RV Carport - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2015, 03:06 PM   #1

Washington
RV Carport

My dad always told me "if you take care of your equipment - it will take care of you". I have always stored my RVs in the barn but this Voltage is too big too fit

I am getting ready to order a stand alone RV carport for the Voltage. I know some of you have already done this and I'm looking for experiences and suggestions that I may not have thought out. The one I'm looking at is 18' wide and 13'6" tall at the edge, which makes the peak 15'6" high. I'm not too concerned with snow load as we rarely have more than a couple of feet on the ground at a time....and I can always knock it off. The standard braces are 14 gauge but can upgrade to 12 gauge for about $400. Please....let the opinions begin

Happiness is an old pickup truck, a good dog and an understanding woman....
ewacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:41 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewacowboy View Post
My dad always told me "if you take care of your equipment - it will take care of you". I have always stored my RVs in the barn but this Voltage is too big too fit

I am getting ready to order a stand alone RV carport for the Voltage. I know some of you have already done this and I'm looking for experiences and suggestions that I may not have thought out. The one I'm looking at is 18' wide and 13'6" tall at the edge, which makes the peak 15'6" high. I'm not too concerned with snow load as we rarely have more than a couple of feet on the ground at a time....and I can always knock it off. The standard braces are 14 gauge but can upgrade to 12 gauge for about $400. Please....let the opinions begin
I would go heavy on the braces. All it takes is one wrong twist or a storm from an odd angle to collapse a marginal steel carport. They should be designed to conform with your local snow load and wind load codes. Just an FYI I don't like the ones where the roof panels run horizontal, they have a tendency to collect stuff that doesn't blow off. Then you have to clean it, which may not be a problem with a smaller car sized one, but would be a real PITA on a large RV sized one.

We are hoping to build a new pole barn this year... center bay will be 16'Hx16'Wx56' long Overall barn will be 40'x56' with 16' sidewalls, then to add insult to injury we are putting a 12' deep lean to porch roof down one side. The game plan is to put a second floor in over one of the side bays (probably the one on the porch side) for dry storage of "stuff", then close in underneath that with office/workshop/conditioned storage space. The rest of the barn will stay open for working on equipment, RV's etc. Go big or stay home!

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:50 PM   #3

Tennessee
I had one put up for a much smaller camper, but would recommend as much bracing as possible, especially if you're leaving the sides open.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:45 PM   #4

Mississippi
I went with a 24' wide by 52' with 14' sides. Upgraded to 12 gauge and had roof panels laid vertically, they do it cheaper running horizontally with building and came down half way around 3 sides with metal. Also every 4' had mobile home augers installed and bolted to upgraded posts, then put 2 20' foot drop sheds at a later date myself. you can see it from overhead via google maps
12041 Carriage House Ln. Ponchatoula, LA. when you look down you will also see I have a 40' x 50' work shop for storing toys and working equipment. The drop sheds are great for utility trailers, tractor implements etc.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:39 PM   #5

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I would go heavy on the braces. All it takes is one wrong twist or a storm from an odd angle to collapse a marginal steel carport. They should be designed to conform with your local snow load and wind load codes. Just an FYI I don't like the ones where the roof panels run horizontal, they have a tendency to collect stuff that doesn't blow off. Then you have to clean it, which may not be a problem with a smaller car sized one, but would be a real PITA on a large RV sized one.

We are hoping to build a new pole barn this year... center bay will be 16'Hx16'Wx56' long Overall barn will be 40'x56' with 16' sidewalls, then to add insult to injury we are putting a 12' deep lean to porch roof down one side. The game plan is to put a second floor in over one of the side bays (probably the one on the porch side) for dry storage of "stuff", then close in underneath that with office/workshop/conditioned storage space. The rest of the barn will stay open for working on equipment, RV's etc. Go big or stay home!

