Schwintec Slide problems!!!!! - Page 3 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2016, 10:32 PM   #41

Georgia
Water was getting behind the fascia board, the trim piece around the edge of the slide outer shell. Once it got behind there it had nowhere to go but to the floor.

Volsfan1nga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:56 PM   #42

California
I took the trailer in yesterday to have the slide looked at. It has a broken shoe which is visible in the upper track. As the slide moves, either in or out, the H column twists badly approximately 3/8". The repair facility I took it to does not want to deal with it as the slide will need to be removed to replace the upper bearing block. So today I will be looking for a repair facility that has done the job before and will not keep the coach for months. If I'm unsuccessful in finding a facility, I will probably take it on.

bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:04 PM   #43

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennett View Post
I took the trailer in yesterday to have the slide looked at. It has a broken shoe which is visible in the upper track. As the slide moves, either in or out, the H column twists badly approximately 3/8". The repair facility I took it to does not want to deal with it as the slide will need to be removed to replace the upper bearing block. So today I will be looking for a repair facility that has done the job before and will not keep the coach for months. If I'm unsuccessful in finding a facility, I will probably take it on.
Where are you located? I found a repair facility in VA I am dropping mine off on 20 June for this exact same thing. They said a week at the most and that time is mostly waiting on parts.

Cale
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:11 PM   #44

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
Where are you located? I found a repair facility in VA I am dropping mine off on 20 June for this exact same thing. They said a week at the most and that time is mostly waiting on parts.

Cale
I'm in Nor Cal. June 20th? Are they that busy that they can't get you in any sooner?
Old 04-15-2016, 04:25 PM   #45

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennett View Post
I'm in Nor Cal. June 20th? Are they that busy that they can't get you in any sooner?
They are wide open...we fulltime, the kids will be gone for summer camp (two weeks). This will allow me to drop the Voltage off for repair, while the wife and I use our smaller weekend camper, then get it back fixed before they return. I only picked that day out of personal ease...

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
Old 04-15-2016, 04:26 PM   #46

Maryland
This is the web site I use to look for a good repair facility. I opted for one that takes my extended warranty and is only in the business of fixing RVs. Since I bought our Voltage in CA, dealers here would put me to the back of the line...

RV Service Reviews

Cale

Old 04-15-2016, 04:35 PM   #47

California
Thanks Cale, I will look it over. The first few calls were rather funny with a flat out 'no' to 'Schwintek what' when asked if they work on the slides. Looking at Lippert's website, in their repair manuals, it looks like the slide is not removed but you use the motor to push out the H column-once the exterior screws are removed. Upper and lower bearing blocks are $69.09 for the kit. Having a full workshop, I'm thinking I will go ahead and tackle this or either throw a match in it!
Old 04-15-2016, 10:12 PM   #48

Maryland
Truthfully, the Schwintek system is great, in theory, however, most of the time, the systems are not installed properly. The slide mechanism is simple, very few parts, and cheap...and easy for the end user to repair. I wished Lippert would openly sell the parts to the end user...it is silly that only an authorized dealer/repairman can get the parts, but that person doesn't want to fix the system, or has not taken the time to learn it. All the other slide mechanisms...hydraulics, rack/pinion, cable, etc, are systems that don't have tight tolerances and will work for a long period of time broken, without being fixed.

Not sure where I was going with this...as an aviator, and now engineer, I appreciate electrical components, absurdly high torque on demand, in a package that weighs only a few pounds...thanks RV industry for screwing this up...a lot of folks don't trust the systems now...

Cale

Old 04-22-2016, 03:45 AM   #49

Alberta
Schwintec slide issues

Hello.
After purchasing a used Voltage V3005 I noticed that the main slide operation was a little jerky. A friend has a Voltage also and his seemed to operate the same way so I didn't think it was a big deal. I have only used it a couple of times but have heard some loud popping noises and noticed that the top and the bottom of the slide are no longer flush against the body (sticks out 2-3" more at the bottom) so the gears have jumped in the rails. On closer inspection it looks like most of the shoes are broken/missing so the blocks are binding and digging into the rails and there is excessive wear on the gear rail grooves. It looks like I will have to order a complete rebuild kit and get it rebuilt. My question to everyone that has had this done is are there any upgrades to do at the same time? For example reinforcing the wall frame, adding extra floor rollers, etc.? Thanks
bgherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:28 PM   #50

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgherman View Post
Hello.
After purchasing a used Voltage V3005 I noticed that the main slide operation was a little jerky. A friend has a Voltage also and his seemed to operate the same way so I didn't think it was a big deal. I have only used it a couple of times but have heard some loud popping noises and noticed that the top and the bottom of the slide are no longer flush against the body (sticks out 2-3" more at the bottom) so the gears have jumped in the rails. On closer inspection it looks like most of the shoes are broken/missing so the blocks are binding and digging into the rails and there is excessive wear on the gear rail grooves. It looks like I will have to order a complete rebuild kit and get it rebuilt. My question to everyone that has had this done is are there any upgrades to do at the same time? For example reinforcing the wall frame, adding extra floor rollers, etc.? Thanks
I feel your pain. Having just ordered new bearing blocks, an extra motor and wiring harness, I will be fixing what is broken on my coach.

I believe mine was caused from traveling the wonderful CA road system. When the slide is in, put pressure on it and try to move the slide while standing inside the coach. You will see that the slide bounces quite a bit, at least it does in mine. Traveling down the road, the slide is constantly putting pressure on the bearing blocks which I believe snapped off by upper shoe. After this is fixed and to hopefully prevent any further problems, I am going to start using slide locks, which will put pressure between the slide and wall and hopefully control some of the bouncing that occurs traveling.

Because the upper shoe is broken, it causes the H-column to twist quite a bit when the slide is used. This twisting motion, even when the slide was perfect, still puts pressure on the shoe. I plan on putting a 1.5" to 2" piece of aluminum on the inside of the coach, vertically, with one side being attached to the H-column and the other side being attached to the wall.

We shall see.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:19 PM   #51

Wyoming
After 2 years of good service, I think mine is finally beginning to have issues...

When I left OKC last week, the main slide gave me a good & loud POP! up at the top right (as seen from inside the rig) when I closed it... and upon arrival where I'm at now in the Ozarks, I heard 2 or 3 very loud POPS from the same area as I extended the slide.

Now it should be noted that the slide operated as advertised. It never stopped, never binded, never went askew during the closing or opening processes. But it sure ended like something came loose up there, and was maybe twisting/torquing as the slide was moving. After reading all of the comments in this thread in others, I can only guess that it may be the shoe or the motor block trying to twist itself out of place.

I have no real way to check this, as I'm a solo traveler... and obviously can't operate the slide control switch while simultaneously being outside to peel back the rubber seals & look at the shoe/block.

So at this point I'm hoping that, when I start packing things up to leave here in a few weeks, that it will continue to close as usual, and see what happens next.

Fun, fun, fun...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:46 PM   #52

Nevada
Well, mind is starting to act-up, my slide in the kitchen area is only working on one side, going in or out, sometimes when you push the switch, the motor on one side will start moving, but the other side won't…This has happen a couple times, so I don't know, if I am having a short, or the motor is going out??
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:16 PM   #53

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
After 2 years of good service, I think mine is finally beginning to have issues...

When I left OKC last week, the main slide gave me a good & loud POP! up at the top right (as seen from inside the rig) when I closed it... and upon arrival where I'm at now in the Ozarks, I heard 2 or 3 very loud POPS from the same area as I extended the slide.

Now it should be noted that the slide operated as advertised. It never stopped, never binded, never went askew during the closing or opening processes. But it sure ended like something came loose up there, and was maybe twisting/torquing as the slide was moving. After reading all of the comments in this thread in others, I can only guess that it may be the shoe or the motor block trying to twist itself out of place.

I have no real way to check this, as I'm a solo traveler... and obviously can't operate the slide control switch while simultaneously being outside to peel back the rubber seals & look at the shoe/block.

So at this point I'm hoping that, when I start packing things up to leave here in a few weeks, that it will continue to close as usual, and see what happens next.

Fun, fun, fun...
If the shoe has broken clean off, you should be able to see it in the track with the slide extended.

