Rear Camera not getting power - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2014, 11:50 PM   #1

South Dakota
Rear Camera not getting power

2013 Voltage 3895 toyhauler
The factory installed rear camera just stopped working. It seems as if it is not getting any power..
Has anyone traced out how in the world they wired up the rear camera? Every fuse I can find in the unit tests good, so there is a loose connection, fuse I have not found, or the camera is completely dead.

I would rather check the basics first before removing cameras, etc..

Wdriskel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:12 AM   #2

Oklahoma
Could you have a problem with the monitor and not necessarily a problem with the camera?

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:32 AM   #3

South Dakota
I did check the monitor. it gives a lovely "No Signal" display even when I take it to within 1- ft of the camera.

The IR LEDs usually glow a bit at night, they are dark now. So I am guessing power first, before I start thinking the camera took a hike.

No easy way to test the power on the exposed bit I can get to, so if someone knows where/what it is tied into I can test it there just to isolate it a bit more.
Wdriskel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:47 AM   #4

Oklahoma
That's going to be tough to find I think. The monitor has the wireless receiver in it so if the receiver wasn't working the wireless signal wouldn't be processed.

I never noticed a glow on any IR LEDs so maybe that's a problem. The IR frequency range is beyond what the human eye can detect so I don't know about the glow.

My guess the wiring probably runs in the ceiling and in most cases unreachable except maybe in the cavity below the A/C in the main room.
Where it originates is beyond me but the camera has to get voltage from somewhere.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:58 AM   #5
Djs

Utah
Is the setup wireless, or wired to the monitor in the truck? I installed a wired system and the power connector is in the truck. If it's wireless, your transmitter may have quit working, or the 12V wire may have worked its way loose from where they installed it. Of course, they wouldn't have soldered it. That would have taken more time at the factory and TIME IS MONEY!!!
Djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:42 AM   #6

Louisiana
My camera transmitter went out after snagging a branch and breaking off the antenna. I replaced the antenna but that didn't fix the problem. I ended up replacing the camera, re-pairing with the monitor, and now everything works again. Here are some things I learned along the way that may help you.

- On my unit the camera had constant power. I pulled every 12v fuse on the breaker panel and it still had power. I never did figure where it is connected.

- My old camera got really hot to the touch. I thought it may have shorted something out when it snagged a branch, but the new one gets just as hot.

- If you remove the Dicor sealant from around where the camera power wire goes into the roof, you'll find a metal plate with 4 screws. Remove those screws and the plate comes off, revealing the camera power wire and a connector. This may be the place to start since yours is not getting power. With the connector unplugged you can check with a volt meter to see if you're getting power to that point. If so, then it sounds like you'll be needing a new camera.

Good luck.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #7

Michigan
Not sure if it applies to the camera you have, but mine only worked one time at the dealer lot. I called the camera maker and was told that if you remove the cap that covers the sync button and crane your neck just right you should see a small red LED lit in there to indicate power to the unit - he said you won't see it under bright conditions. I have not finished all the troubleshooting on mine as I have audio but no video whioch tells me I have power to the camera. Just a thought and the gentlemen I spoke to was very helpful and explained the system.

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, power, voltage