Schwintec Slide problems!!!!! - Page 6 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2016, 06:21 AM   #101

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebedford View Post
I was contemplating removing my h-rail but it looks to me that they put eternabond between the h-rail and the wall. I couldn't budge it.

What did you have?

My rig is a 2011 3950.
The only sealant was silicone that was used on the edge of the H rail. You will not be able to move the H rail unless you operate the motor. You can not move it just by pulling on it. I have a '14 3905.

bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #102

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennett View Post
The only sealant was silicone that was used on the edge of the H rail. You will not be able to move the H rail unless you operate the motor. You can not move it just by pulling on it. I have a '14 3905.
Yes. The Schwintek repair manual says to use a 2x4 on top of the slide then operate the motor to pull out the h-frame.

Did you pull out both sides at the same time or just one?

joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:40 PM   #103

California
Quote:
Yes. The Schwintek repair manual says to use a 2x4 on top of the slide then operate the motor to pull out the h-frame.

Did you pull out both sides at the same time or just one?
I used a large transmission jack to support the bottom of the slide and I only did one side.
bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:56 PM   #104

Ontario
Has anybody seen this kind of damage on the bottom of their slide? This is the bedroom slide on my 3950. Schinwtek. Looks like the roller might be dragging and pulling the "wood" apart?? It's not punky from water intrusion. Each roller on the bedroom slide is leaving a streak like this but not on the LR and galley slides.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:13 AM   #105

Oklahoma
You might want to rethink the water intrusion idea as I can clearly see rusted screws on the bottom of the facia and what looks like a broken screw.
Several members have had this problem and have dealt with it in different manners.
The conclusion usually ended being water finding its way past the facia and penetrating the floor of the slide.
http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...loor-4232.html
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 01:18 AM   #106

Maryland
My living room slide had water for the longest time. Found it coming in at the end of the rails. There was no sealant and water would just make its way in.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:32 PM   #107

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
My living room slide had water for the longest time. Found it coming in at the end of the rails. There was no sealant and water would just make its way in.
By "rail", do you mean the rack that the drive gear pushes?
Old 07-19-2016, 04:02 PM   #108

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
You might want to rethink the water intrusion idea as I can clearly see rusted screws on the bottom of the facia and what looks like a broken screw.
I just went out and had a close look at the bottom of the bedroom slide: you're right - there's water getting in.

Most of the floor is solid but right where the rollers are it's a tiny bit soft. There was actually a drop of water on the metal fascia right at two of the rollers. This is a really big surprise as we have had essentially no rain here this summer.

I can see that the caulking has separated from the fascia on the exterior - certainly one possible source of water incursion.

I guess I'll pull it off and see what's what. I might add slip in rollers beside where the 'wood' is punky.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:06 PM   #109

Michigan
The fascia caulking separating means the fascia has dropped. Bet your screws underneath are broken off. Mine were. I went to tighten them, they were all broke off being held in by the caulk. I drilled a new hole on each side of existing screws, and installed stainless. Luckily, I caught mine before I had any water intrusion after seeing other members report the problem.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:09 PM   #110

Ontario
Yup. All but two of the screws were snapped off and the other two were just spinning in rotten 'wood'. I think the square end trim was all that was holding the fascia on.

Now to re-read the threads on what to do next. About 1 1/2" of the wood is a bit soft.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:29 PM   #111

Oklahoma
Quote:
Yup. All but two of the screws were snapped off and the other two were just spinning in rotten 'wood'. I think the square end trim was all that was holding the fascia on.

Now to re-read the threads on what to do next. About 1 1/2" of the wood is a bit soft.
Everything from replacing the floor to adding runners under the rollers. We don't like to see this but it does happen. Mine dropped about 1/4 inch when I noticed the line of caulking separation but I caught it quick enough and staved off any water intrusion.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:39 PM   #112

Ontario
I don't think the floor needs to be replaced but I'll decide once it has a chance to dry out.

I suspect I need to put runners of some sort on the bottom of the slide, or put in new rollers where the floor is better.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:17 PM   #113

Maryland
Quote:
By "rail", do you mean the rack that the drive gear pushes?
Yes, the three rails on the side. Water would pool in the track...at the end, I filled the track end at the facia with Dicor Lap Sealant and covered the the end with sealant.

Cale
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:04 PM   #114

Ontario
So what's the consensus on the best product to seal the edge of the MDF bedroom slide floor? Epoxy?