Real weight - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-11-2015, 05:15 PM   #1
Member
 
Ron Peck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Willows
Posts: 16
California
Real weight

Trailer - 19,640#
Truck - 9,680#
Pin - 3,580#
Truck + Trailer - 29,320#
Black and Grey empty, water 3/4 full, both gas tanks full, 50 gal. aux. tank in truck full.
Running 14ply W/110 psi
12,000 miles so far no problems, truck is well within spec., trailer is 2,640# over.


2015 Voltage 3800, 2015 F350 6.7 DRW, (2) KLR 650s, 720 watts solar, 400 amp L.I. Batteries, 3000 watt Magnum inverter.
__________________

Ron Peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:59 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
ATCguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Somewhere on the road...
Posts: 1,312
Wyoming
Not trying to be the PC police, and I know that none of us are 'lily white'... but I wouldn't advertise that in an open (public) forum.

God forbid you should have an accident tomorrow, and the insurance company sees that post.

Just sayin'....
__________________

__________________
Tom
2013 VOLTAGE 3200 (EPIC I & II)
2014 Ford F-450 PLATINUM
2017 BMW R1200GS Rallye
ATCguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:27 PM   #3
Member
 
Ron Peck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Willows
Posts: 16
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Not trying to be the PC police, and I know that none of us are 'lily white'... but I wouldn't advertise that in an open (public) forum.

God forbid you should have an accident tomorrow, and the insurance company sees that post.

Just sayin'....
Just sayin' by the time you add the features, epic IV, gen set, levelers, solar w/ L. I. Batteries, etc. there is no room for toys! Toy Hauler....sort of.
ATCguy thanks for your concerns.
Cheers
__________________
2015 F350 6.7 DRW
2015 Voltage 3800 epic IV + Solar w/400 amp LI batt.
(2) 2015 KLR 650s (1) 2014 R6 (DW's track bike)
Ron Peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:51 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
ATCguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Somewhere on the road...
Posts: 1,312
Wyoming
Oh, I hear ya... I'm sure there's more than a few of us overweight. I was just saying I wouldn't publicize or document the fact. Why give anyone ammo that could possibly be used against you if an issue ever arose?
__________________
Tom
2013 VOLTAGE 3200 (EPIC I & II)
2014 Ford F-450 PLATINUM
2017 BMW R1200GS Rallye
ATCguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:45 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
arlan in arizona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Quartzsite
Posts: 682
Arizona
Hi Ron,

I'm sure a lot of us are overweight with our rigs. I want to ask you about the first weight you gave. Was that with no toys added?

These big trailers are difficult to keep to a reasonable weight. They really are.

I noticed your signature changes some what from your first to last posts.

Question is on your batteries. What are "L. I. Batteries"? Am I to assume they are Lithium Ion. If so I am really interested. I have looked for Lithium Ion batteries for RV but have not been able to find them.

Arlan
__________________
2013 Voltage 3905
2013 F350 4x4 DRW
2013 RZR XP 900
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:41 AM   #6
Member
 
Ron Peck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Willows
Posts: 16
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
Hi Ron,

I'm sure a lot of us are overweight with our rigs. I want to ask you about the first weight you gave. Was that with no toys added?

These big trailers are difficult to keep to a reasonable weight. They really are.

I noticed your signature changes some what from your first to last posts.

Question is on your batteries. What are "L. I. Batteries"? Am I to assume they are Lithium Ion. If so I am really interested. I have looked for Lithium Ion batteries for RV but have not been able to find them.

Arlan
Arlan,
The trailer weight included the toys.
I had the solar system installed by AM Solar in Springfield, OR. They specialize in RV solar systems. They carry Lithium Ion's; you also need a charge controller with a algorithm designed for Lithium Ion battery's. I can't say enough good things about AM Solar they were great to work with. Check out their web site.
__________________
2015 F350 6.7 DRW
2015 Voltage 3800 epic IV + Solar w/400 amp LI batt.
(2) 2015 KLR 650s (1) 2014 R6 (DW's track bike)
Ron Peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:14 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
arlan in arizona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Quartzsite
Posts: 682
Arizona
Thanks,

These are the first Lithium Ion batteries I have seen for RV use.

They are about the price I expected but weigh a little more than I had hoped

Arlan
__________________
2013 Voltage 3905
2013 F350 4x4 DRW
2013 RZR XP 900
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:40 PM   #8
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 7
Ran my 3818 across the Cat Scales coming back from Sturgis last weekend. Total weight with all gear, almost full of fuel, half a tank of FW, three bike and TV was 30,000 lbs with 16,800 lbs being on the trailer axles. Got to weight TV today. It came in at 9300 lbs. so the 3818 weight 20,700 lbs nearly full with 16,800 of that being on axles and 3900 lbs of that being on the hitch. These truely are heavy rigs.
OKJK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:40 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Tucson
Posts: 753
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Peck View Post
Trailer - 19,640#
Truck - 9,680#
Pin - 3,580#
Truck + Trailer - 29,320#
Black and Grey empty, water 3/4 full, both gas tanks full, 50 gal. aux. tank in truck full.
Running 14ply W/110 psi
12,000 miles so far no problems, truck is well within spec., trailer is 2,640# over.


