Rubicon 2900 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2012, 02:55 AM   #1

New York
Rubicon 2900

So DH and I are looking at the Rubicon 2900....we have been searching high and low for a floor plan that will work for us. We looked at 5ers and tow behinds and this one fits out needs.

Anyone here know of any problems that we need to check out? Some of the functions of the trailer are a bit "crazy" such as bedroom doors opening into the living room and blocking the entry door, the control panel is in the middle of the wall as you enter behind a glass door, which is behind the slide when it comes in......

Any others that we did not catch?

Oh the "spray port", can anyone tell me if it is actually hot and cold as advertised, or just cold as being told to us by the salesman????

Thanks for your help...we hope to Rubicon owners soon!!!!!

Nana & Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:35 AM   #2

I dont own a Rubicon but rather a Voltage which i am sure has some of the same design flaws.
The stereo cabinet on mine blocks the front door when open. the shower door opens into the toilet. I put a rubber bumper on the door to keep it from breaking the door glass.

The gray water in the kitchen tank is separate from the bath gray water tank. A very poor design. the kitchen will fill long before the shower causing you to have to dump the kitchen. The kitchen dump is under the main slide and cannot be reached unless the slide is out. I had the dealer redesign that location on their dime.
I also tied the two gray water tanks together for more holding capacity.

There is a heater vent in the toy area that cannot be turned off or shut. I'm still thinking on that one.

All the light switches in living room area and kitchen are in the stereo compartment instead of on the walls. A bad design at night.

The two awning controls are in different rooms. Very inconvenient.

The sewer line holder is way under the rear not near the dump area. I put another near the dump area with the hose I use each time. the rear I keep a spare hose just in case of a long run.

If you have not bought I would suggest a double door refrigerator. You seem to never have enough refrigerator.

Get an oven not just a convection microwave. Biscuits and cornbread suck in the microwave.

Get all the AC you can. These boxes can get really hot in the summer. I have 2.

Lots of other little items I cant think of off hand but this gives u something to think about.

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:34 AM   #3

New York
Thanks tanman......we spent 15 days in our new Rubicon and found a few more "odd items"....but nothing to drastic! Putting it away for the season next week.

Making a list of warranty items, we will bring it back in June when we get it out of storage. One big issue is a nail or screw coming from the inside out and punctured the fiberglass siding.....I'm not going to be happy with a half ashed fix!!!!!!!!! It is already starting to delam!
Old 10-28-2012, 01:41 AM   #4

One thing is for sure, they slap them together with no quality control, and for the most part the dealers hire the cheapest ppl off the street to do repairs. Some of my warranty repairs have been back for the third time. I cut them no slack. I paid good money , hard earned money like you and I expect my 5er to be what I am told it will be. Quality. Once the dealer kept it over 6 weeks waiting on some small part.. Oh well get it right was my answer. Good luck and hold them to the grind stone repairing to your satisfaction.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #5

New York
Well, we camp once in May (Memorial Day weekend) and once in the beginning of June, then not again until August....so they will have time to fix it and get it done right! We pretty much camp most of September & October ......we do have a great dealer, so hopefully everything works out for the best.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #6

Texas
My Wife and I are days away from taking possession of our new 2013 Rubicon 2900.

We will soon be new full timers. The whole sale's process from the get go has been great. We've been working with I think they call em the Internet sales group.

All was going well until our trailer arrived at the RV dealer in Middlebury IN. After some amount of delay we found out the unit arrived with "minor issues"

Being our 1st trailer purchase we were under the impression buying a RV was like buying a new car/truck, all quality control issues would have been taken care of at the manufacturing point rather then at the dealer. Maybe that was just another illusion.

We sent a letter requesting detailed information on what problems were found when the unit arrived and what new replacement parts had to be ordered. Our internet sales team has assured us they will be on top of it and will make sure we receive the information requested.
seventhfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #7

New York
Hi seventhfire....there really is NO QC on RV's.....so try to find out what is wrong and when you do your PDI inspect, inspect, inspect.....if you are not satisfied do not take it....make it right before you do!

Welcome to the forum....
Old 02-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #8

Texas
Thanks for the comments, sorry to hear the QC isn't that great, guess we adjust where necessary and like you said, inspect, inspect, inspect

seventhfire is offline   Reply With Quote