Replace ramp door spring - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #1

New Jersey
Replace ramp door spring

One of the springs broke on our Voltage V 3105's rear ramp door. The dealer wants 3 hours of labor to replace the spring. Is there anyway to easily replace the spring, or does the entire door need to be removed?

While I'd like to avoid paying 3 hours labor for a spring, I'm not up for removing the entire door myself.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #2

British Columbia
Ouch! If you have an independant RV repair shop, I would check what he would charge you.

I don't think that is something that I would want to tackle, I've seen the results of a spring that goes flying.

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:24 PM   #3

Colorado
The door removal is really not that bad, I removed mine with a neighbor's help to have the antislip removed and sprayed with Line-ex (PDI issue). With the door closed remove the bolts on the frame (not on the door), While the door is closed the spring is not under tension. Then with help simply take the door off the back of the camper. Other then about 150 lbs of weight and the size of the door it's not really that difficult.

Three hours labor seems about right as it's at least a two man job so 1.5 hours X2 technicians to remove and replace.
Grimtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:04 PM   #4

Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtas View Post
The door removal is really not that bad, I removed mine with a neighbor's help to have the antislip removed and sprayed with Line-ex (PDI issue). With the door closed remove the bolts on the frame (not on the door), While the door is closed the spring is not under tension. Then with help simply take the door off the back of the camper. Other then about 150 lbs of weight and the size of the door it's not really that difficult.

Three hours labor seems about right as it's at least a two man job so 1.5 hours X2 technicians to remove and replace.
Good news that springs were not under tension. Your explanation is great. DIY

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 11:45 PM   #5

New Jersey
Grimtas,

Thanks for the info. Beyond taking the door off, I'm trying to figure out how to change the spring. There is a bar that connects to the hinges, with spacers and springs between each hinge. If I can figure out how to take the cap on the end of the bar, and slide it back, the broken spring is the second one in. I'm hoping I can replace the spring without removing the door. Even if I take the door off, I still have the same issue.

Thanks again.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #6

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonoghu View Post
Grimtas,

Thanks for the info. Beyond taking the door off, I'm trying to figure out how to change the spring. There is a bar that connects to the hinges, with spacers and springs between each hinge. If I can figure out how to take the cap on the end of the bar, and slide it back, the broken spring is the second one in. I'm hoping I can replace the spring without removing the door. Even if I take the door off, I still have the same issue.

Thanks again.
Im with you on this. I doesn't look like the door would have to be removed if someone can explain how to remove the end caps to slide hinge rod out to replace springs and plastic sleeve bushings. Wouldn't have to remove rod totally. Slide out halfway either direction to accomplish repair. Hopefully Grimtas will explain how to remove ends.
Thanks
Old 09-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #7

Colorado
I hadn't removed the springs just the door, but as the springs are not under tension while the door is closed I don't see it being an issue to like you said remove the bar to slide off the springs. My camper is in storage right now I'll swing by Monday afternoon and take another look and some pics. I had to remove my door to get it re-sprayed, I didn't actually remove any springs.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #8

New Jersey
I tried to loosen the cap at the end of the bar. No dice. I suspect the end cap may be machined or cast into the end hinge. That would mean you have to remove the end hinge, and then the bar should slide. Since I need to replace the second spring from the right, while it might not seem intuitive, I'd take off the far left end hinge. Then I could slide the bar back from the left, releasing the end and second spring. Anyone know if this will work?

If no one knows, I'll try calling Lippert next week.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:25 AM   #9

New Jersey
For anyone interested, I called Lippert. They said I could drive the end cap out of the end hinge, and the rod could be driven out. No luck getting it to move. So, I decided to take the end hinge with the cap off the rear door. I was then able to grab the hinge rod with a vise grip, and slowly work it out. This was done with the door on the unit, up, and closed. It seems to help to put a jack under the center hinge and take some strain off. I was able to pull the rod back far enough to remove the two right springs. I took the good end spring, and used it to replace the broken spring. I then pushed the rod back in, so the door is using all but the two end hinges. I'm waiting for the dealer to ship me the spring. Once I get that, I'll button it all up, replace the end hinge with cap, and re silicone it. Estimated total time, less than an hour. Way better than paying a dealer for 3 hours of labor.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:34 PM   #10

Colorado
pdonoghu,
Glad you got it worked out, my apologies I didn't revisit this thread things got busy with work and I never got around to taking a look at my camper to see if I could figure it out for you. Glad you got lippert to assist.

Tags
ramp, replace, spring