2015 Voltage 3800, 2015 F350 6.7 DRW, (2) KLR 650s, 720 watts solar, 400 amp L.I. Batteries, 3000 watt Magnum inverter.
I'm having trouble figuring your numbers. How did you come up that you are 2640# over your 19,000 GVWR? You say your trailer weighs 19640# (with toys), which is 640# over the GVWR. But your math says your trailer weighs 21,640 (19000 GVWR+2640).

We've got the same trailer except for 2' in the garage. I Cat Scaled my 3600 and the total trailer weight was 16,640 (3500 on the pin and 13,140 on the axles) without any toys and that includes maybe 1/4 tank of water and empty black and grey tanks. That leaves me 2360# for toys and stuff. Then I throw my Harley (FLHTK) in the back and add maybe another 500# of stuff and I'm still 910# under GVWR.

Again using your numbers: 19640 - 2640= 17,000. Perhaps you're thinking your GVWR is 17,000 rather than the published 19,000 GVWR?

I'm just having a hard time believing you are 2640# over gross. Where am I wrong?
__________________
2014 Voltage 3600
2013 Chevy 3500 CC DRW
2011 Harley Ultra Limited 2016 RZR 900
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:42 PM   #10
Member
 
Ron Peck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Willows
Posts: 16
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKJK11 View Post
Ran my 3818 across the Cat Scales coming back from Sturgis last weekend. Total weight with all gear, almost full of fuel, half a tank of FW, three bike and TV was 30,000 lbs with 16,800 lbs being on the trailer axles. Got to weight TV today. It came in at 9300 lbs. so the 3818 weight 20,700 lbs nearly full with 16,800 of that being on axles and 3900 lbs of that being on the hitch. These truely are heavy rigs.
Make sure you have real tires on the trailer, those stock may-pops won't live long.
What weight does Voltage list as gross for the 3818? It seems with a 18' garage you could overload it easily.
Cheers
__________________
2015 F350 6.7 DRW
2015 Voltage 3800 epic IV + Solar w/400 amp LI batt.
(2) 2015 KLR 650s (1) 2014 R6 (DW's track bike)
Ron Peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:44 PM   #11
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Peck View Post
Make sure you have real tires on the trailer, those stock may-pops won't live long.

What weight does Voltage list as gross for the 3818? It seems with a 18' garage you could overload it easily.

Cheers

Yes sir, I changed out the may pops soon after I bought it. I'm running 17.5 Hankooks. I'd have to look at the list weight as I don't remember.
OKJK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:00 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Tucson
Posts: 753
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Peck View Post
Make sure you have real tires on the trailer, those stock may-pops won't live long.
What weight does Voltage list as gross for the 3818? It seems with a 18' garage you could overload it easily.
Cheers
His GVWR is 20,000.
__________________
2014 Voltage 3600
2013 Chevy 3500 CC DRW
2011 Harley Ultra Limited 2016 RZR 900
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:06 PM   #13
Member
 
Ron Peck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Willows
Posts: 16
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
I'm having trouble figuring your numbers. How did you come up that you are 2640# over your 19,000 GVWR? You say your trailer weighs 19640# (with toys), which is 640# over the GVWR. But your math says your trailer weighs 21,640 (19000 GVWR+2640).

We've got the same trailer except for 2' in the garage. I Cat Scaled my 3600 and the total trailer weight was 16,640 (3500 on the pin and 13,140 on the axles) without any toys and that includes maybe 1/4 tank of water and empty black and grey tanks. That leaves me 2360# for toys and stuff. Then I throw my Harley (FLHTK) in the back and add maybe another 500# of stuff and I'm still 910# under GVWR.

Again using your numbers: 19640 - 2640= 17,000. Perhaps you're thinking your GVWR is 17,000 rather than the published 19,000 GVWR?

I'm just having a hard time believing you are 2640# over gross. Where am I wrong?
You are correct, after putting on my glasses the VIN plate says 19,000# not 17,000#.
Thank you for pointing out my mistake! So I'm actually 640# over which is easily corrected by not carrying 1,245# of fresh water (150gal x 8.3# per gallon)
Cheers
__________________

__________________
2015 F350 6.7 DRW
2015 Voltage 3800 epic IV + Solar w/400 amp LI batt.
(2) 2015 KLR 650s (1) 2014 R6 (DW's track bike)
Ron Peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×