As far as checking the twisting of the H column, I removed a piece of vertical trim next to the slide, the rubber bulb seal and then peeled back the upper potion of the remaining gasket. This exposed the motor and the upper portion of the H column. Being my wall controller is right across from the broken side of the slide, I was able to watch it move as I was standing inside. This is all done with the slide in.

Good luck!
Old 04-22-2016, 07:19 PM   #54

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
Well, mind is starting to act-up, my slide in the kitchen area is only working on one side, going in or out, sometimes when you push the switch, the motor on one side will start moving, but the other side won't…This has happen a couple times, so I don't know, if I am having a short, or the motor is going out??
Find your controller for that slide and see if it is flashing any codes.

Love Minden by the way. We will be passing through there in July on our way to Mammoth.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:21 PM   #55

Ohio
I had my 3605 our for the first time this year for the Bristol race. When we went to close he living room slide one side moved before the other. Had the same issue after we got home putting the slide out. I did this re-timing procedure and it seems to have fixed it.
-Jeff
Old 04-23-2016, 12:51 AM   #56

Maryland
Tom,

With the slide out, use a ladder to climb up and look at the top track, you will see a black piece sliding within the track, that's your shoe. I have a picture on a thread from last summer...I have continued to use it with no ill effects. I do have mine going in to be fixed in June, during that time, I will have the others looked at also.

I agree with an earlier comment...the roads being the culprit of the broken shoes. Mine started acting up after hitting some hellacious roads in the Midwest.

Hopefully the folks fixing the bearing blocks themselves will report back with some pics, part numbers, and hints on fixit procedures.

Cale

Old 04-23-2016, 02:44 AM   #57

Quebec
Just read this thread in details after posting my slide also broke. Currently under repair.

I understand the slide mainly breaks due to poor installation and the shoes are what breaks most often?

Other then making sure the ride is levelled and there is enough power (shore,truck etc..) are there best practices we should follow? I'm thinking replacing shoes every two years, lubricating the gears etc?

My in laws have the swintech and dealer has created a gutter by making a silicone strip above the rail from the 6th to the 8th teeth (coach side). This prevents water from getting to the end of the rails and going in the rv. I have asked them to do the same on all tracks.
2017 Softail Slim S (FLSS)
HudsonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 03:14 AM   #58

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsense View Post
I just fell victim to this issue. We have a 3818 was a year old in mid august, pulled the camper out three weeks ago and had trouble with the bedroom slide, dealer states floor is swollen! fix is 4600.00 no good faith fix here, going back together with marine grade plywood this time. Very disappointed in both the dealer and Dutchmen, both lack the care and concern in the customer retention department.
That sounds pretty expensive for the work

Mine is currently being repaired. The damage was minimum with a small portion being soft but they decided to replace the entire floor.

They mention it takes about a day to fix. They remove the slides entirely and lay it down on the face. Then they remove the OSB bottom and replace with a quality plywood laminated with an rv black tarp and put it back.

They said it's different when the bed is in the extension as they have to remove the furniture for theses and it adds a day.
2017 Softail Slim S (FLSS)
HudsonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:42 PM   #59

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonFrog View Post
Just read this thread in details after posting my slide also broke. Currently under repair.

I understand the slide mainly breaks due to poor installation and the shoes are what breaks most often?

Other then making sure the ride is levelled and there is enough power (shore,truck etc..) are there best practices we should follow? I'm thinking replacing shoes every two years, lubricating the gears etc?

My in laws have the swintech and dealer has created a gutter by making a silicone strip above the rail from the 6th to the 8th teeth (coach side). This prevents water from getting to the end of the rails and going in the rv. I have asked them to do the same on all tracks.

Can you post some pics of this?

Thanks,
Cale

Old 04-23-2016, 05:42 PM   #60

Nevada
Bennett, I did check the controller and it was flashing a short, but after I got it working, NO more codes flashing, but it still not working all the time, I am now trying to follow the wiring, to see if I can find any wiring not tied down good?? As to Minden, we had a place up in Lake Tahoe, but in 2000 was snowed in for 3 days, so wife wanted us to be a little lower, so we found 5 acres in Minden, Love it here, but wish I didn't have HOA's....Like Fort Bragg, nice area

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote