Rear camera wiring - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2015, 12:43 AM   #1

Virginia
Rear camera wiring

Has anyone had to mess with the rear wireless camera? I had to have my canopies removed and ever since then the camera seems to have lost power. I know they ran a new wiring harness for the canopies and I think when they did so, they disconnected the camera hot wire.

Short of pulling the wire out of the roof and running a new power wire, I would like to locate where it is disconnected and fix it.

Yes, I could take it back to them and they will fix it but when will I get it back and what will be broke then.

Phil
2014 Voltage 3950 Epic III
2016 Ram 3500 Diesel 4wd, Long Horn Dually long bed
Moto4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:15 AM   #2

Texas
On the back portion there is a connector under the glob of roof sealant. I was getting power to mine but no signal. The dealer actually replaced the camera under my extended warranty.

soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:20 AM   #3

Virginia
So, If I am understanding there is a short pigtail off the camera and it plugs into a wiring harness just after it enters the roof? If that is the case I probably need to find where that lead ties into the main harness. Its got to be close to where they removed the wiring for the canopies unless they just never ran the wire to the pig tale.

Phil
Old 09-04-2015, 01:38 AM   #4

Wyoming
Yeah, I'm on my THIRD camera now, all replaced under warranty. They aren't sealed very well, and they get water inside which fries the circuit board.

As for the wiring, if it's like mine, it should be tied into your rear running lights. My camera only works when the pigtail is plugged into the truck, and my lights are on (parking lights, headlights, something).
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #5

Florida
Had to change mine because some low life stole my monitor out of my truck one day. New monitor would not work with old camera because of a difference with the wifi pairing so had to install the new camera too. My old camera was a pain to change out because the wires were wire nutted together, no connector, then the blind installers positioned the mount bracket over the hole in the roof and pinched the wires under the bracket. After pulling the bracket off, I found that the wire would not come up out of the roof far enough to work with because they put the wire nuts on the bottom side of the roof rafter they drilled through. Finally managed to work one wire nut at a time through the rafter using a pair of extra long needle nose. The wire nuts were not even twisted on, they were just pushed in place!

Anyway, I would start at the camera connection and check for the power there. Don't know where they go after they go down into the rafter.

By the way, my camera does not work off the position lights, it is on all the time there is 12v on, just another parasitic drain to be aware of...
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:19 PM   #6

Virginia
By the way, my camera does not work off the position lights, it is on all the time there is 12v on, just another parasitic drain to be aware of...[/QUOTE]

That was my impression that they were on all the time, because it always worked when I turned the monitor on. It is possible it was dark or dusk when I used it and by chance the lights were on. Thanks for the input, you all gave me things to look into and hopefully I can resolve it with that info.

Phil
Old 09-05-2015, 01:46 AM   #7

California
The outside and inside cameras, outside stereo control, inside CO, smoke sensors, and probably more are always on. I went with solar... No more worrying about forgetting the kill switch. Other bennies too, like using the gen a lot less.

On the cameras, anyone know how to get 2 more? Eventually we want to add side cams.
2015 Voltage 3800 w/ Epic IV, Int&Ext, Garage Pkgs; 8x100W Solar, 2x Xantrex C35 Charge Controllers, SW2000 Inverter & Monitor; 2005 Chevy Duramax Dually 3500 w/Banks; Kawi KFX700 & Polaris Scrambler 500 ATVs.
VCToyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #8

Maryland
My camera was installed (mounted) but never wired up. I started at the camera as suggested, removed the sealant and the metal plate on the roof and voilą, the wires were just stuffed in there. I had to do some digging, but found a couple wires that were terminated in the roof. Verified 12v, hooked up, and works like a champ...

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote