Put New Tires On My Voltage 3950 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2014, 10:31 PM   #1

Washington
Put New Tires On My Voltage 3950

Finally made the choice. Have read all the threads on the whole tire issue, did tons of reading and research. Made my choice, went with the Gladiator QR35-AS in 235/85/R16, G-rated.

Got new stems and had them balanced, didn't take much weight. Felt the difference in sidewalls while I had a new and old tire next to each other, holy cow! These are much stiffer, thicker, and the tires weigh a lot more. Less than a mile down the road and I could tell I made the right choice. Huge difference in how it handles, simply amazing.

I hate the fact I had to put new tires on a one year old trailer, bugs me big time. None the less, I am very glad I did. Would I have liked the 17.5's? yes, but they were not in the running due to cost. I put the money into 19.5's for my truck and love it, but think these Gladiator tires are the perfect choice for the Voltage. I looked into the Sailun S637 tires as well, but the guys I talked to suggested these instead.

I don't know how the prices I paid will compare, I live in Wa. state but got mine just across border in Idaho, closest large chain tire center to my house. The smaller ones couldn't be bothered to order them, and Les Schwab actually had four of the seven I needed in stock. I know they will have some if I ever have an issue. I paid $207 per tire, with all the costs including balancing, which I know many don't do on their RV, it was $1728.12 out the door.

I went on a long trip last month with the Akuret's, and with around 1500 miles round trip, they looked like I put over 20K miles on them. I had already been on the search for new tires, but made the decision that I would not drive another mile unless it was straight to the tire shop.
I have aftermarket TPMS with the stem mounted psi and temp sensors on the truck and trailer, will be watching for the difference between tires. Hope this helps those contemplating new shoes for their RV.

On edit: Forgot to mention the tire and wheel pressures. My factory wheels are stamped 110PSI on the back, and these tires are also 110PSI.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Shoes Voltage (1) (Medium).jpg
Views:	441
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1388   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Shoes Voltage (11) (Medium).jpg
Views:	373
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1389   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Shoes Voltage (14) (Medium).jpg
Views:	388
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1390  

MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:41 PM   #2

Oklahoma
Do you happen to know the speed rating on the Gladiator's? I looked at those today for replacements.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:52 PM   #3

Arizona
Keep us posted on how these Chinese tires work out for you. Since they're not ST's maybe they'll be reliable.

FWIW, I paid an extra $400 and got Michelin Ribs on my 3600.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:54 PM   #4

British Columbia
I think you will be happy with the Gladiators. I am very happy with mine.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:53 AM   #5

Iowa
I put Gladiator Gs on mine too, yes they're made in China but they're made good! World of difference in how the 3605 trails and handles now.
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:08 AM   #6

Colorado
Same rig, same tires... Incredible difference and they don't roll and leave much rubber on the tight turns! Keep getting asked about the tires when traveling.
splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #7

California
With a three axle trailer a "G" rated 16" tire I think should work. I went through eight "G" rated 16" tire on my two axle Teton before & went to 17.5. Once I switched to 17.5 my tire problem went away. As I still have my Teton those tire are now on my Voltage. The new Voltage tires are on my Teton. Teton doesn't get towed for any distance any more so feel fine with the tires on it.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 06:27 AM   #8

Washington
Update

Saturday morning was new tires, Monday afternoon the trailer was loaded and I was reinstalling my TPMS sensors on the valve stems, checking tire pressures, along with all the other pre-departure checks, before we left Tuesday morning.

First thing I noticed was the pressures were all around 100 psi, not the 110 psi I told the Schwab guys I wanted. I chalked that up to typical present day customer service, and put them where I wanted. Then I found one stem that had the lock nut loose, so tightened it, then went back and rechecked all the others, they were good. I called the tire guys up and asked why they didn't replace the stems like I paid for, and mentioned the loose nut. He told me they didn't have the right size stems in stock so they just "rebuilt" mine. I had noticed that the stems had corrosion and the marks from my sensors´ lock screws while mounting them. This is something I should have seen when the new tires were installed, but missed due to my excitement of finally having safe tires. I really should have caught this, and I did, a couple days later. They also should have been more forthcoming with the info of rebuilt, not new stems.

So, about 25 miles after I left home, my TPMS alarm goes off, low psi driver's center tire. I had reset all the parameters the night before for the new tires, it went off at 100 psi. Pull over at gas station, put gauge on it just to make sure not a bad sensor, it´s low. This is the same tire that had the loose stem lock nut. Got some soapy water, yep, leaking around stem. Contact closest Schwab, happens to be big rig friendly, explain the deal, they say bring it in and they'll fix me up.

They found that EVERY STEM was leaking, except the spare. In there working on it they showed me why it failed, why they would CONTINUE to fail, and the new style/size of stem they installed. If I hadn't been so unhappy I would have remembered to take pics to show you guys. They said the stem that comes in the factory wheels has a shouldered grommet, like the one they put in, only the one that came from the factory has a shoulder/edge on the stem itself that is to small to properly fit the hole in the wheel. It ends up cutting the lip of the grommet off as it tightens against the larger hole in the wheel, making it leak and fail. The new brass ones they installed were noticeably larger in diameter than the ones that came out.

