Roof Material EPDM TPO or Alpha? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2015, 12:54 AM   #1

Tennessee
Roof Material EPDM TPO or Alpha?

My brochure In front of me says my roof material is EPDM. I removed a vent cover inside and reveals it is not EPDM. EPDM has a black backing, a TPO, or Alpha has a white backing and is textured whereas EPDM has a smooth surface.

Now since its not EPDM, what is it TPO or Alpha??? sealers used on EPDM are not to be used on TPO or Alpha roofing material... found this video while searching and saw a Voltage in the video. Guess it answers my question.

So why would my brochure show EPDM... maybe Dutchman didnt know what they used!

Old 03-23-2015, 01:43 AM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
TPO can have a black backing, just not the stuff Dutchmen uses. I install single ply roofs for a living. The commercial TPO has reinforcing scrim and is multi-layered. The RV stuff is not as strong. From what I can find Alpha is a fleece back TPO that allows for better adhesive adhesion. TPO is a generic term and covers a lot of territory in roof formulations.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:12 AM   #3

Tennessee

Thanks Aaron. Good to know. Your all set if you have any roofing problems. Found this video too. This is what made me check. Mine does not have the fleece.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
I have already helped a few guys at work re-roof their RVs with Fibertite. This is a high end PVC roofing material. We used left overs and the company will sell us short rolls at a discount too. If we had to buy it on the open market it would be ~$!.50 or so a square foot. Couple of interesting things about Fibertite, one they only sell to authorized installers and they are pretty particular about who installs it. The other is they got their start making landfill liners. They landfill liner product has a expected lifespan of 100 years.

So at the first sign of trouble I going to put Fibertite on mine. It will probably outlast the trailer by a good 15-20 years.

Aaron
Old 05-05-2015, 07:02 PM   #5

Michigan
What is your recommendation for cleaning these Voltage toy haulers? Do you sell any cleaning kits?
The dealer here in Michigan is clueless.
1BadDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:55 PM   #6
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadDiesel View Post
What is your recommendation for cleaning these Voltage toy haulers? Do you sell any cleaning kits?
The dealer here in Michigan is clueless.
What are you cleaning? There are a lot of good products on the market. A lot of guys like to put a good heavy coat of wax/sealant on theirs too.

Aaron
Old 05-05-2015, 08:47 PM   #7

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
TPO can have a black backing, just not the stuff Dutchmen uses. I install single ply roofs for a living. The commercial TPO has reinforcing scrim and is multi-layered. The RV stuff is not as strong. From what I can find Alpha is a fleece back TPO that allows for better adhesive adhesion. TPO is a generic term and covers a lot of territory in roof formulations.

Aaron
Question! If you look from front to back on the edge of the roof it looks like there is half round piece that comes over the edge and goes partially (a few inches) up the roof. Where the roofing is stretched over the edge and up the roof it actually has a small concave spot before it "levels out" and continues on up the arched roof. On mine I noticed that several spots were not glued down, you can press on it and it's not affixed to anything. It's not sagging or loose, just not tight to the roof. Is this a cause for concern?
Old 05-05-2015, 08:49 PM   #8

Michigan
The roof, I was told it needed special cleaner sealer once a year???what is recommended?
Old 05-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #9

Tennessee
Quote:
The roof, I was told it needed special cleaner sealer once a year???what is recommended?

I use Dicor.

I use their protectant as well but I believe somewhere on here is a quote from a manufacturer stating it's not necessary to use.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:05 PM   #10
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
Question! If you look from front to back on the edge of the roof it looks like there is half round piece that comes over the edge and goes partially (a few inches) up the roof. Where the roofing is stretched over the edge and up the roof it actually has a small concave spot before it "levels out" and continues on up the arched roof. On mine I noticed that several spots were not glued down, you can press on it and it's not affixed to anything. It's not sagging or loose, just not tight to the roof. Is this a cause for concern?
I don't see it being an issue, typically you will have a small gap anywhere there is an angle change, it also allows the roof to expand and contract with the heat. Mine has a similar spot between the drip rail and where goes over the top.

Aaron
Old 05-05-2015, 09:08 PM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Don't have to use their special cleaner. Any relatively mild detergent and a medium scrub brush will do the job, avoid anything with petroleum distillates in it. At work we use Gain for some reason. I used Tide on mine the last time around because that is what my wife had purchased. Just make sure you flush the sides so you don't get streaking when you wash the roof.

Aaron
Old 05-05-2015, 09:20 PM   #12

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I don't see it being an issue, typically you will have a small gap anywhere there is an angle change, it also allows the roof to expand and contract with the heat. Mine has a similar spot between the drip rail and where goes over the top.

Aaron
Good to know, thanks! One less thing for me to worry about, stupid roof already needs caulking before it's a year old.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:50 PM   #13
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
Good to know, thanks! One less thing for me to worry about, stupid roof already needs caulking before it's a year old.

Watch out for the sillycone that they used on everything else. Pure unadulterated crap. Once it starts to let go it will be a major pain to replace. Nothing sticks to old silicone sealant, not even new silicone.

I am pretty old school when it comes to my sealants. I use Vulkem and NP-1 for 99% of what I do, I also believe in belt and suspenders, I put a non-curing sealant in the joint then use a UV stable sealant on the outside. I put some big steel rain troughs on a building nearly 25 years ago and they are still there and still don't leak. Noticed the stuff on the new addition (that I had nothing to do with) that was put on last year leaks like a sieve.

Aaron
Old 05-06-2015, 07:48 AM   #14

Michigan
Quote:
On my last rig I used a roof cleaner and conditioner that I was getting at WalMart. General RV and Camping World sell same product for much more. Worked pretty well on the last rig and I plan to use it on the Voltage as well. Just be ready to wash your rig after as it runs down the sides - rinse well and a lot. Drove by your place the other day and seen barn doors open but no Voltage - hope all is well!
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:45 PM   #15

Michigan
Thanks wahoonc,dawniewest,and donzinger.Mild detergent soap should be fine for the roof cleaning I am planning on doing .I will watch and wet the sides of the trailer so that the soap don't strip my wax off. I haven't taken my Voltage 3950 from indoor storage yet , in the middle of remodeling our house kitchen. Planning on some Atv riding and canoeing in northern michigan soon with the RV.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:13 PM   #16

Michigan
Seems the 3950 is popular in this area! Another member in Kimball has one as well!

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote