trading it in and get one that the company actually stands behind.

__________________

Volsfan1nga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:14 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Benton
Posts: 150
Tennessee
After we fix this one we are trading it in and get one that the company actually stands behind.

[/QUOTE]
Let us know when you find one.
__________________

__________________
2015 V 3305
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6-speed manual
2002 Goldwing Trike
2012 EZ-GO 2FIVE LSV 2014 Gem E4 LSV
3wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:02 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,842
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volsfan1nga View Post
We have a three year old 2013 V3950. Sent to the dealer to find out why the living room and bedroom slide motors were weak and we had to help the slides in and out. Well the dealer finally called back and the floors in both slides are rotted requiring removal and replacement to the tune of $8,500!!! We had purchased the most expensive extended warranty available but it does not cover water damage. Insurance says the same. And Dutchmen today told the dealer they will not cover it even though it is CLEARLY a design flaw! The dealer showed us the damage AND how it happened. Be warned if you have a 2013 or 2014 Voltage Toy Hauler you are in for some VERY BAD NEWS soon as these are the two years affected.

Needless to say Dutchmen will never get another penny from us. And I will be visiting any RV shows to voice my opinion at their displays. After we fix this one we are trading it in and get one that the company actually stands behind.

What did the dealer show as the cause of the problem.
__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:17 AM   #4
Member
 
mikesnider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 46
Ontario
Sorry to hear about your slide woes, Geoffery (Volsfan1nga).


I also have water finding its way to the outer edge of my bedroom slide osb floor. Still trying to determine exactly how. Arrgghh. (ie. either a leak in the slide trim/facia? or rain water tracing the the aluminum lower gear rack? -- in either case, exposing the osb edge to water which it absorbs... leading to a soft and swollen slide floor). But my investigation is on hold till Spring...


(echoing Sundancer who just beat me to hitting send...) You stated that "The dealer showed us the damage AND how it happened." Able to elaborate the dealer's theory? And any pics? -- Much appreciated.
__________________
2012 Voltage 3905 EPIC
2012 Ram 3500HD CTD CC LB DRW 4x4
2011 Suzuki RMZ250F
2010 Yamaha YZ125
mikesnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:19 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Tucson
Posts: 744
Arizona
What was the cause of the floors rotting?
__________________
2014 Voltage 3600
2013 Chevy 3500 CC DRW
2011 Harley Ultra Limited 2016 RZR 900
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #6
Site Team
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sprung Leak
Posts: 3,138
North Carolina
Can't find the link at the moment, however there are multiple cases where the Schwintek slides were installed incorrectly. IIRC there is supposed to be a little rubber/plastic end plug to keep water from migrating into the coach. However given Dutchmen's track record anything is possible.

Aaron
__________________
There is madness to my methods
2015 Coleman CM16FBS(traded) 2016 Concord 300DS
2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:19 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
donzinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,447
Michigan
I read about this issue very shortly after buying ours and did some looking to find that the bedroom slide lower trim is held in place by several screws along the bottom - mine were all broken off. Heads were still in place but all broken off causing the trim to sag on the outside and tear the caulk. I added double the number of stainless screws and recaulked. No issues as of yet and dealer even commented on the fix when we took it in for warranty work.
__________________
2014-3950, Full Paint, 17.5" tires, 370W solar, 3100W Magnum inverter w/ AGS, 7500w diesel generator, Micro-Air Easy Start 364 (x3)
2019 Ram 3500 Limited w/ Max Tow pkg
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:39 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Lenoir
Posts: 130
North Carolina
DO NOT TURN TO HEARTLAND. THE CYCLONE I HAVE NOW IS COMPLETE JUNK ! AND THEY WILL NOT STAND BEHIND IT AT ALL... I EVEN OFFERD TO TAKE IT TO THE FACTORY ! STILL NO !

and i have a close friend we camp with for the last 4 years, with a heartland elkridge...the screws are popping off the roof Joyce's. ( this was this past Saturday, and he just got the call yesterday) heartland says: water is THE ONLY THING THAT COULD CAUSE THAT TO HAPPEN AND WE WONT HELP IN ANY WAY.

NOW. THIS IS A F T E R, LOOKING AT A PICTURE OF THE INSIDE OF THE ROOF AFTER THE DEALER REMOVED THE SKYLIGHT.!! SHOWED N O, EVIDENCE OF WATER. NO DISCOLORATION. NO WARPING. PICTURE SHOWS ONLY "ONE!" SCREW IN 3' VIEW ! don't know how they plan to bend a sheet of plywood without screwing it down! has not ripped the roof "YET".

this is a 10 month old unit, and he is original owner !

I'M SICK OVER THIS ! AND ITS NOT EVEN MINE !
SO TIRED OF HEARING THIS TYPE OF STORY !
hopkins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:50 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Lenoir
Posts: 130
North Carolina
never joined the heartland forum.. but in reading it, there quite a few people that say heartland called water damage, ---before--- even seeing any pictures, or talking it ti a dealer !!!!

i have also ben to a heartland rally... heard this same story from a guy we where camped beside. AND HE BOUGHT ANOTHER ONE !!! INSANE !
hopkins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,842
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Can't find the link at the moment, however there are multiple cases where the Schwintek slides were installed incorrectly. IIRC there is supposed to be a little rubber/plastic end plug to keep water from migrating into the coach. However given Dutchmen's track record anything is possible.