Aaron

Aaron,
Be careful, you could end up with a monster that looks like this: Click image for larger version

Name:	garage.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	2295

It started out as a 36'x32' pole barn and then my wife decieded she wanted a bakery for her custom cake decorating business, so I poured a slap (now 36x50') and added the 20' lean to on the back, giving her a 20'x 36' bakery on the back of my man cave. In addition, I had to give up space in my garage area for her walkin cooler I had to make for her.
I enclosed the entire pole barn with conventional framing and added the log siding last summer so it matched my home.
Next addtion will be to add the RV port on to this end of the building. It will be taller than exisiting building but I plan on matching the roof contour.
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:37 AM   #6

Indiana
I bet that is the best smelling man cave ever!

2013 Denali 311 bhs pos
Love the trailer, hate the dealer and manufacturer.
memgrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 11:56 AM   #7

Illinois
Thom, beautiful. I would sell me house and move into your "shed".
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:07 AM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Aaron,
Be careful, you could end up with a monster that looks like this: Attachment 2295

It started out as a 36'x32' pole barn and then my wife decieded she wanted a bakery for her custom cake decorating business, so I poured a slap (now 36x50') and added the 20' lean to on the back, giving her a 20'x 36' bakery on the back of my man cave. In addition, I had to give up space in my garage area for her walkin cooler I had to make for her.
I enclosed the entire pole barn with conventional framing and added the log siding last summer so it matched my home.
Next addtion will be to add the RV port on to this end of the building. It will be taller than exisiting building but I plan on matching the roof contour.
We already have 3 barns, 2-3 storage trailers and a 14x70 mobile home that we use as storage. The one barn is technically a "tractor shed" because it doesn't have sides on it. That one is 60'x40', the other barns are smaller. Storage trailers are standard 8x40. I use a shipping container for storage/shop space. That one is going to go away when I get my new barn built.

Aaron
Old 06-22-2015, 01:16 AM   #9

Mississippi
Not good planning when I built my 1st metal shed, had no idea I would be getting a camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1434935404798.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	2297   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1434935611039.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	2299  
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:57 PM   #10

Washington
Thanks guys. I have plenty of out-buildings....just nothing big enough for this coach.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:29 AM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Thanks guys. I have plenty of out-buildings....just nothing big enough for this coach.
You can never, EVER have too many out buildings! So build one to fit the RV!

Aaron
Old 06-24-2015, 12:23 PM   #12

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
You can never, EVER have too many out buildings! So build one to fit the RV!

Aaron

My town says we have too many and we only have the house, one garage (26?x72) & tool shed (12x12) - I would love to have a building for the rest of the toys!!!!!!!!!!!
Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:58 PM   #13

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana & Poppy View Post
My town says we have too many and we only have the house, one garage (26?x72) & tool shed (12x12) - I would love to have a building for the rest of the toys!!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like you need to get out of New York!

Old 06-24-2015, 11:54 PM   #14
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Sounds like you need to get out of New York!
My corporate office is in Elmira...

We have had several guys bail for other locations.

I live in NC and have had minimal interference from local government... until recently. Our area is in the middle of a building boom and local code enforcement is getting to be a PITA. All of a sudden all of these new laws are appearing on the books every time the county commissioners and development board meet.

About time to move... again!

Aaron
Old 06-26-2015, 03:33 PM   #15

Washington
Okay....getting ready to pull the trigger. After reading the information and a lot of on-line research I think I'm going with 12 gauge 18 wide and 41 long. My coach is 38'+ so I think that will work out alright and I'll have them come down from the top with another row of siding (3') to stabilize the framework. Now comes the fun part....prepping the site.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:21 AM   #16

Alabama
Do you mind me asking roughly what the cost is for what you are doing?
WifiDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:10 AM   #17

Washington
I've had bids of 4 to 5K....but found a company that will put it in for around 3K.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:36 PM   #18

Idaho
So how did it turn out. DO you have pictures?
Satman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:07 AM   #19

Washington
Haha....sorry - no. We're considering changing 5th wheels so I put it off until we make a final decision.