Ramp Assistance - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2015, 02:10 PM   #1

Missouri
Ramp Assistance

I have not yet purchased my toy hauler and I am trying to be very thorough in thinking through any issues I might have if/when I do. I am female and will be solo a lot of times. I am short and when I attempted to raise the ramp at the dealer, it was quite a struggle and the salesman stepped in and finished the job. If I had realized how difficult it was going to be, I would have put more oomph into the job and I believe I would have gotten the job done. Before I make the purchase, I will be sure I can actually close the ramp myself, but I wonder if it would be possible to install a pulley to assist in closing the ramp/door. I think it's a long shot, but I am impressed with some of the mods I have seen here, has anyone done something like this? or have any thoughts? I also wonder if anyone has any ideas for making the cargo area secure with the ramp/patio extended. I have imagined something similar to the metal pull down doors that stores in malls use when they are closed. I am not sure if they are still using doors like this so you may need to think back a bit to picture what I have in mind. I really love the toy haulers for the versatility of the cargo area since my son will be staying with me when he is on breaks from school and it would give him a "bedroom" yet I can use the room in other ways as well. I need to add that I will be full-time. I just worry that if the ramp is too difficult for me to operate that I will be hesitant to open it and I will be missing one of the great advantages of the toy hauler. Thanks in advance for any and all advice and ideas.

realgoodbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:03 PM   #2

Oklahoma
On my Voltage, the hardest part of ramp operation is from the ground to about shoulder height. After that the door is progressively easier to operate until it closes. My other thought is that you may have a little trouble opening it. I have to give my door a pretty good tug to get it to move.

As for securing the garage with the ramp down, some units are now coming equipped with a 4 seasons door inside of the ramp that can be closed to keep the elements out. I am not sure if it has a good lock on it or not.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:50 AM   #3

Missouri
I am so glad you mentioned opening the door, I did not test that at all when I was at the dealership. I will be sure to check that out.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:12 AM   #4

Missouri
Well, as it turns out, I am unable to open or close the ramp alone. I bought it anyway since I love the versatility of the cargo area. I have spoken to a service manager at a Camping World about the possibility of having a winch installed and he was optimistic about finding a solution for me. I am waiting to hear from him. I did a little research online and it seems that Lippert sells, or "used to sell" an electric ramp assist according to what I read on this forum (ramp assist for toy haulers). However, I can not find any source online for the system. Does anyone know anything about it?
I love the patio feature and I am determined to find a way to make this work for me!
Old 07-09-2015, 12:20 AM   #5

Oklahoma
The Fusion has the same spring ramp system.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:09 AM   #6

Wyoming
This looks like it could possibly be part of it. And if Lippert sells parts for it, maybe with a phone call explaining the situation, they'd sell the entire unit. Just a thought...

Actuator for Ramp Door - 18'' Stroke

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 03:48 PM   #7

Maryland
An idea...there are structural rings at the top of the trailer box, where the cables attach to make the ramp a patio...a simple pulley system may be in order...could get the pulleys from the ridiculous selection of pulleys at Home Depot.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:04 PM   #8

Missouri
I love the idea of using a pulley system since it would have to be the least expensive fix. I will have my son take a look this weekend and see if we can figure out a way to rig it. Even if I ultimately install an electric assist, a pulley system could allow me the use of the ramp/patio sooner. Thanks for the idea.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:19 PM   #9

Wyoming
What about something like this?

Gorilla-Lift™ Trailer Ramp Assist : Cabela's

It's made for open-rail trailers... but I'm betting with a little 'out of the box' thinking, mounts could be made inside your garage to make it work.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #10

Missouri
I looked at that Gorilla-Lift online and had the same thought. Thankfully the guy at Camping World seemed to be willing to explore non-traditional fixes if none can be found through Dutchmen.
I didn't say it earlier but the guy at Camping World said that he wasn't surprised that I was unable to operate it since it was really difficult for him to close. He claimed there is no spring assist on my door and that "most" toy haulers have them. I think his current strategy is to find a spring assist for it. It seems crazy to me that there would not be a spring assist, but I have no idea what it would look like.....
Old 07-09-2015, 07:43 PM   #11

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by realgoodbear View Post
I looked at that Gorilla-Lift online and had the same thought. Thankfully the guy at Camping World seemed to be willing to explore non-traditional fixes if none can be found through Dutchmen.
I didn't say it earlier but the guy at Camping World said that he wasn't surprised that I was unable to operate it since it was really difficult for him to close. He claimed there is no spring assist on my door and that "most" toy haulers have them. I think his current strategy is to find a spring assist for it. It seems crazy to me that there would not be a spring assist, but I have no idea what it would look like.....
How about a photo of the bottom of the ramp, outside where the hinges are.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:50 PM   #12

Colorado
One thing about the Voltage ramp...you could have service remove the number of ramp springs by about half.

That would give plenty of support for the ramp going either up or down...and make it a heck of a lot easier to handle.

Our first Toyhauler didn't have the springs across the bottom hinge, so it was simply a lift and shut, or open the locks, swing the arm out of the way and grab the door and lay it down.

Just thoughts...

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:49 PM   #13

Missouri
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-09 15.38.08.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	2351

Hopefully I attached the photo correctly.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:37 PM   #14

Oklahoma
There's six springs on there so you do have spring assist. Camping World guy must be a former blind installer from Dutchman or he's expecting something different.
If you have trouble closing the ramp you can always shim out the bottom of the springs where they contact the base. With the springs shimmed out they will have more tension and place more force while lifting the ramp.
If you are having trouble getting the ramp down then you can do as Pirate suggested, have some springs removed but then again you will lose some lift capabilities.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:45 PM   #15

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
There's six springs on there so you do have spring assist. Camping World guy must be a former blind installer from Dutchman or he's expecting something different.
If you have trouble closing the ramp you can always shim out the bottom of the springs where they contact the base. With the springs shimmed out they will have more tension and place more force while lifting the ramp.
If you are having trouble getting the ramp down then you can do as Pirate suggested, have some springs removed but then again you will lose some lift capabilities.
Or, you just wait for those little plastic spring bushings to give out and break.. and they will. Mines already 3/4 of the way wore through. That should give a little less resistance coming down!
Old 08-24-2015, 01:11 AM   #16

California
Realgoodbear... Curious if you found a solution. I'm thinking of adapting a small winch.. Or another happijac motor like the bunks use, possibly,
2015 Voltage 3800 w/ Epic IV, Int&Ext, Garage Pkgs; 8x100W Solar, 2x Xantrex C35 Charge Controllers, SW2000 Inverter & Monitor; 2005 Chevy Duramax Dually 3500 w/Banks; Kawi KFX700 & Polaris Scrambler 500 ATVs.
VCToyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:50 PM   #17

Missouri
I have not found a solution yet. I have a fellow RV'er coming to take a look at it today to see if he has any ideas. We both think it will be possible to install a winch. I will keep you posted.