Put New Tires On My Voltage 3950 - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2019, 02:56 PM   #21

Alaska
Have had good performance from Carlisle and they 75 mph speed rating

Wbgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:03 PM   #22

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Since this post got dug up I might as well give an update on my Michelin's after 5 years - they're wearing great and haven't had any issues.
You are getting close to replacement after 5 years of Arizona heat. I go 5 years on my sailboat trailer tires then replace them..even though they still have good tread!

15 years and no blowouts. Tow all over the country with both the boat and the trailer.

FYI...

People, Places & Things...for over 40 Years!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:59 PM   #23

Montana
I had those same gladiators on my previous toy hauler, two failed, the second one had the tread come off the tire, it still had 90 psi in it just no tread. I still have one almost new one, not sure why I’m saving it. I replaced them with 7.50 x 16 14 ply Hancocks and never had another problem as long as I owned it. Since we purchased the new 3655 I have decided to go with either the Michelin XP’s ribs or the Goodyear G 614.
erhardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:55 AM   #24

Nevada
I went with Sailum S 637, been on my Voltage 3895 for 3 years, I travel 3 times a year around 4,000 miles or more per year, one year 6,000 miles. I picked them because Big O tire shops are all over the U.S. I live in snow in the winter and travel to AZ in the summer, so far so good
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:00 AM   #25

California
All these truck tires seem to have a 3,042 pound max weight rating. Good for you guys with three axles but not us two axle guys that need 3,500 pound rates tires for our 7,000 pound axles.

I think the Goodyear Endurance with their E Load Range and 3,640 pound rating at 80 psi is a good option but need to get the 85 instead of the 80 aspect ratio which means a taller tire and less clearance by half an inch or so. Interestingly, my factory spare is an 85 so I guess I am safe. The 80 Endurance is only 3,420 pound rated so no good. Looks like they are a fairly new Goodyear tire made in the USA as opposed to China.

Also, possibly the Goodyear G614’s look like an option but in order to get to 3,500 pounds you need to pump them up to 100 psi which might exceed rim capacity and I don’t know how to find out the capacity of these Voltage branded rims. Plus, I prefer the 80 psi as should be a softer ride and not as harsh on suspension and stuff in the trailer.

Clearly many variables that need to be considered when replacing the original tires.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:47 PM   #26

Florida
I’m looking at g rated I’ve also just had all suspension looked over by reputable local rv Maintenence shop just for peace of mind was told all is good and straight will do again in 6 months was only Charged an hour labor worth it for peace of mind all our best from Florida
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 03:25 PM   #27

California
Spoke to someone at Dutchmen customer service yesterday and it seems like the factory wheels can support 100psi but to be honest I don’t have a lot of confidence in the woman I spoke to as when I asked her about going to an 85 aspect ratio tire she said it was not advised and I should only replace “like for like”. I then asked her if I should never use the factory spare and she was confused. I pointed out that the factory spare was an 85 so she then said to hold on and eventually said it would be fine. Needless to say I am not really impressed with her knowledge.

The more I think about this I am starting to feel like the Goodyear Endurance 235/85/16 with their E rating and only 80 psi needed with a weight rating of 3,640 lbs on an American made tire seems like a clear winner. Expectedly, they are pricier than the China Bombs but I think for $350 more for 4 quality tires this is the way to go. I had one blowout a few months ago on my original tire and was really lucky that it didn’t do any damage. I think I was very lucky given the slide wiring harness is right above it and the kitchen appliances too. In fairness it might have been a puncture and not a failure but I don’t know for sure and there was no sign of a hole but I think $350 is pretty cheap insurance.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:01 PM   #28

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoarizona View Post
You are getting close to replacement after 5 years of Arizona heat. I go 5 years on my sailboat trailer tires then replace them..even though they still have good tread!

15 years and no blowouts. Tow all over the country with both the boat and the trailer.

FYI...
Apples and oranges. I'm running Michelin commercial truck tires, not sailboat tires.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:24 AM   #29

Florida
They make a heck of a good commercial tire
Ovalvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:24 PM   #30

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Apples and oranges. I'm running Michelin commercial truck tires, not sailboat tires.

Too bad those truck tires you are running don’t have nearly enough load capacity to work on my TH because I would probably buy them. They appear to only have 3,042 lb. load capacity which is about 500 pounds light. My gut is they under rate them because so many tires in that category have the identical weight rating but I am not about to test them.