Aaron
Yep, several causes for this problem but I'm more interested in what the dealer 'said' caused it.
__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:35 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Lenoir
Posts: 130
North Carolina
That slide out mechanism was the only reason I didn't buy a voltage when we bought this cyclone
hopkins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:54 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Thom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Youngstown
Posts: 643
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volsfan1nga View Post
We have a three year old 2013 V3950. Sent to the dealer to find out why the living room and bedroom slide motors were weak and we had to help the slides in and out. Well the dealer finally called back and the floors in both slides are rotted requiring removal and replacement to the tune of $8,500!!! We had purchased the most expensive extended warranty available but it does not cover water damage. Insurance says the same. And Dutchmen today told the dealer they will not cover it even though it is CLEARLY a design flaw! The dealer showed us the damage AND how it happened. Be warned if you have a 2013 or 2014 Voltage Toy Hauler you are in for some VERY BAD NEWS soon as these are the two years affected.

Needless to say Dutchmen will never get another penny from us. And I will be visiting any RV shows to voice my opinion at their displays. After we fix this one we are trading it in and get one that the company actually stands behind.

And how is it determined that it is just those years?

After my 14 months of ownership, with 13 of those months out of service because it is in for repairs, I fully understand your frustration....
__________________
Thom & Rose
DD-250 ALUMNI
The problem child: 2014 Voltage 3950
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #13
Member
 
mikesnider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 46
Ontario
I think the Schwintec in-wall system is a good product (its even used in higher end Class A machines), but too-often wrongly fingered as the culprit in cases where it simply was not installed correctly... and/or "basic" quality care is void at assembly with caulking and screw torquing. That's just a Duthchmen Manufacturing problem.


In big picture perspective, we're actuallly very happy with our Voltage 3905 (in spite of my slide issue, which in my own case hasn't been overly burdensome). And in comparison to other problems I've heard/seen with other brands, I'd say my unit is actually pretty darn good... (not that we should have to use "less bad" as a measure, especually given what we paid for the dang thing. <grin>)


As Sundancer noted, I too would like to hear what the dealer said caused the problem for Volsfan1nga. Thanks again.

Mike
__________________
2012 Voltage 3905 EPIC
2012 Ram 3500HD CTD CC LB DRW 4x4
2011 Suzuki RMZ250F
2010 Yamaha YZ125
mikesnider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:32 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
donzinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Memphis
Posts: 1,447
Michigan
Agree 100%, Mike
__________________
2014-3950, Full Paint, 17.5" tires, 370W solar, 3100W Magnum inverter w/ AGS, 7500w diesel generator, Micro-Air Easy Start 364 (x3)
2019 Ram 3500 Limited w/ Max Tow pkg
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:36 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
hddecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: kamloops
Posts: 2,152
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesnider View Post
but too-often wrongly fingered as the culprit in cases where it simply was not installed correctly... and/or "basic" quality care is void at assembly with caulking and screw torquing. That's just a Duthchmen Manufacturing problem.

Mike
First thing that Thor needs to do is hire someone that knows what the correct torque value is for the fasteners being used, then train the assembly workers how to use a torque driver.

I gave up counting the number of screws that are nothing but the head and a few threads that grab. On the other side of the coin are the screws that are left loose.
__________________
Jim

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:40 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
sundancer 87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tahlequah
Posts: 2,842
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesnider View Post
I think the Schwintec in-wall system is a good product (its even used in higher end Class A machines), but too-often wrongly fingered as the culprit in cases where it simply was not installed correctly... and/or "basic" quality care is void at assembly with caulking and screw torquing. That's just a Duthchmen Manufacturing problem.


In big picture perspective, we're actuallly very happy with our Voltage 3905 (in spite of my slide issue, which in my own case hasn't been overly burdensome). And in comparison to other problems I've heard/seen with other brands, I'd say my unit is actually pretty darn good... (not that we should have to use "less bad" as a measure, especually given what we paid for the dang thing. <grin>)


As Sundancer noted, I too would like to hear what the dealer said caused the problem for Volsfan1nga. Thanks again.

Mike
The slide system is indeed used in high end Class A motorhomes. However, those owners aren't without slide problems also. By following slide problem threads on a different forum it is apparent that Thor takes better care of those owners than do us. It's not uncommon for these big rigs to get preferential treatment at the factory. Whether it is delivered there by a delivery agent or the owner themselves it seems as if Thor jumps on the problem.

I don't see too many complaints regarding the brush off by a dealer or the manufacturer. Money talks, bull$hit walks as I've been told.
__________________
2013 Voltage 3800, 2012 Chevy 3500 HD
2010 Yamaha V Star 950
2009 Yamaha Raider
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:17 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
DesertRat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Desert Hot Springs
Posts: 1,760
California
And then there are us that haven't had any slide issues. Are we the silent majority.
__________________
Mike
2002 42' Monaco Signature Triple Crown tow 2014 F-150
2014 Voltage V3605 Sold 5/3/17
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:03 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
ATCguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Somewhere on the road...
Posts: 1,301
Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
And then there are us that haven't had any slide issues. Are we the silent majority.
Shhhhh!!!!
(knocking on wood)
__________________
Tom
2013 VOLTAGE 3200 (EPIC I & II)
2014 Ford F-450 PLATINUM
2017 BMW R1200GS Rallye
ATCguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:54 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
wildwest450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sparta
Posts: 1,710
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
And then there are us that haven't had any slide issues. Are we the silent majority.
Or the slideout majority I only have a small dinette slideout, but it has worked flawlessly.
__________________
2014 Aerolite 213 RBSL
2016 Chevrolet Colorado
wildwest450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:13 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Lenoir
Posts: 130
North Carolina
what insurance company covers water damage ! ? seems like that is the only real protection against it. will an insurance company go after the manufacture ? i would love to see some retaliation against heartland... not trying to be negative .. but, they have turned out to be the WORST experience i have -ever- personally had
__________________

hopkins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×