The guys at Les Schwab on N. Division were great, Frank fit me in immediately, and had several guys working on it at once to get us back on our trip. They found the issue right away, and had the proper parts to fix it right.

Something to think about for those having issues even with new tires.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #9

Washington
Great that you were able to get this taken care of before a real problem developed. But it really shows the state of affairs that even an outfit that does nothing but tires can't even get it right. What would have happened had the owner not had a TPMS system?
Old 08-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #10

Nevada
I hope they will notify the regional manager so this kind of poor service issues are resolved with original installers can be corrected or removed from doing it again. This could have put in an unsafe situation.

2017 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW
2014 Voltage 3200
2005 FLHTCI
eightydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:55 AM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by eightydo View Post
I hope they will notify the regional manager so this kind of poor service issues are resolved with original installers can be corrected or removed from doing it again. This could have put in an unsafe situation.
In my general experience it doesn't hurt to complain, but seldom is anything done. I had one shop not torque the lug nuts down on my Nissan Altima, not once but twice. I wrote a letter and then switched shops. Last time I checked the same batch of clowns was still working there. FWIW I rotate every 5,000 miles and drive 50,000+ a year. Their loss.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 05:56 AM   #12

British Columbia
The biggest bug up my butt is these wet behind the years kids they get in these shops that are using the impact drivers cranked to the max.

I have had to replace one to many wheels because there impact driver busted out the lug holes.

Now when I buy tires, I tell the service writer that I'll torque the wheels myself, just put them on and get it out the door.

I've had wheels that I has to use a breaker bar with an iron pipe extension to loosen the lugs. There is no way I could have gotten that wheel off at the side of the road, never mind what would happen if it was my wife that had to change a tire.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:55 PM   #13

Tennessee
Gladiator QR35-AS in 235/85/R16, G-rated - NOT Impressed

I saw this thread when I was looking for replacement tires for my 3950. I purchased these tires and must say that I am not impressed. I was at first because of the lack of sidewall flex, etc, BUT I've had three tires that the tread has just come off them. I marked the first one up to a fluke, and replaced it, but on a trip last weekend I had one flat and had 2 more tires going bad so I had to stop and buy three tires just to continue my trip. I have less than 4000 miles on these tires. I've got to find a more reliable option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Finally made the choice. Have read all the threads on the whole tire issue, did tons of reading and research. Made my choice, went with the Gladiator QR35-AS in 235/85/R16, G-rated.

Got new stems and had them balanced, didn't take much weight. Felt the difference in sidewalls while I had a new and old tire next to each other, holy cow! These are much stiffer, thicker, and the tires weigh a lot more. Less than a mile down the road and I could tell I made the right choice. Huge difference in how it handles, simply amazing.

I hate the fact I had to put new tires on a one year old trailer, bugs me big time. None the less, I am very glad I did. Would I have liked the 17.5's? yes, but they were not in the running due to cost. I put the money into 19.5's for my truck and love it, but think these Gladiator tires are the perfect choice for the Voltage. I looked into the Sailun S637 tires as well, but the guys I talked to suggested these instead.

I don't know how the prices I paid will compare, I live in Wa. state but got mine just across border in Idaho, closest large chain tire center to my house. The smaller ones couldn't be bothered to order them, and Les Schwab actually had four of the seven I needed in stock. I know they will have some if I ever have an issue. I paid $207 per tire, with all the costs including balancing, which I know many don't do on their RV, it was $1728.12 out the door.

I went on a long trip last month with the Akuret's, and with around 1500 miles round trip, they looked like I put over 20K miles on them. I had already been on the search for new tires, but made the decision that I would not drive another mile unless it was straight to the tire shop.
I have aftermarket TPMS with the stem mounted psi and temp sensors on the truck and trailer, will be watching for the difference between tires. Hope this helps those contemplating new shoes for their RV.

On edit: Forgot to mention the tire and wheel pressures. My factory wheels are stamped 110PSI on the back, and these tires are also 110PSI.
BenBarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:39 PM   #14

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Keep us posted on how these Chinese tires work out for you. Since they're not ST's maybe they'll be reliable.

FWIW, I paid an extra $400 and got Michelin Ribs on my 3600.
Since this post got dug up I might as well give an update on my Michelin's after 5 years - they're wearing great and haven't had any issues.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:45 PM   #15

Tennessee
Which Michelins?

Which Michelin tires did you go with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Since this post got dug up I might as well give an update on my Michelin's after 5 years - they're wearing great and haven't had any issues.
BenBarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:23 AM   #16

Arizona
Truck tires, XPS Ribs
Old 05-15-2019, 11:29 PM   #17

Ontario
The rear two of my 3950's Bridgestone R250s need to be replaced after 7 years.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:49 AM   #18

Michigan
7 - Carlisle CSL16’s G rated yesterday. $1298.... we’ll see how they hold up. 2013 3950 replacing original tires.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:36 PM   #19

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13denalidually View Post
7 - carlisle csl16’s g rated yesterday. $1298.... We’ll see how they hold up. 2013 3950 replacing original tires.

Name:  IMG_0009.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  5.2 KB
Old 06-12-2019, 02:49 AM   #20

Ontario
Carlisle - there's a "blast" from the past.

joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote